snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 28 September 2017, 12:13 AM

Icon24

I was made happy by the entire cast of "Legally Blonde" from the local theatre turning up in a bar for a post-performance birthday celebration earlier this evening, just at the moment when the bar (which actually has a restaurant license, meaning that they can be flexible about closing) was about to kick us out early because we were the only table left.

Not only did the bar decide to cancel the "last orders" that had supposedly been rung, but it went from almost empty, to suddenly full of happy, boisterous and extremely attractive people. It's quite nice to be surrounded by lots of loud and happy and attractive women having a good time, on an average night when you'd thought that nothing much else is going to happen.

It did make me realise just how much more attractive than average you need to be to have an acting career, though. Even a relatively low-key stage career; and even taking into account the hairdressing and makeup. Any one of the women who came in (and probably the men too - I'm less of a judge) would have been about the most attractive person in there if they'd come in earlier in the evening, rather than twenty or thirty of them at once at the end.*

*(eta) My attempts at gender-neutrality, which I put in place in order to make myself look less lecherous, went wrong here. There were twenty or thirty people in total. Only about half of them were very attractive women. I should perhaps work on overcoming the pedantic tendencies that compel me to clarify this.

Last edited by Richard W; 28 September 2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 28 September 2017, 02:20 AM

Is you aspiration when you grow up to be a dirty old man? If so, you may have succeeded.
Old 28 September 2017, 01:02 PM

Yep, I can imagine happily sitting dribbling in the corner of a bar somewhere during my old age and pretending to read my book, if the rest of the place was full of attractive women...! Actually I'll probably end up doing that even if it isn't.
Old 28 September 2017, 02:28 PM

With the death of Hugh Heffner, there is a vacancy.
Old 28 September 2017, 10:30 PM

I’ve been specifically requested by our priest to do a reading this Sunday.

*blushes*
Old 29 September 2017, 03:51 PM

I was hanging out with a favourite 4 year old friend of mine yesterday and she very seriously explained to me all about "aminal habintats". She was arranging all her stuffed animals into their habintats and I commented "Oh I see you've put seals and tigers in the same place, I didn't think they usually got along" to which she replied "Oh no fighting allowed we're all friends here" .
Old 29 September 2017, 07:15 PM

Glasses

Sue, when I visited Australia, I heard a little boy run up to his mother and tell her to hurry, because there was a "rock wobbly" near the trail that she had to see.

I've referred to wallabies as wobblies ever since.

Seaboe
Old 29 September 2017, 09:24 PM

Seaboe;

Your post reminded me of the brush-tailed rock wallaby colony in Kalihi Valley on Oahu, Hawaii. They are not native, but years ago they escaped from an estate and have settled in quite nicely.

BW
Old 29 September 2017, 11:15 PM

The guy I've been seeing came over last night to sort out a minor issue we were having nd after it was resolved and he went home, I realized that as a whole, my life is pretty good right now. I feel like I'm ticking off the boxes of things I'm supposed to do as an adult. I love my job (ditching my last job and taking a leap of faith was the best decision I ever made), I'm healthy (having finally found a treatment for my vulvodynia*), I have my horse, I have a great group of friends, I have a promising relationship, I have a roof over my head and an income property. Overall, I think I'm adulting correctly.

*Whited out for TMI.
Old 29 September 2017, 11:36 PM

You're doing it quite well I'd say. I ought to know 'cause I've been doing it wrong for quite a while and I know right when I see it.
Old 01 October 2017, 01:49 AM

Mouse

Car Karaoke. There’s just so much fun to be had in belting along to Bohemian Rhapsody.
Old 01 October 2017, 01:55 AM

I went to see Ben Folds last Tuesday. He played the song I requested, even though he didn't pick up my paper airplane (on this tour he's taking requests by having the audience write them on paper airplanes and throwing them onto the stage halfway through the show).
Old 01 October 2017, 08:13 AM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Why is it that Teen Vogue suddenly has some of the best journalists the world? Never mind the why. It makes me happy good journalism still exists.
If you're on Twitter I recommend following Lauren Duca. She's the author of Teen Vogue's great article "Donald Trump Is Gaslighting America".

Brian
Old 04 October 2017, 06:39 PM

My barn got a new pony over the weekend and I got to ride her today. She's so cute and I just love her.
Old 04 October 2017, 06:43 PM

I turned someone on to the Traveling Wilburys today.
Old 04 October 2017, 07:18 PM

I love the Traveling Wilburys. I regret not seeing them in concert more than I regret not seeing Tom Petty.
Old 05 October 2017, 04:01 PM

DH and I got a Home Equity Line of Credit approved and we settled on it this past Monday. While it's disconcerting to have a lien on the house a decade after the last mortgage payment, the money will allow us to make some needed home improvements.
Old 05 October 2017, 10:30 PM

Today my 8 year old's scout troop decorated super hero capes. Afterwards I found out that the leader had bough red aprons at the dollar store and cut the side ties off to make these capes. Aprons into superhero capes is awesome for a group of little girls. I don't care what Edna Mode says.
Old 06 October 2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
Today my 8 year old's scout troop decorated super hero capes. Afterwards I found out that the leader had bough red aprons at the dollar store and cut the side ties off to make these capes. Aprons into superhero capes is awesome for a group of little girls. I don't care what Edna Mode says.
Even despite the numerous fatal examples given? I mean, sure, none of them will likely be sucked into a jet turbine, but a revolving door isn't unlikely.
Old 06 October 2017, 11:27 AM

I wasn't convinced by Edna Mode's examples, either. Why don't we design capes with a predetermined breaking point, so the superhero (or girl scout) can break free if the cape is caught on something (or by someone)?

And Aud 1, kudos to your daughter's troop for finding such a neat solution!
Closed Thread