snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18 March 2017, 04:09 PM
htonl's Avatar
htonl htonl is offline
 
Join Date: 19 July 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 1,635
Cell Phone Coroner warning after man electrocuted in bath charging iPhone

Quote:
A man died after being electrocuted while charging his phone in the bath, an inquest has heard.

The death of Richard Bull, 32, which occurred when the iPhone fell into the water, was accidental, the coroner ruled. Dr Sean Cummings said he would also send a report to the phone’s manufacturer, Apple, to warn about the dangers.

“These seem like innocuous devices, but they can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom. They should attach warnings,” he told the inquest. “This was a tragic accident and I have no reason to believe at all that there anything other than it being completely accidental.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...charging-phone

I'm sure this was just a momentary bad decision in this case, but is "don't use electrical devices connected to the mains while you're in the bath" really something that we need to have special warnings about?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18 March 2017, 04:21 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,070
Default

Quote:
The coroner said that the postmortem had revealed burns on Bull’s right arm and right hand. Police told the inquest at West London coroner’s court that an extension lead was found running from the hallway into the bathroom.
So was it the cord from the phone or the extension cord it was plugged into that electrocuted him?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18 March 2017, 04:35 PM
htonl's Avatar
htonl htonl is offline
 
Join Date: 19 July 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 1,635
Default

The Daily Mail (sorry!) has more information but it's remarkably unclear.

Quote:
'When we arrived the ambulance service was there. They told me they had unplugged an extension cord, but that they could do nothing further as he had already passed away.

'The extension cord was coming from the hallway leading into the bathroom.

'Initial circumstances indicated suicide. The question was considered in the original call, but the cable wasn't near the bath, it had been run there to charge a mobile phone.

'The extension cable was on the floor and it appeared as though he had his phone charger on his chest and the part between the phone charger and the cable had made contact with the water.'
iPhone chargers that I'm familiar with plug in directly to the socket, so I can't really see what they mean by "the part between the phone charger and the cable".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20 March 2017, 02:23 PM
Sooeygun Sooeygun is offline
 
Join Date: 30 May 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
iPhone chargers that I'm familiar with plug in directly to the socket, so I can't really see what they mean by "the part between the phone charger and the cable".
I don't have an iphone, but all of my android chargers can either be used to plug into an electrical outlet or a USB port. They have a block shaped adapter that plugs into the wall and you plug the charger cord USB into it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20 March 2017, 02:26 PM
Mochrie99's Avatar
Mochrie99 Mochrie99 is offline
 
Join Date: 26 April 2005
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Posts: 395
Default

Just one question: Who the NFBSK charges their iPhone in the bath??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20 March 2017, 02:28 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 23,965
Default

Someone who wants to use their iPhone in the bath but has a low battery?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20 March 2017, 03:55 PM
htonl's Avatar
htonl htonl is offline
 
Join Date: 19 July 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 1,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I don't have an iphone, but all of my android chargers can either be used to plug into an electrical outlet or a USB port. They have a block shaped adapter that plugs into the wall and you plug the charger cord USB into it.
Yes, that's what I meant - to me "the charger" means the block you plug into the wall; the rest is just a USB cable.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20 March 2017, 04:45 PM
Beachlife!'s Avatar
Beachlife! Beachlife! is online now
 
Join Date: 22 June 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 27,880
Default

It seems like running the extension cord into the hallway was a big part of the issue as it would have circumvented the purpose for GFI outlets in the bathroom.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20 March 2017, 05:08 PM
Sooeygun Sooeygun is offline
 
Join Date: 30 May 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
Yes, that's what I meant - to me "the charger" means the block you plug into the wall; the rest is just a USB cable.
You don't need the block part to charge though. You can charge using just the USB cable plugged into a computer.

The article just isn't very clear.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20 March 2017, 05:39 PM
overyonder overyonder is offline
 
Join Date: 03 March 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
It seems like running the extension cord into the hallway was a big part of the issue as it would have circumvented the purpose for GFI outlets in the bathroom.
That depends if the UK even HAS GCFI outlets or any outlets for that matter other than for an electric shaver.

OY
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20 March 2017, 05:48 PM
Eoin's Avatar
Eoin Eoin is offline
 
Join Date: 25 May 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 156
Ponder

An iPhone charger has an input of 100-240V AC and an output of 5V DC. The battery itself produces 3.7V DC. I suspect it was the the input end of the charger, the one that plugs into the standard wall outlet (or in this case, the extension cord) that fell into the water.

"...with direct current, there is a feeling of shock only when the circuit is made or broken unless the voltage is relatively high. Even if the current amplitude is large, it may not occur during the vulnerable period of the cardiac cycle. With alternating current, a shock duration of longer than 1 cardiac cycle will definitely give stimulation during the vulnerable period."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763825/

You're not likely to kill somebody by tossing a flashlight into the bath water.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20 March 2017, 07:51 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
An iPhone charger has an input of 100-240V AC and an output of 5V DC. The battery itself produces 3.7V DC. I suspect it was the the input end of the charger, the one that plugs into the standard wall outlet (or in this case, the extension cord) that fell into the water.
Yes, thank you for providing the output numbers. That's why I was so confused: if the iPhone or the USB were to fall into the water, it shouldn't be enough to cause serious injury. The Navy doesn't even require power special permission to work on energized less than 30 VAC components because there have been zero deaths ever caused by such a low voltage.

So it only makes sense if the charger (or basically the end of the extension cord) itself fell into the water. I don't understand why Apple should be particularly interested in this: what would they be able to do to stop it from happening again? Like notifying a shoe manufacturer that someone walked off a sheer cliff wearing their shoes...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cat rips through shower curtain for bath time TallGeekyGirl Wild Kingdom 1 08 March 2017 07:03 PM
Man Back To Life After Coroner Pronounces Him Dead hoitoider The Doctor Is In 25 20 March 2014 03:28 AM
Apple to probe death of Chinese woman who used iPhone when it was charging snopes Crash and Burn 13 06 August 2013 04:32 PM
Coroner Links Mom's Death to Coke 'Addiction' snopes The Doctor Is In 18 14 February 2013 07:47 PM
Bear bath Jenn Fauxtography 8 02 October 2010 04:07 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.