snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 18 October 2018, 07:34 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
HSince it was zoned as commercial they weren't technically supposed to be living there.
How were they able to build a house on the land at all, if it was zoned commercial?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
the village had a rule saying that the garage had to have a smaller footprint than the house.
Which wouldn't necessarily mean the house would be smaller than the garage. While my house has quite a small footprint, it's two stories.

Seaboe
Old 18 October 2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
How were they able to build a house on the land at all, if it was zoned commercial?
I have no idea. Like I said, I was around 10 years old, so all I really remember was that they weren't supposed to be living in the garage.
Old 18 October 2018, 07:42 PM

Glasses

Maybe it had something to do with the building they were living in, then, rather than the zoning. Too bad you can't got back in time and ask for more details.

Seaboe
Old 18 October 2018, 07:48 PM

I'm guessing the garage was not approved for (human) occupancy.
Old 18 October 2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I've no idea what happened in that specific case, but, as a member of a planning board that often hears applications for permits for something that people weren't supposed to start doing unless they had the permit first: code enforcement officers can't be everywhere at once, and often aren't able to be many places in a given municipality very often. Many municipalities can't afford enough CEO's to cover the whole area often enough to make sure nobody gets very far with building something that they shouldn't. Quite a few places only have a part time CEO, because several towns/villages/etc. may be sharing that person (or even because that person also has another job entirely because the municipality is only paying for part time hours).

Sometimes, yes, this involves getting entire buildings up without the permits they were supposed to have before construction. Sometimes it's done out of ignorance -- we didn't know we needed a permit for that!* --; sometimes it's even done on purpose, because the people doing the building think the town won't make them take the building back down. Sometimes they're surprised to discover that the town has the legal right to take it back down (at least in NYState, I don't know about either Montana or Minnesota.)

*We're a lot more likely to believe you if this isn't the third or fourth time you've been hauled in to apply for something that you started doing without checking first. And yes, we've had that happen.
Old 19 October 2018, 04:25 PM

Facebook How small can tiny get?

Not Duncan Donuts houses, but these maybe taking the "tiny" house trend a bit too far.

Tiny Hidden Houses on Westerstraat

Quote:
Seven mini rowhouses fill the gap between 54 and 70 Westerstraat.

Eagle-eyed pedestrians strolling down Westerstraat in Amsterdamís Jordaan neighborhood will notice the house numbers on the north side of the street skip from 54 to 70. What happened to the seven missing addresses in between?
I was amused when this showed up in my feed after reading this particular thread.
Old 20 October 2018, 12:24 AM

That's adorable. I'm sure if I could just wedge in a tiny garage across the street I could make it work.