snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Urban Legends

Old 02 January 2008, 04:08 AM

When growing up in Soviet Union, I saw plenty of shoes hanging from power lines, but heard no explanation other than pranksters. It always freaked me out a bit, since I imagined someone really tall doing it and having an active imagination, the height of the imaginary showe-tosser would have to be 20 feet or so. I haven't heard the drug dealer marker explanation until I moved to the States.
Old 07 January 2008, 09:23 AM

Ponder 'Wired' sneakers spawn many theories

Look up. You might spy shoes swaying above cars and pedestrians near McKnight Playground in Manchester, on Starr Avenue in Bellevue, by Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Polish Hill -- and several other streets. Wondering what they mean and why they're there has spawned many explanations, here and in cities throughout the country.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_546180.html
Old 07 January 2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Look up. You might spy shoes swaying above cars and pedestrians near McKnight Playground in Manchester, on Starr Avenue in Bellevue, by Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Polish Hill -- and several other streets. Wondering what they mean and why they're there has spawned many explanations, here and in cities throughout the country.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_546180.html
Complete with a Snopes sighting!!
Old 01 February 2008, 05:36 AM

Ponder Shoes on Wires

There are a lot of theories to the practice, but no real conclusive answers. Probably the most popular assumption is the shoe flinging marks gang territory or lets you know where to buy illegal drugs.

http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=7805724
Old 01 February 2008, 11:03 AM

I saw shoes over a power line by a road outside Ulaan Baatar in Mongolia - I don't think there were many drug gang territories there. I'm not even sure where the power line was going.
Old 01 February 2008, 01:42 PM

http://mongolia.usembassy.gov/incsr2006.html

Quote:
Drug trafficking and abuse are not widespread in Mongolia, but continue to rise and draw the attention of the government. Mongolia’s young, burgeoning urban population is especially vulnerable to the growing drug trade. The government continues to implement the National Program for fighting Narcotics and Drugs adopted in March 2000. The initial five-year plan was completed in 2005, but the government has not yet decided on any changes for the next period. The National Council headed by the Chief of Police coordinates implementation of this program. The program is aimed at preventing drug addiction, drug related crimes, creating a legal basis for fighting drugs, implementing counternarcotics policy, and raising public awareness of the drug abuse issue. Mongolia is a party to the 1988 UN Drug Convention.
Old 04 February 2008, 12:46 PM

We did ask our guides about drugs in Mongolia and got a similar reply, but that was because we were out riding on the steppes and passed several empty vodka bottles and a plastic syringe on the ground, out in the middle of nowhere. I still can't quite believe that the syringe would have been for injecting heroin.

(I saw the trainers when we stopped to change a tyre on the bus, and it did remind me of the drug gang territory story, so I asked then. But there weren't even any buildings there in this case.)
Old 02 March 2008, 04:35 AM

Spit Take Shoe Chandelier Marks Your Suburban Gang Territory

Sneakers hanging from telephone lines has long been an iconic image of urban life — which is why it inspired designers Peter Pracilio and Oscar Lopez to develop this Shoe Chandelier.

http://gizmodo.com/362026/shoe-chand...gang-territory
Old 11 March 2008, 08:49 PM
Victoria J

Fight Gangs marking territory with shoes on telephone wires

This surfaced again in thelondonpaper freeby today :

Even odder than the fact that there appears to be no reason whatsoever for believing this to be the case (and no correlation between the shoes and high gang activity - you see the shoes anywhere and everywhere) but it appears to originate with an interview that with the Home Secretary which The Mirror is calling an exclusion - but there otherwise almost identical version misses that bit :

So where did thelondonpaper (whose name annoys me almost as much as the item itself) get the urban legend detail from ?

Victoria J
Old 12 March 2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
Which will surely lead to gangs throwing shoes over telephone wires, probably for the first time ever, just to annoy the people cutting them down.
Well that's what I'd do.
Old 12 March 2008, 11:01 PM
Victoria J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
Well that's what I'd do.
Actually it made me want to go out and do it, but I don't have the shoes to spare.

I still don't get this belief that it's gang related though. How in the world would it "mark territory" ? And how has no one noticed that it's pretty universal. I've seen shoes on wires just about everywhere in the UK.

It seems most likely to be linked only to young people who will only wear shoes that are of a certain quality (newness etc.), and young people enjoying a bit of competition. So old trainers end up being thrown upwards until someone hooks them over the wire.

Now if someone could explain the fruit stuck full of cocktail sticks that was on all the local bus stops a week ago I'd rest easier.

Victoria J
Old 12 March 2008, 11:07 PM

Throwing your boots over telephone wire outside your barracks is an old Army tradition to mark the end of your service.
Old 12 March 2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
Actually it made me want to go out and do it, but I don't have the shoes to spare.
I have a pair with a big hole in I've been meaning to chuck out. Hmm... that gives me an idea...
Old 12 March 2008, 11:19 PM

I've got several pairs of old trainers that I never wear any more too... hmm!
Old 12 March 2008, 11:20 PM
Victoria J

Maybe we should mark snopes meet sites with hanging shoes...

Victoria J
Old 12 March 2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I've got several pairs of old trainers that I never wear any more too... hmm!
I don't know if going to a "notorious North London housing estate" is many people's idea of a good time...
Old 12 March 2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
I don't know if going to a "notorious North London housing estate" is many people's idea of a good time...
I'm sure I could make Ipswich notorious too if I tried...

Actually, since it's already quite notorious for prostitution-related serial killing and drug addiction, perhaps that's not the best thing to aim for.
Old 17 March 2008, 12:41 AM

Theme Icon

For the first time in a long time I saw a pair of shoes hanging from a power line. They were hanging at the intersection of Cedar Lane and Saul Road in case any of you MD Snopesters want to check it out.
Old 19 March 2008, 04:58 PM
BigRoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyProgress
“What happens is that the shoe laces that are exposed to the elements, the rain and hot sun and gravitational pull,” Botkins said. “They tend to rot. Within a few days they fall down.”

That can't be true. I remember seeing a line outside my elementary school growing up, where there were always a few pairs of shoes. And they stayed up there for years and years, with a new pair being added every once in a while. I always wondered what they might be up there for. I always imagined it was just kids leaving little markers of where they grew up, or spent a lot of time. Never crossed my mind that it might be gangs. My neighborhood was fairly tame, but not totally sheltered from that type of criminal presence.

This thread has got me thinking I might spray paint an old pair of my sneakers gold, and throw them over some lines around my old stomping grounds, just for fun.
I never saw any harm or threat by this marking of territory. In fact, it always tended to make me feel like that particular neighborhood is just lived in, and full of activity and liveliness.