snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 14 July 2018, 01:37 PM

I need to have more than one cat, partly because the cats seem to like it that way, but partly because when I'm grieving a house with no cat at all in it would be more than I could bear.

But people are different. And many people do need time -- wildly varying lengths of time -- before again sharing that space.

Morning, I suspect that eventually a cat will offer you a cat. Take the time you need.
Old 14 July 2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Yes, new management about a month ago. Some free services, and a much more reasonable 20 bucks a year for third-party hosting.
There must be at least some third party hosting for free, too, because my Photobucket hosted pictures are showing up again and I'm definitely not paying anything.
Old 15 July 2018, 02:13 PM

Glasses

Thank you, Thorny Locust.

My health and finances are shaky; those are the main reasons I don't think it would be fair to take on another creature's well-being when I'm not sure of my own. Also, I'm not sure if I could handle the grief again if something were to happen. One of the main reasons I tried so hard to get well when I was in the ICU for six days was so I could get home to Ms. B.

I think that my love for fur creatures will have to be of the "Aunt" variety -- petting and praising friends dogs and cats and perhaps bringing small treats when I visit. Ok, most likely bringing small treats, since I already gave a peanut butter doggy snack to a lovely lady named Zoey.

So, if anyone visits southeastern Ohio -- bring your critters to be fawned over!

M
Old 15 July 2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
I'm not sure if I could handle the grief again if something were to happen. One of the main reasons I tried so hard to get well when I was in the ICU for six days was so I could get home to Ms. B.
The depth of your grief is also the depth of your potential joy.

And 'someone to stay alive for' is also a thing that matters.

But again, only you know what and when is right for you.
Old 17 July 2018, 02:30 PM

Glasses

Morning, at the end of my block is a Dog Oasis, with water, tennis balls to borrow, and a bucket of treats (secured to keep the raccoons from stealing them). The owners of the oasis love dogs, but do not have one. However, because of the oasis, they know every dog in the neighborhood, and every dog owner knows them.

It sounds as if this is something a great dog Auntie could do, if you have the time and energy.

ETA: Can you get food poisoning from pistachios? I ate pistachios for lunch on Saturday, started feeling awful later that afternoon, and continued to feel awful until about noon yesterday. Now I only feel blah (not good, just not bad any more).

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 17 July 2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:03 PM

According to this law firm - http://www.foodpoisonjournal.com/foo...-so-wonderful/ you can get salmonella. But since I don't trust a law firm to use "real" facts, I looked for CDC reports. The answer is that you can get salmonella from pistachios, But it's rare in my analysis.

Last edited by RichardM; 17 July 2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Clarifying the differences between what the CDC says and what I think.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:17 PM

I think you can get food poisoning from just about anything. If it's edible, there's probably a number of other species that can live on it, some of them hostile to human digestive systems.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:24 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
But since I don't trust a law firm to use "real" facts
Then why did you link to them?

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2018, 03:26 PM

I also cited the CDC. I can link to them if you wish. But the law firm came up first. And the CDC reports were on that same case although there were some other earlier reports. Please see how I edited my post.
Old 17 July 2018, 06:03 PM

Baseball

On a completely different note:

I want to throw a short thanks out to Brad From Georgia. About 3 months ago you answered my question on editing your fiction. I have never enjoyed editing anything I've written (professional or hobby writing). But I did my professional editing out of a sense of duty rather than a somewhat enjoyable experience.

You described it as a chance to perfect and improve your world (my paraphrase of what you said). I have since adopted that as my MO for editing my hobby writings.

Thanks to you, Brad, you have more than doubled the length of time I get to enjoy my worlds.
Old 17 July 2018, 07:52 PM

Glasses

My point, RichardM, was that taking pot shots at law firms while also linking to them sends, at best, a mixed message.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2018, 08:55 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Morning, at the end of my block is a Dog Oasis.....

Seaboe
That sounds wonderful.

Maybe I'll start small, like always carrying a doggie and kitty treat in my purse.

My young cousin and I daydreamed together while on a nice drive. We were going to start a cozy bookstore with a small coffee shop inside, attached to an animal shelter where we'd hire folks from the senior center to hang out with the animals and provide games and pettings. If he ever wins the lottery, I'm going to hold him to that business contract.... LOL.

M
Old 17 July 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My point, RichardM, was that taking pot shots at law firms while also linking to them sends, at best, a mixed message.

Seaboe
Only law firms that seem to be ambulance chasing.

There is a novel about the large law firms chasing the class action law suits involving medical suits. The book focuses on kidney cancer supposedly caused by something.

These law suits seem to be judged on emotion, not science but then I haven't studied these, only read about them in the news.

But it is only by consolidating all the individual cases into a class action suit that individuals can challenge a large corporation. The chief twit twitter is noted for being able to out lawyer those who have sued him. That is what class action lawsuits are supposed to work against.
Old 18 July 2018, 12:09 AM

Too late to edit, but I get a laugh out of the law firms who advertise for members of a class action lawsuit starting off with "If you or a loved one died or were harmed by....." I mean, if you died, how are you going to sue? Recent commercials have rephrased this somewhat. But since these causes all seem to be different, it would appear that the same advertising agency is used by the different law firms.
Old 18 July 2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Only law firms that seem to be ambulance chasing.

There is a novel about the large law firms chasing the class action law suits involving medical suits. The book focuses on kidney cancer supposedly caused by something.
And they made a movie about it, if it is the one I am thinking of. It was something in the towns water supple. Julia Roberts starred I believe.
Old 18 July 2018, 03:34 AM

Erin Brockovich?
Old 18 July 2018, 11:49 AM

Erin Brockovich is a real person and the film was based on a "true story" (in inverted commas because I have no idea how much artistic license they used), rather than a novel.

RichardM might be thinking of that, or it wouldn't surprise me if somebody like John Grisham might have written a novel based on something similar. The film is more about Brockovich's attempts to prove the water company liable, rather than about class action suits, as far as I remember.
Old 23 July 2018, 10:50 PM

It wasn't Erin Brockovich but I just don't remember what the book was.
Old 24 July 2018, 05:36 PM

Today I went to pick up a prescription and happened to meet the wife of a coworker. The same coworker who said last week (unprompted) that they don't want more children.

She was buying a pregnancy test.

I didn't say anything to her (I don't really know her that well) or him (awkward) and don't plan on it. Unless some time in the future they mention it.
Old 25 July 2018, 12:40 PM

Jolly Roger

I just ordered a couple hundred metres of rope off eBay so I guess that means I've committed myself to making a spooky pirate ship for Halloween ....