snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 25 March 2015, 01:15 PM

Icon07 I got DH a wheelchair

DH and I have planned to go to some concerts later on this year, and lord knows that his back makes it impossible for him to walk long distances, even with a cane. I floated the idea, DH accepted, and we ended up getting a nice used manual wheelchair from Craigslist. DH took it out for a spin in the neighborhood yesterday. He even found some fingerless gloves he'd had. He plans to get used to maneuvering the wheelchair, and hopefully build some upper body strength. I guess he can now say that I push him around! Or at least when we go someplace.
Old 25 March 2015, 03:10 PM

Good for your husband for making the best of using a wheelchair! My mother resisted using one for years. It was a source of pride to her that she not use it but what she didn't think about (or really care about either I guess) was how difficult her insistence on walking with a cane was for the rest of the family. Any outing naturally had to be taken at her pace -- slow -- and she needed to stop and rest frequently. Well of course what ended up happening was she rarely went out of the house after awhile . When she finally gave in and started using her wheelchair it opening up the world to her again.
Old 25 March 2015, 03:50 PM

Driver

I'm really impressed that DH accepted the idea so readily! I was expecting a 'something to think about' response [transl: HELL NO!!!]. However, he did attend a rally in DC earlier this year, and the people he was with did provide a wheelchair for his use. He found it very helpful. This is a load off my back for the reason you mentioned in your post. I've also floated the idea of him getting a handicapped permit, but he would need to speak to the doctor about that. Hmmm, now that I think about it, I should have him check out the Motor Vehicle Administration site for how-to's.

Dawn--glad I have an Outback!--Storm
Old 25 March 2015, 07:06 PM

I got my mother one about a year ago at a thrift store - $25. We have not used it all that often, but it has helped and she appreciates being able to go places that were just too long a walk previously. When we were looking for footrests (duh - I did not even think those would be separate), I tried a Salvation Army thrift store, where they gave them to us for free. They do that with all orthopedic-type supplies - crutches, braces, wheelchairs, walkers, etc. You don;t have to go to their services to appreciate that (or to get those things). I know when we no longer need any such things, I'll be giving them to Salvation Army and let others in need have use (and get a tax deduction, of course).
Old 27 March 2015, 03:04 PM

Glasses

My father loved to walk. I mean, loved it. He plotted out a 1 mile, basically flat route through his assisted living facility. When his balance got to the point he needed a walker, he pushed what had been my mother's wheelchair instead, because the wheels were bigger (he wouldn't let us get him a nicer walker). That wheelchair meant a lot to him, even though he didn't sit in it all that much.

Seaboe
Old 27 March 2015, 04:20 PM

When my mother passed away, I wanted to donate her wheelchair to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, but my sister insisted that we keep in in case anybody in the family should need it...and of course i was tagged as the guy who had to store it.

I should be ashamed of this. When i brought it home, I set it out on the patio, got in it, and played with the dogs. They loved it--I'd chase them, spin, and they'd chase me. I got to sit down, and they got to imagine they were chasing a very small car.
Old 27 March 2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
I should be ashamed of this. When i brought it home, I set it out on the patio, got in it, and played with the dogs. They loved it--I'd chase them, spin, and they'd chase me. I got to sit down, and they got to imagine they were chasing a very small car.
How big are the dogs? If they are something like huskys or GSD's, you might rig up a harness and teach them to pull you in the chair.
Old 28 March 2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
How big are the dogs? If they are something like huskys or GSD's, you might rig up a harness and teach them to pull you in the chair.
Love the concept, but they're both under 30 lbs.