snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 30 August 2018, 03:59 PM

Default The U.S. Is Seizing Passports from Hispanic Americans in South Texas

...and Is Denying Them to Others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ion/2018/08/29

Quote:
In its statement, the State Department said that applicants “who have birth certificates filed by a midwife or other birth attendant suspected of having engaged in fraudulent activities, as well as applicants who have both a U.S. and foreign birth certificate, are asked to provide additional documentation establishing they were born in the United States.”

“Individuals who are unable to demonstrate that they were born in the United States are denied issuance of a passport,” the statement said.
Note that these are US natural born citizens whom the government suspects their parents obtained fraudulent birth certificates. In at least one case, a man had his passport revoked when reentering the US and was sent to a deportation center.
Old 30 August 2018, 05:11 PM

Baseball

The response needs to be swift.

Deport a man named Smith who was born to a midwife in Brownsville. Accuse him of being born in Mexico. Deport Smith to Mexico.

Then see how fast Smith gets his case resolved.

They are not even trying to hide their racism.
Old 30 August 2018, 05:13 PM

Link's not working for me, but googling got me this version.
Old 30 August 2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Link's not working for me, but googling got me this version.
And that story gives this working link to the original.
Old 30 August 2018, 06:57 PM

It is totally insane that they are taking a "guilty till proven innocent" line on people, especially since it sounds like anything wrong happened when they were newborns. Maybe just declare all non-whites to be provisional citizens, without the right to vote but with the ability to serve in the military, pay taxes, and work?

I do wonder how this went on under Obama and W. Bush but no one ever said anything. Maybe at least people are on the lookout for BS like this now since Trump is being loud about supporting ideas like this?
Old 30 August 2018, 07:43 PM

Under Bush, it was probably a combination of multiple things. One, since Bush wasn't as rabidly anti-Hispanic as Trump, people weren't looking for it as much. Secondly, as ACLU article talks about, until 2009, you didn't need a passport to travel into Mexico and come back, so not having a passport would have been less of a deal. Thirdly, during that time, there may have still been heightened concerns about homeland security, so people were less likely to speak up against security practices.

But the big difference, I think, is that the previous issues were that people were being denied passports when they applied. This case involves people with issued passports having their passports taken at the boarder and being treated (at least initially) as illegal immigrants. That's a major escalation from the previous cases where it was simply denial of an application. This is major for several major reasons. It can leave people much more vulnerable and in worse situations since they are separated from their homes and jobs. It also creates a much more severe time window as they may be deported if they are not able to provide the extremely difficult paperwork that is sometimes requested. Lastly, the article doesn't say this, but it is possible that the decisions to revoke passports are being made at a lower level than previously, creating a much larger group that can make this decision. This means that there are more people that could be capriciously making the decision that someone of Hispanic decent can't be a US citizen.

While it is correct that this was ongoing during the Obama administration, the case was settled in favor of the citizens by June of 2009, so it would have been less than 6 months of Obama's administration.
Old 31 August 2018, 03:45 AM

Mouse

It is the reoccurring meme with Anti-Immigrant bigots.

Bigots: We're not opposed to immigrants, just illegal ones.

*proceeds to make it damn near impossible to immigrate legally. proceeds to actively persecute those who do.*

Of course in this case, it's actually worse since, as the OP says, they are going after people who are citizens by birth, meaning they are prosecuting people for the crime of being of Hispanic descent in the USA.

Quote:
It is totally insane that they are taking a "guilty till proven innocent" line on people, especially since it sounds like anything wrong happened when they were newborns. Maybe just declare all non-whites to be provisional citizens, without the right to vote but with the ability to serve in the military, pay taxes, and work?
dfresh, I think that's honestly what Trump wants. This country has a long history of treating PoC as grist for the mill. We spent some two hundred years of slavery combined with Jim Crow, building our economy/country on the blood, suffering, and sacrifice of PoC. It isn't too far-fetched to believe that Trump and co. would be onboard with what you suggested. They have no problem taking with PoC working, fighting, and suffering on behalf of the nation, but god forbid you suggest that they should have some of the benefits of being citizens, rather than just all the drawbacks.
Old 31 August 2018, 12:08 PM

Mouse, I think there is a large group that is cool with that. I remember reading about a group of farmers out west who were OUTRAGED that ICE was raiding their farms to remove the workers who were there without papers. Sure, they had all voted for Trump and said Build The Wall, but they were outraged that meant THEIR workers were being deported. I think they all thought the anti-immigration stuff just meant no families, no people who wanted to stay (or vote), but the people who cross the border to just quietly work would be welcome.
Old 03 September 2018, 03:35 AM

Mouse

With so many of the Trump apostates, the meme I’ve seen circulating on the Internet seems so appropriate: “I never thought the leopards would eat my face,” sobs person who voted for the Leopards Eating Peoples’ Faces party. They somehow thought that none of the stuff Trump said would affect them. It’s one reason I have little sympathy for Trump apostates. Trump is not a subtle man. He spent his entire campaign saying what he’d do and now you’re shocked, shocked that he’s actually doing these things. The apostates are basically going, “I knew he’d NFBSK people over, but I never thought I’d be among them.”