snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 17 September 2012, 06:16 AM

Military Just Stay

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/juststay.asp
Old 17 September 2012, 09:20 PM

The plot twist at the end is a perfect example of the "several cups of sugar" added to the chicken soup that makes a heartwarming story into glurge. It adds nothing to a story that lacked nothing.
Old 17 September 2012, 09:27 PM

Icon06

Really. Apparently a dying old man isn't sufficiently tear-jerking; it has to be a dying old man whose son has just been killed.
Old 17 September 2012, 09:41 PM

An old man dying alone, at that. Even if his son was alive, he wasn't there for the old man's final moments, and that's heart-wrenching. Just giving someone a caring hand to hold at the end--even a stranger's hand--is a wonderful act of compassion.
Old 17 September 2012, 10:05 PM

Odd too since the ending bit about "Next time somebody needs you, just say", an odd moral given the people in this story may have been there had they not been on the other side of the world and dead.

You are right though it was a pretty good story (HIPAA aside..) save for the tacked-on ending.
Old 17 September 2012, 11:35 PM
Barbara

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Just giving someone a caring hand to hold at the end--even a stranger's hand--is a wonderful act of compassion.
When someone is hurting - whether physically or emotionally - it's so very often the little things, the "so silly that I don't understand why I'm even doing them" things, that make all the difference.

I was moved to say something of that nature to a pal whose concern for me this summer when everything went to hell in a handbasket left (in my mind anyway) something to be desired.

Quote:
While including me in your prayers and sending kind thoughts my way was very kind, even better would have been every now and then also stopping by on your way home from work to read to me. Or telephoning once in a while if for no other reason than to pass along a silly joke you'd heard.

Someone you know (me) has been in horrendous amounts of pain for more than a month, and while you could have done nothing to alleviate the physical suffering, you could have reached out from the kindness within you to help her feel a little bit valued and worried about even as you momentarily took her mind off the agony and the fear circumstances had left he to fight her way through.
Old 18 September 2012, 01:16 AM

It's a shame that the story is such a terrible illustration when the message is sound. You should care for people who need you, whether they mistake you for their missing son or any of that business, or not.