snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 11 August 2018, 09:15 PM

Hello Kitty I can haz House Panther?

So I wasn’t planning to adopt another cat so soon, but Mom, who volunteers at(and lives next door to)our local shelter, called me Wednesday morning to tell me that they had a young cat who she thought would be perfect for me. According to her rabies certificate, she’ll be a year on the 30th. I had to get used to claws again(China was already declawed when I got her), and she’s already nailed me once when I was on the throne and she tried to jump onto my lap. Her papers call her Elvira, but I’ve decided to rename her Shadow, because, you know, she is.

Obligatory ‘splody-prevention photo:

https://flic.kr/p/Lc7oCc
Old 11 August 2018, 10:02 PM

I see your house panther and raise you a Night Fury.

Her real name is Silence but sometimes Toothless.

https://flic.kr/p/29WsJau
Old 11 August 2018, 10:39 PM

Pretty kitties!

My parents have a petite black cat named Inky. I didn't know black cats were harder to find homes for; I might pick one on purpose next time. Why those beauties aren't in higher demand is a mystery to me.
Old 11 August 2018, 10:48 PM

Icon18

Silly superstition...
Old 13 August 2018, 04:03 AM

Mouse

It is a silly superstition. I owned three black kitties for several years and generally, things worked out. Yeah, Mister came to realize that his ear-splitting yowl could make his subjects do anything, but that seems par the course for kitties. Though it is the reason Mister acquired nicknames like The Little Czar and Chairman Mao.

If you’re wondering about the last name, remember I said Mister yowled, which is true. Other cats mewed or meowed, but Mister was a yowler through and through. When he yowled, it almost sounded like he was saying, “Mao!” After a while, we wished that we had named him Chairman Mao. Not only would it have fit his autocratic personality, we’d be able to brag about how he’s the only cat who could say his own name.

Smittykins’s kitty actually looks a lot like my late Mister, not just in coloring, but also in the shape of the head/body. Kitty’s mouth is open in the picture, implying that she was in the process of voicing her opinions on a matter. I wonder if she’s also a yowler or if she’s more quiet.
Old 13 August 2018, 04:25 PM

Hello Kitty

Congratulations on your new house panther. It looks like Shadow is already making herself at home (and claiming your chair as hers). As a Kitten Academy fan (see the Kitten Academy thread), I follow one adopter who has five panthers (including 3 brothers/sisters from KA). So there are some real fans of black cats out there.

I hope you and Shadow have many happy years together.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Where's All The Cat Toys? Only Shadow Knows" ab Arthur
Old 13 August 2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Smittykins’s kitty actually looks a lot like my late Mister, not just in coloring, but also in the shape of the head/body. Kitty’s mouth is open in the picture, implying that she was in the process of voicing her opinions on a matter. I wonder if she’s also a yowler or if she’s more quiet.
She's pretty quiet(she's got this adorable little squeaky-meow), but she isn't afraid to voice her opinion. Plus, those little daggers at the end of her toes got my right foot last night----through the covers.
Old 13 August 2018, 07:53 PM

Pretty kitties, both of you.

FWIW, the ASPCA has said that black cats and dogs being passed over for adoption is a myth. They are actually adopted out at the highest rates at ASPCA shelters. Now, they are also the most likely to be left over at the end of adoption events, and are the most common color being euthanized. But from what I have found, it's because there are more of them - black is just a common color for dog and cat fur.
Old 14 August 2018, 07:11 AM

Bonsai Kitten

Congrats on your lovely girl.
I wish you two many happy years together

My first cat was a house panther named Midnight. I got him in May 1971 & he was with the family until September 1986. His life included 6 household moves. He was a trooper.

Silence is a lovely girl too.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:40 PM

Hello Kitty

There's no going back once you've gone black (cat)!