snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 29 September 2008, 04:15 AM
Lady Luzhin

Icon22 Woman with removed ribs?

http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/smallwaist.asp

I'm no doctor, but I think if you had your ribs removed, it would damaged the organ if you were to wear the tight tops this woman does. Looks painful.
Old 29 September 2008, 04:33 AM

That's Cathie Jung. She hasn't had any ribs removed, she's just a very dedicated practioner of corsetry.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...ng_person.aspx

She has the world record for the smallest waist on a living person.
Old 29 September 2008, 04:47 AM

Is that safe?

And can anyone do it, or do you have to...I don't know, work up to it?
Old 29 September 2008, 04:52 AM

It takes years of training in successively tighter and tighter corsets to get to that point, but it is theoretically possible by anyone.

As for whether or not it's 'safe'.... it certainly doesn't look comfortable or healthy, but Cathie is in her 70s and she's been doing it for decades at least, so it can't be TOO bad for you...
Old 04 October 2008, 10:31 PM
Irene

TV

Wasn't this the same woman that was on Oprah earlier this (or maybe last) year? I think they mentioned that her organs weren't damaged, but her rib cage had shifted and become closer to her body, and, her intestines and stomach were so squished by the corset that they had moved down to her pelvic area, giving her a somewhat bloated look. I assume this is the same person?
Old 05 October 2008, 01:32 PM

I've always sort of liked the Victorian corseted look, but this is different. She just looks wrong to me. Maybe it's the difference in clothes? And, of course, most Victorian women didn't take it to that extreme.
Old 05 October 2008, 03:49 PM

I wonder if she ever had babies.
Old 05 October 2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeatles View Post
I wonder if she ever had babies.
From the article by snopes, it says she "got into my forties, and the kids were gone", so I assume yes.
Old 05 October 2008, 08:31 PM

I think my mum got taken with this one. The other day she told me she was sent an email about a woman who had her ribs removed and I told her it probably wasn't true (mainly because I don't see how a removed rib would lead to a tiny middle). I'll have to ask her if it was this woman.

I've seen similar images of women who do this as a part of body modification or fetish. Obviously few were quite so tiny middled as this woman but there certain were those who looked quite startling at first. I think it's pretty amazing as a piece of body modification simply because it's amazing what a body can endure and how much it can adapt to!
Old 05 October 2008, 09:19 PM

I'm confused - I thought this forum was to discuss whether the picture is really what it's claimed to be. If there's already a Snopes article saying what it is, what's to discuss on here?

The article says there weren't ribs removed, it's corsetry that caused her tiny waist - so why is there a post asking about rib removal?
Old 05 October 2008, 09:40 PM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthyb View Post
I'm confused - I thought this forum was to discuss whether the picture is really what it's claimed to be. If there's already a Snopes article saying what it is, what's to discuss on here?
Because the article wasn't there when the thread was started.

I often retroactively replace the OPs in threads with pointers to our articles so that people who search via Google (which indexes our message board threads quite high in their rankings) will find those articles.

- snopes
Old 05 October 2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Because the article wasn't there when the thread was started.

I often retroactively replace the OPs in threads with pointers to our articles so that people who search via Google (which indexes our message board threads quite high in their rankings) will find those articles.

- snopes
Thanks, that clears things up for me. I appreciate it.
Old 06 October 2008, 12:03 AM

Everything just moves around like it would during a pregnancy? Er...what moves around in a pregnancy? and what's moving around for her?

Even though I think it's a bit scary/painful looking, there's a little part of me that is thinking, "Oh, cool..." I mean, it might be fun to dabble...
Old 06 October 2008, 01:16 AM

Icon102

I found this article on the wikipedia kinda neat.
Old 06 October 2008, 04:15 AM

I remember watching a special on tv about corsetting, and she was on it. it was quite fascinating the methods these women used, and how after a certain point, it's almost required for them to keep wearing the corsets as it weakens the muscles and causes the potential for spinal damage.

as for what moves around during a pregnancy, lots of little bits and pieces, intestines, kidneys... they get moved around to accomidate the uterus and growing baby.
Old 06 October 2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Everything just moves around like it would during a pregnancy? Er...what moves around in a pregnancy? and what's moving around for her?

Even though I think it's a bit scary/painful looking, there's a little part of me that is thinking, "Oh, cool..." I mean, it might be fun to dabble...
During pregnancy, all your organs shift to make room for the baby. I imagine that's what she was referring to.
Old 06 October 2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Everything just moves around like it would during a pregnancy? Er...what moves around in a pregnancy?
Body Before Pregnancy

Body at 20 weeks pregnant

Body at 36 weeks pregnant

From any of those URLs you can navigate to see the changes in increments of 8 weeks or so.
Old 06 October 2008, 07:46 PM

I find the look quite disturbing - not because I think it would have been painful to achieve or because it would necessarily damage her inner organs, but just because the over all effect makes her look like a cartoonish drawing of a woman, and it makes you realise how different to the average woman's figure the fantasy really is.

There's also something vespine about her, which is interesting but peculiar.

I'm curious as to why people automatically jump to 'ribs removed'. Is that a real procedure that has ever been done for cosmetic reasons? And, what with the tendency of urban legenders to go straight for the most gory explanation, is it even more horrific than what extreme corseting does? There's the slicing and dicing aspect of surgery, but compressing and restraining isn't without it's charms. I know I immediately assumed corsetry without reading the description first.
Old 07 October 2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twankydillo View Post
I think my mum got taken with this one. The other day she told me she was sent an email about a woman who had her ribs removed and I told her it probably wasn't true (mainly because I don't see how a removed rib would lead to a tiny middle). I'll have to ask her if it was this woman.
Rib removal can be performed as part of a plastic surgery procedeure known as abdominoplasty. The rib removal doesn't make your stomach smaller, just creates the hourglass shape.

SFW

If you google "surgical rib removal", you'll find message boards and other sites talking about it.
Old 07 October 2008, 05:53 AM

The Re/Search book "Modern Primitives" has quite a bit on extreme corsetry including rib-removal. The internal organs shift around as the corset is progressively tightened. Actually, I like the tight feeling of a corset, but my starting shape isn't conducive to getting an hourglass look.