snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 16 July 2018, 02:20 AM

Mouse

It’s generally a good rule regarding life: if someone feels a need to repeatedly assert how virtuous they are, chances are pretty good that they suck at whatever virtue they are asserting. Also if someone tries to weasel out of discussions by saying, “Technically it isn’t...” chances are pretty good that it is exactly what they deny it is and the speaker needs to hang their head in shame.
Old 16 July 2018, 11:37 AM

Jaded

Yup. Or as DH is fond of saying: those who preach the most practice the least.
Old 16 July 2018, 11:47 AM

There was a good line from a Hey Arnold! episode: "Well if you deny it so much, that means it must be true!"
Old 17 July 2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
There was a good line from a Hey Arnold! episode: "Well if you deny it so much, that means it must be true!"
In the context of 'I'm not an x, but I'm going to say this thing that only somebody who's an x would say' there's a good deal to be said for that line.

However, I just discovered, having not thought about it for many years, that some tiny bit of my head is still royally ticked off at the person who, some 45 years ago, having taken a Psych 101 course, was bound and determined that she knew what was going on in my head better than I did.

Yes, I know it's possible for somebody else to understand something about me that I don't consciously understand. But a college course and a very slight acquaintance didn't qualify her to insist, when I said that she'd got it wrong, that my denial proved that she had it right.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:36 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

Yes, I know it's possible for somebody else to understand something about me that I don't consciously understand. But a college course and a very slight acquaintance didn't qualify her to insist, when I said that she'd got it wrong, that my denial proved that she had it right.
Sounds like "Medical Student's Disease". I remember taking an abnormal psychology class in college and the first thing the professor told us was (in so many words) don't psychoanalyze others! The textbook also cautioned against the same thing.
I've had to tell DH the same thing in the past.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Sounds like "Medical Student's Disease". I remember taking an abnormal psychology class in college and the first thing the professor told us was (in so many words) don't psychoanalyze others! The textbook also cautioned against the same thing.
I've had to tell DH the same thing in the past.
Medical Student Syndrome typically isn't diagnosing others, at least in early phases. It's commonly diagnosing yourself. If I had a nickel for each person who has self-diagnosed ADD, hypothyroidism, or something like that...
Old 17 July 2018, 02:06 PM

D'oh!

<---me right now. Of course! I don't know if there is a term for diagnosing other people.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:20 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Or we can go back to Shakespeare--The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Except that protesting does not necessarily make the opposite true, IMO. While a lot of "I'm not X" and its ilk are clearly false, if I say "I'm not black, but this experience has happened to me, too," it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, nor does it mean I'm black. Certainly, the experience of a black person would most likely be different than mine (if we're talking about an event where someone would think it necessary to specify they're black), but that doesn't make my statement invalid.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2018, 03:33 PM

DawnStorm, there ought to be, if there isn't. It's pretty common.

I've caught myself trying to do it, from time to time.
Old 17 July 2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Or we can go back to Shakespeare--The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Except that protesting does not necessarily make the opposite true, IMO. While a lot of "I'm not X" and its ilk are clearly false, if I say "I'm not black, but this experience has happened to me, too," it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, nor does it mean I'm black. Certainly, the experience of a black person would most likely be different than mine (if we're talking about an event where someone would think it necessary to specify they're black), but that doesn't make my statement invalid.

Seaboe
I think when the denial happens is also important in terms of context. If you deny something after somebody else keeps bringing it up as in thorny locust's case, I'd say that's a valid denial. It's the pre-deniers who bring up stuff before anybody said anything about it that are suspect.

Valid:
"You're racist for not liking so-and-so because they're black!"
"I'm not a racist, I just think so-and-so is annoying."
I believe this person might not be a racist.

Suspect:
"I'm not a racist, but have you ever noticed how annoying so-and-so is?"
I question why this person felt the need to include their clause.
Old 20 July 2018, 09:40 PM

Crash

When closing the bathroom door with your right hand, make sure your left index finger isn't in the crevice between the other side of the door and the wall.

smitty"OW!!!!"kins
Old 25 July 2018, 01:32 PM

Take care of your mental health, esp. with a stressful job. It's hard to me to acknowledge when things are tough, and I can hide it very well.

MG
Old 30 July 2018, 06:53 PM

D'oh!

Don't just assume there's an umbrella in your car; check the closet first. Grab bumper shoot if necessary.
Old 01 August 2018, 01:55 PM

Don't click on those videos of the deployed soldier surprising his/her child - you know you will cry. Every. Single. Time.
Old 01 August 2018, 02:08 PM

What about when the returning soldier is greeted by their loving dog?
Old 01 August 2018, 05:25 PM

Or the person being told they're going to be a grandparent...
Old 01 August 2018, 06:16 PM

Or when Darth Vader and a squad of stormtroopers reveal that a person is going to be a father.
Old 02 August 2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Or when Darth Vader and a squad of stormtroopers reveal that a person is going to be a father.
I haven't seen that one but I'm assuming it included the line "Obi Wan lied to you - YOU are the Father!"
Old 02 August 2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I haven't seen that one but I'm assuming it included the line "Obi Wan lied to you - YOU are the Father!"
If the presumed father doesn't respond with "No. No. That's not true. That's impossible!", I'm gonna go there and slap someone!

Old 02 August 2018, 01:00 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Don't click on those videos of the deployed soldier surprising his/her child - you know you will cry. Every. Single. Time.
I don't click on them because I think they're incredibly manipulative and I question the long-term impact it has on that child. I guess I'd put this in the "things you shouldn't have to tell people" category: don't play mind games with your kids, it's bad enough they think you could die or be called away at any moment, at least let them have some warning before you come home. Because of course when you deploy again (and you will) now instead of expecting you home in a month, they'll be expecting you home in... a couple weeks? any day now? maybe today? are they just around the corner hiding? Oh no! what if they're dead and mom/dad/caretaker just hasn't had the nerve to say so yet?