snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 08 September 2018, 02:42 PM

Default My dog is a finicky eater

Asta the poodlely one has been getting very finicky about what she wants to eat. Recently, I've been offering her 2 choices at meal time with the rejected one going to the fridge for the next meal. We even changed food bowls from plastic to ceramic. This morning was the ultimate in irony. Rather than offering her 2 different flavors, I put the same flavor in 2 different bowls. She sniffed 1, then the other. Finally she ate 1 bowl. So I emptied the full can in the chosen bowl and it disappeared. The spoonful in the other bowl is still untouched.
Old 08 September 2018, 02:48 PM

Whalephant

Are you sure she's not a cat in disguise?
Old 08 September 2018, 02:50 PM

I think she is using Hulu to take cat lessons while we are out.
Old 08 September 2018, 05:29 PM

Too much offer.

My dogs didn't want to eat for 7 days when I got them (they were used to a pecking order where the alpha ate first, and the beta ate last... and ate everything that was left). I was serving them the same meal at the same time each in their own bowls, and I ate at the same time.

If they refused to eat, I'd put their food away and they'd be served the same chow 12 hours later.

Eventually they did eat.

OY
Old 09 September 2018, 02:41 PM

And then last evening, I tried the same food in 2 bowls trick again. This time she wanted both bowls with the same food. Then this morning, 1 flavor, 1 bowl was fine.

As to why I don't train her to eat what and when I feed her, she is 12 years old which is getting up there for a standard Poodle. Up until a year ago, she has always been the beta dog. Now that she is an only child, she likes it.
Old 08 December 2018, 05:36 PM

So we finally quit buying "Dave's" dog food since it finally became apparent Asta wasn't going to eat it. So I went to WalMart and bought 1 each of all the cheap dog foods. That sort of worked. Now we are trying Purina One. That seems to work but this morning was typical. I took a can out of the refrigerator that had gotten a turn down last night. Still got a refusal so I opened another can and got a refusal on that. So I put a spoonful of each on the plate and she decided the original flavor was the one she wanted. ARRRGGGG!!!!!
Old 08 December 2018, 10:32 PM

Your dog is catting at a higher level than my cat. (My cat just decided his favorite delicious special broth that I buy in bulk because that way it's slightly cheaper than molten gold) is beneath him. But at least he's still eating his food.)