snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 21 September 2018, 01:46 PM

Icon23 There's No Stopping Toronto's 'Uber-Raccoon'

Toronto has been called the "raccoon capital of the world."
Quote:
The "trash pandas" — as they're (possibly) affectionately known — have been particularly adept at getting into Torontonians' garbage bins.
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/16/64759...s-uber-raccoon
Old 21 September 2018, 02:06 PM

We lived in downtown Toronto for a year and had a lot of raccoon run-ins. A couple of them woke me up one night fighting? mating? Either way, they make an awful noise. We also had one take up residence in the front porch roof that was so bad our landlords sometimes were afraid to come in/ out of their front door. (We lived in the basement.) I also have fond memories of finding a baby raccoon in my friends' backyard when we were about 12 and trying to feed it banana on the end of a stick (because it hissed so much we were afraid to get our hands anywhere near it.)

The best was in New York though, when we saw a raccoon eating an entire, fully wrapped sandwich, as if it had just ordered it to go from the local bodega.
Old 21 September 2018, 02:31 PM

Default Raccoons bust into Toronto woman’s home, stare her down while defiantly eating her br

S'mai bawb:

I've lived in Toronto for over a 1/2-century and I can assure you that raccoons are doing quite well here in the city. They're highly adaptable and very smart which makes them perfect for big city life.

Further, they are not afraid of us humans. There was a story in the Toronto Star yesterday about three raccoons who broke into a house, stared the homeowner down while eating her bread.

Though they have many detractors, I'd say - based on no empirical evidence whatever - many Torontonians have a live-and-let-live with our neighbourhood trash pandas.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Trash Pandas 1, Green Bins 0" ab Arthur
Old 21 September 2018, 02:59 PM

I may have recommended Raccoon Nation from the Nature of Things on CBC (and shown on PBS on Nature).

Here is the trailer. I couldn't quickly find a universally watchable link. It's on the PBS website, but I can't watch it (geo-blocked) and it's on Daily Motion.

Fascinating how the urban raccoons are evolving away from their country cousins because they need different skills to live in the city.
Old 21 September 2018, 04:32 PM

I live only a couple blocks from the river. The storm trains act as a highway for raccoons. Our raccoons are intelligent and very bold. I've learned not to leave anything they might find tasty outside for long.
Old 21 September 2018, 05:12 PM

Canada

After all the stories about raccoons taking the subway, I find myself disappointed that this is not about a Raccoon that took an Uber...

Old 21 September 2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
After all the stories about raccoons taking the subway, I find myself disappointed that this is not about a Raccoon that took an Uber...

Toronto raccoons only use taxis and limos to get around
Old 21 September 2018, 05:40 PM

Baseball

There was recently on social media a series of posts about a raccoon found dead on a Toronto street. It started with the ward councillor's tweet to the public works department to remove the carcass. After a while, a shrine started to appear and in the night, a vigil was held with candles, cards, toys etc. It was the next day that the carcass was finally removed.

I'm at work now (on lunch) and can't access social media. I'll see if I can find it after work.
Old 21 September 2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
The best was in New York though, when we saw a raccoon eating an entire, fully wrapped sandwich, as if it had just ordered it to go from the local bodega.
The raccoon in question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
There was recently on social media a series of posts about a raccoon found dead on a Toronto street.
I enjoyed how he ended up with a blunt somehow:

https://www.boredpanda.com/dead-racc...mpaign=organic
Old 21 September 2018, 08:01 PM

Baseball

The Bored Panda article did not include the last photo in the photo play.