snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 July 2018, 06:35 PM

Well, when I saw "An Evening with John Cleese" a few months ago he did spend much of the time talking about how awful young people are these days and that sort of thing.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 16 July 2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 16 July 2018, 06:58 PM

Thinking back, for me it was less political and more that he did a series of corporate motivational videos, just back when I was starting to become very cynical about that sort of corporate motivational stuff. (Around the time Dilbert was popular and fresh). So at first I expected a hilarious satirical send-up of corporate nonsense, whereas it turned out to actually be corporate nonsense.

I do seem to remember his wading into politics a few times in ways I disagreed with too, but as I said, I decided he was somebody who I wanted to ignore, and so I did. I can't give any specific examples of that at this distance. But now that he disagrees with Brexit and dislikes Trump, perhaps he was never as far gone as I thought. (eta) He does still sound as though he's gone rather "grumpy old man" though.
Old 16 July 2018, 07:02 PM

To be fair, it's not really all that bold a stance to oppose Brexit or Trump.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:34 AM

snopes take on it:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...medium=twitter

Quote:
In the end, Trump and the First Lady emerged from their car in the quadrangle of Windsor Castle at exactly 5:00 PM, according to CNN’s video footage. Their handshakes with Queen Elizabeth took place a few seconds later, at 5:01 PM...
The other 'breaches' are also discussed in the article.
Old 17 July 2018, 02:01 AM

OMG, will this mean the trumpettes start to believe Snopes?

Probably not.
Old 17 July 2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I think you are giving Trump too much credit. I don't think this was all a plan for a power-play. He was just being a clueless, inconsiderate oaf which is a distinct pattern with him long before meeting the queen.
I’m not sure anyone is asserting that he was acting out of character!
Old 17 July 2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Thinking back, for me it was less political and more that he did a series of corporate motivational videos, just back when I was starting to become very cynical about that sort of corporate motivational stuff. (Around the time Dilbert was popular and fresh). So at first I expected a hilarious satirical send-up of corporate nonsense, whereas it turned out to actually be corporate nonsense.

I do seem to remember his wading into politics a few times in ways I disagreed with too, but as I said, I decided he was somebody who I wanted to ignore, and so I did. I can't give any specific examples of that at this distance. But now that he disagrees with Brexit and dislikes Trump, perhaps he was never as far gone as I thought. (eta) He does still sound as though he's gone rather "grumpy old man" though.
I thought he was for Brexit (pre-referendum). Or am I mis-remembering? I would imagine the corporate videos were purely to make money. He did very badly in his divorce.

This twitter thread has a great analysis of the brooches the Queen wore in relation to Trump.
https://twitter.com/SamuraiKnitter/s...037352449?s=09

If that's TL,DR - the Queen always wears brooches and they usually have a significance. The day he arrived she wore a brooch personally given to her by the Obamas (personal, not state gift). Next day it was the Sapphire Jubilee brooch that was a gift from that foe of Trump, Canada. For the Trump tea she wore the brooch she inherited from her mother that was famously worn by her mother at the king's state funeral. Oh, and the outfit she wore at tea was the some one she wore to open Parliament post-Brexit.

Last edited by Sooeygun; 17 July 2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:32 PM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
OMG, will this mean the trumpettes start to believe Snopes?

Probably not.
Don't hold your breath; right now Local Talk Show Host is asking callers whether or not Trump's praising of Putin is OK. He's pointing out the big difference between the US and Russia (starts with a D). Doesn't matter to the Trumpettes though. Here's a sample:

LTSH: Democracy is how/why Trump was elected.
Caller(s): (silence)
LTSH: How would you feel if Some Other President, say Pres. Obama, conducted himself this way? Pumping up a known dictator?
Caller(s): Serious crickets with some bullfrogs thrown in for good measure.
LTSH: That's what I thought. Let's hear from....

So don't hold your breath people.
Old 17 July 2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
LTSH: Democracy is how/why Trump was elected.
Ehhhhhh... I'll go with skewed-representation democracy.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:25 PM

That's the only kind the US has.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
snopes take on it:
OK, we (me included) have just spent four pages discussing, with varying degrees of indignation, something that for the most part didn't happen.

Well, I've been wrong before --
Old 17 July 2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I thought he was for Brexit (pre-referendum). Or am I mis-remembering?
I would have expected him to have been, based on what I thought his politics were... and you're right, he was somewhat outspoken about "being governed by a bunch of European bureaucrats" even last year. But I read some sarcastic comments that made me think he's changed his mind. Pretty much everybody is making sarcastic comments about Brexit now though, whichever side they were on before the referendum.

I think the comments that confused me were to do with his apparent decision to move to the Caribbean (Nevis) to get away from the UK because he's so fed up with all the fallout from the vote. I'd apparently misinterpreted that to mean he didn't like the Leave decision, but apparently he just doesn't like the fact that the Leave decision has led to inevitable chaos because the Leave side had several diametrically opposed factions who still disagree with each other even now about why we're leaving and what the approach should be. He also thinks that the "scare stories" told by the Remain side (many of which are now clearly true and not scare stories at all) are equivalent to the at-best misleading claims on the Leave side. He doesn't understand why people are so passionate when "nobody knows what will happen". Seems he mostly blames the newspapers.

That does seem like he's backtracked a bit. (I love that the Leave voters feel they need somebody to "blame" for the consequences of their decision. That at least implies that they recognise that the consequences haven't been great so far. If it was as brilliant as some of them still claim to think, you'd have thought they'd be looking for people to praise!) And I can't help but think that "nobody knows what will happen" is a pretty good reason not to vote for a major change to the global situation of your country, and that if he was fed up with being "run by a bunch of European bureaucrats" then he could have just moved to Nevis to get away in the first place, rather than voting to screw things up for the rest of us and then moving to Nevis to get away from the consequences.

So actually no, I don't agree with him as much as I'd thought. I'd just read some funny sarcastic comments from him lately and misinterpreted them to mean that he might not like Brexit.
Old 17 July 2018, 08:44 PM

It is generally considered bad manners to capitulate nearly all the global alliances a head of state and her governments have worked tirelessly her whole long life to strengthen and grow. It's the one thing you're just not supposed to do.
Old 17 July 2018, 09:04 PM

Yes, nothing like him taking the side of the Russian autocrat he clearly adores over his own National Security and intelligence and law enforcement, and taking half the blame for having our elections meddled with, to remind me not to get distracted by petty things like manners, and whether the Queen was secretly dissing him with her brooch.

For the record, I retract my view that he should have done the head bow. Because apparently it's not rude not to, and because I'm reminded that what he does is so much worse than just being a jerk to an old woman/head of state/whomever. I wish we only had to worry about him being a jerk.
Old 18 July 2018, 11:42 AM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Yes, nothing like him taking the side of the Russian autocrat he clearly adores over his own National Security and intelligence and law enforcement, and taking half the blame for having our elections meddled with, to remind me not to get distracted by petty things like manners, and whether the Queen was secretly dissing him with her brooch.
Does Her Majesty's brooch squirt water? Hey, I'm sure The Queen has a sense of humor!
Old 18 July 2018, 01:29 PM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Hey, I'm sure The Queen has a sense of humor!
From all accounts she does have a vibrant sense of humour.

Trump's latest lies about the visit: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-c...-queen-for-65/

Apparently he and the Queen reviewed her troops for the first time in 70 years.

She's been Queen for 65...

...and routinely reviews her troops. They even have a special parade for it annually. And she does it when she receives foreign heads of state, such as Obama during his visit.
Old 18 July 2018, 01:42 PM

I believe she's been Queen for about a year and a half longer than that article says. She was Queen before her coronation -- her reign began upon her father's death, right? Sadly for Trump, that still doesn't make him right.

Didn't Sarah Sanders start this on the day of the tea?
Old 18 July 2018, 02:06 PM

Baseball

Quote:
I believe she's been Queen for about a year and a half longer than that article says. She was Queen before her coronation -- her reign began upon her father's death, right?
You are right, of course.

She did accede to the throne in February 1952 upon the death of her father. And in June 1953 she was crowned as such, and for the first time was able to wear all the symbols of the Monarchy.

While she was able to exercise her duties as monarch immediately upon the declaration of accession from the Privy and Executive councils, much of her ceremonial and honourary roles would be cut until after the Coronation.

I guess a similar comparison could be made with the President. If the President dies or is incapacitated, the VP become President immediately. Or, at least assumes all the duties, until the swearing in ceremony.

But you are absolutely correct, also, that it does not help Trump's claim.
Old 18 July 2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
She was Queen before her coronation -- her reign began upon her father's death, right?
She's queen-designate before the coronation, she only becomes queen when she's invested during the ceremony.
Old 18 July 2018, 02:14 PM

After a year-and-a-half, I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you, that the American news media, and to some degree, the American public, hasn't picked up Trump's pattern of making virtually everything he does:

-the first time it's ever happened
-the first time in decades its ever happened.
-the best thing... evar!
-something only he could ever have done.

~Psihala
(*Trumped up... literally.)