snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 07 October 2018, 10:41 PM

Reading Language questions and discussion

Continuing the discussion from the little things that annoy you thread.

It seems like we have lots of interest in pronunciation, accents, language, grammar, usage, etc. I could see this being an ongoing thread, but if not we can at least use it to un-hijack the other one.
Old 08 October 2018, 12:33 AM

I'd be interested if you can find the link to the site that talked about whether the speaker thinks they pronounce two similar words differently and whether other people actually hear the difference.
Old 08 October 2018, 12:53 AM

OK, I'll come reply to this one over here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I think I pronounce cot and caught differently, but that might be just because I'm a visual person; if you recorded me saying each of them in a sentence, then played back just one of the words, I'm not sure I could tell you which one I was saying. I'm similarly uncertain about Mary and marry, though I definitely pronounce merry differently.
I double checked by noticing how my lips, jaw, and tongue were moving. My lips move distinctly differently when I say 'cot' and when I say 'caught', for instance.
Old 08 October 2018, 02:32 AM

Esprise Me, I guess it doesn't really say if they think they pronounce them differently, but it seems likely they would. This is the map I was thinking of. https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...ump-to-license

There's a paper (link is to PDF) here studying the production/perception split for a different merger. It sounds like people who still produce the sounds differently lose the ability to perceive the difference rather than the other way around. Which sounds consistent with your experience, and mine as well.
Old 08 October 2018, 02:20 PM

Glasses

I say cot and caught differently, and I know it because I can hear the difference. I also say Dawn and Don differently. Upon analysis, my lips are in different positions as I say the vowels.

I don't know how much my awareness is influenced by the linguistic information I have studied, and the basic linguistics class I took in college (the teacher wanted me to go into graduate linguistics, but I'd already been accepted into law school).

Seaboe