snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 08 October 2018, 04:42 PM

I think there is a distinction between: simple weddings are possible for some people, and: anyone can have a simple weddings if they wish.

The former is certainly true, and your examples, Seaboe, illustrate that. The latter is not true when you factor in Mouse's point. It's true that practically anyone *can* have a simple ceremony and reception, but there are lots of people for whom that choice and the fallout from it, would not be simple, and would not be worth it, even if it would be their preference, *all other things being equal.*
Old 08 October 2018, 04:43 PM

But, that's not saying that you can't have a simple wedding. Its, "I can't have a simple wedding and keep my emotionally abusive family in my life". I believe that's probably true, but its a different statement.
Old 08 October 2018, 05:07 PM

That's an overly narrow definition of "simple" to me. It's like saying, "Winning the lottery is simple, you just need to pick the correct set of numbers from a pool of 2 billion possible combinations." Technically correct, but kind of glossing over the real issues.
Old 09 October 2018, 06:43 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I think there is a distinction between: simple weddings are possible for some people, and: anyone can have a simple weddings if they wish.

The former is certainly true, and your examples, Seaboe, illustrate that. The latter is not true when you factor in Mouse's point. It's true that practically anyone *can* have a simple ceremony and reception, but there are lots of people for whom that choice and the fallout from it, would not be simple, and would not be worth it, even if it would be their preference, *all other things being equal.*
Well, you can have a ginormous wedding and still do it simply. A friend of mine held her reception at a local Elk's Club and had the food catered from a local grocery store. They didn't stress about designer this or special that. Everyone pretty much had a wonderful time. A co-worker focussed on food and dancing and got her cake from WalMart and from what I can tell everyone had a blast.

That and really, not everyone has a big family. Leaving out the second and third and fourth cousins no one has either met or did so literally 45 years ago, were I to marry and all my relatives attend- not likely; 3 of them I met once 23 years ago- that would be 9 people.