snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Urban Legends

Old 30 May 2007, 07:38 AM

Glasses

There is also a Wikipedia entry on shoe tossing (including the obligatory Snopes link).
Old 03 June 2007, 12:58 PM
xtargeter

I don't know about drug dealers, but from personal experience, when a GI was getting out of U.S. Army back in the late '60's, they would throw a pair of boots over the power/phone lines near the barracks. They wouldn't need them again and did it to tick off the powers-that-were. I saw it time and time again and knew many of the men that did it.
Old 03 June 2007, 03:38 PM
apersonofsomesort

(^_^) There is something about competitive boot throwing on there...haha...
Old 21 June 2007, 11:49 PM

Icon05

I haven't seen many pairs of shoes hanging from power lines around here lately, but I have seen many single shoes along various roadways. Passed a work boot lying along the MD Beltway this morning.
Someone also threw a single black sneaker into my front yard this past winter.
Old 22 June 2007, 05:19 AM

Slight hijact - when I am driving along our country lanes I often see items of ladies underwear on the side of the road. Now where as I understand that these are good spots to stop after dark for a bit of fun, who the hell discards their knickers out of the car window afterwards?

In the most recent instance I saw a complete trail of clothing over the course of about a mile. Blouse, skirt, hose, bra, knickers.

I probably owe myself a but what is this about?
Old 22 June 2007, 06:45 AM

Probably something to do with gang initiation. :o
Old 14 September 2007, 04:18 PM

Icon19 Council dispells 'bizarre urban myth'

Quote:
Stockton Council is dispelling an urban myth after a bizarre spate of people throwing shoes or trainers, tied together at the laces, over telephone cables.

This has led to a belief that it is a symbol a drug dealer is operating in the area, with the shoes acting as an Ďadvertí to his customers.

Councillor Steve Nelson, Stockton Councilís Cabinet Member for Housing and Community Safety, said: ďWeíd like to put peopleís minds at ease about this. We do not believe that a pair of shoes over a telephone cable is a sign a drug dealer lives nearby - itís more likely to be a sign that some idiot has thrown their shoes away!Ē
http://www.24dash.com/localgovernment/27521.htm
Old 14 September 2007, 05:46 PM
Laberoon

Here is Chelmsford there's an entire tree full of shoes [maybe more than 1 tree even], anf near where I work there's a pair of shoes hanging over a cable. I'll ask around about them, but I'm fairly certain they're nothing sinister.
Old 14 September 2007, 05:52 PM
Doug4.7

Icon202

Quote:
Councillor Steve Nelson, Stockton Councilís Cabinet Member for Housing and Community Safety, said: "... itís more likely to be a sign that some idiot has thrown their shoes away!Ē
That guy sure knows how to suck the fun out of a rumor.....
Old 14 September 2007, 09:33 PM
bg00029

I know when I was a kid we used to throw old shoes over the lines all the time. I guess it was fun. When my daughter was a couple years old there was a pair hanging down the street and she was scared to death of them. hahaha She never wanted me to drive under them. And she never took her eyes off of them when we drove by. Wierd huh?
Old 15 September 2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg00029 View Post
I know when I was a kid we used to throw old shoes over the lines all the time. I guess it was fun. When my daughter was a couple years old there was a pair hanging down the street and she was scared to death of them. hahaha She never wanted me to drive under them. And she never took her eyes off of them when we drove by. Wierd huh?
Not really. I figure I'd have been scared of a mysterious pair of shoes slung over power lines when I was really young. It's just a freaky thing to encounter, I suppose. We had several pairs hanging from the power lines at my grade school, all of which were tossed up there by students goofing around.

Come to think of it, there used to be a shoe store at the mall when I was a kid (mid 80's) that had a pair of old shoes hanging above the door, power line style. They were obviously old (the soles were worn smooth and there was a hole in one shoe) and had been painted gold. I think it was a Foot Locker.

-Doug
Old 15 September 2007, 04:55 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post

Quote:
Councillor Steve Nelson, Stockton Councilís Cabinet Member for Housing and Community Safety, said: "... itís more likely to be a sign that some idiot has thrown their shoes away!Ē
That guy sure knows how to suck the fun out of a rumor.....
Yeah, but he'e from Stockton(On Tees) and doesn't count(where I come from anywho )
Old 16 September 2007, 05:48 PM

Icon05 Shoe mystery hangs over city

Knotted shoes or sneakers hanging from utility wires are common in Newark. What it signifies depends on whom you ask. Some say it's a sign drugs are being sold in the area. Others say it marks a gang's territory. Or maybe it's just the result of some kids having fun.

Whatever it means, Newark Councilman-at-large Carlos Gonzalez believes it isn't good. His recent unanimously approved resolution calls on Verizon and PSE&G to help the city take the hanging footwear down.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey...570.xml&coll=1
Old 16 September 2007, 08:37 PM
claudia

I just saw this for the first time: last week in Fairborn, Ohio.
Old 24 September 2007, 07:54 AM
Delia Darrow

Shifty Eyes

Hmm. The 'drugs being sold in the area' speculation does not seem to hold water for me. What would be the good of such a sign? Granted, my firsthand information as a drug dealer is somewhat dated, but here are my musings:

If the 'advertisement' is over a line in a residential neighborhood, the assumption being that it indicates a house, what is the next clue? If the shoes mean that it's a house in that general area, how then do you select the right house? It isn't like all drug users have some secret communication network where they decide "Okay, the red Nikes, then the fourth house down on the left, if you are traveling north, is the one where you can buy the stuff."

For that to work, the dealers in the house would have to let the users know that's how you find the place. Oddly enough, there's already a way for dealers to steer people to their houses. It's called an address!!

Denizens of drug houses go out of their way not to attract attention or 'advertise' openly. To advertise their location openly in such a way would invite a swift visit from the police.

Itinerant dealers, which are now numerous, have pagers and/or cellphones. Transactions currently take place car-to-car at an agreed upon spot or at a neutral location in person.

The shoe thing would never work for street dealers, either. One problem would be the proliferation of shoes we have all seen in any area that has above-ground lines. Marked locations would get "hot", that is, the police would start staking it out, and boom, dealers would need to relocate. As that happened, they would need to hang new shoes, and then it would become a question of being able to tell if the shoes were current, or expired. What would you do then, as a customer? Hang about underneath the tennies, looking needy? Call out, "Heeeere, drugs druggie drugs, druuuugs, c'mere!"

Street dealers are easily found. They tend to be in known (usually high-crime) areas, places where transients congregate. The police crack down in one area, and the activity simply moves up the street. You can tell where they move to, because that sort of activity is obvious. Street dealing is high-risk, and much, much rarer than people seem to think.

Mention "drugs", or "drug dealers", and people's heads seem to go all swimmy. Reason goes out the window, and paranoia runs rampant. People need to stop, take a breath, and think with those unclouded brains they're so proud of.

~Delia
Old 24 September 2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laberoon View Post
Here is Chelmsford there's an entire tree full of shoes [maybe more than 1 tree even], anf near where I work there's a pair of shoes hanging over a cable. I'll ask around about them, but I'm fairly certain they're nothing sinister.
Oooh, another Chelmsfordian! Where is the shoe-tree? I haven't noticed any dangling shoes, maybe I'm not looking upward often enough .
Old 27 September 2007, 07:05 PM
Laberoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Oooh, another Chelmsfordian! Where is the shoe-tree? I haven't noticed any dangling shoes, maybe I'm not looking upward often enough .
By the skate park in town, you know near the pond in the park. Hmm, maybe the mystery there is solved
Old 10 December 2007, 11:45 PM

Default A few thoughts, of various relevence

The 'gang territory' story was mentioned on our local news (Midlands or Central, can't distinguish) a couple of weeks ago. Resulting in my cussing at the television- although to be fair, it was in the context of a story about cracking down on gang activity in Birmingham and more of a throwaway than a scare-story.

Other clothes, I've seen numerous items of clothes discarded around the centre of Coventry in the past months. I reckon if you collected them, you could build your own man. (I certainly don't want to be the one who finds the head.)

A street near me has a Playstation controller on top of a *very* high lamp-post. Been there for some years. Makes a good picture. It is opposite a school, so is probably the result of some kiddie japes (or the staff are really cracking down on consoles in the classroom...), but I'm sort of waiting for it to catch on.
Or I could spread my own UL about Gangs!!!, but with knockoff electronics instead of drugs- or, 'Ritual humiliation of child who lives in this house, who I trounced at GTA'. That sort of thing.
Old 17 December 2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBoo View Post
I don't think it's a food advert- it's something to do with lots of people being together, rather than the picnic. Do you know, every time I watch that advert I wonder what it's about, and I never quite catch it.
I just looked it up and it's for Heinz Salad Cream, so Llewtrah was right in the first place! I initially thought it was for Muller yoghurt, so that shows how effective it is as advertising Use of the word 'ladybug' annoys me no end too.
Old 17 December 2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElapheG View Post
I just looked it up and it's for Heinz Salad Cream, so Llewtrah was right in the first place! I initially thought it was for Muller yoghurt, so that shows how effective it is as advertising Use of the word 'ladybug' annoys me no end too.
Gah, spanked! Admittedly I'd forgotten all about this and not bothered replying. I made a real effort to pay attention to the ad and after all that I never got round to posting my findings on Snopes