snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 11 July 2018, 10:48 PM

Jaded Papa John's founder used the n-word on a conference call

Quote:
If you haven't already, it's probably time to reconsider your trash pizza alliance: According to a report from Forbes, John Schnatter, the founder and former CEO of Papa John's, used the n-word during a conference call in May.

https://mashable.com/2018/07/11/papa...ounder-n-word/
Old 11 July 2018, 11:52 PM

Didn't we already know he was a racist? I mean, he was an open Trump supporter, wasn't he?
Old 12 July 2018, 11:51 AM

I would like to say that I am sorry this happened, but I am not.
He has spoken in opposition to having minimum wage laws. Compared to Mike lllitch, also from Michigan, and the founder of Caesar's Pizza, this guy is a complete retrograde. I understand that Schatter resigned from the Board of Trustees of the University of Louisville as well. They might have some kind of Board policy suggesting that members who make a public spectacle of themselves fall on their sword.

Ali
Old 12 July 2018, 12:48 PM

Papa John's pizza is flavorless trash with too much cheese on it. And its founder is a racist.
Old 12 July 2018, 01:13 PM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Papa John's pizza is flavorless trash with too much cheese on it. And its founder is a racist.
Your post reminded me a dog park conversation about pizza I was a part of (a few years ago). We were talking about the various national brands and when Papa John's came up, I swear one of my friends turned a lovely shade of green. I reminded everyone that local is the best.

IIRC, I told D to tell us all how he really felt.
Old 12 July 2018, 02:11 PM

Chef

It hasn't been explicitly stated in this thread yet, so I'll point out that Schnatter has resigned as chairman of the board of Papa John's.

Okay, here's my take on it. Schnatter's use of the N-word was when he said “Colonel Sanders called blacks n------.” In other words, he was using the word in an indirect quote to point out racism in others, and therefore implicitly acknowledged that use of the word in reference to people was wrong. He apparently did not actually use the word in any context except this discussion of the word.

I've stated elsewhere on this forum my belief that the mere utterance of this word, and other cruel and hateful words - when discussing them as words - may be insensitive, but is not in itself necessarily cruel and hateful. (If you care, you can read that thread here. You may disagree, and that's fine, but I'm not going to reopen that debate in the present thread.) Since this was a role-playing exercise, I wouldn't think use of any particular word was necessarily cause for concern.

But here's the thing: Schnatter has exhibited signs of racism prior to this. For God's sake, the conference call was "aimed at preventing future Schnatter-related PR disasters." And while he has gone on record as supporting higher wages for front-line workers and lower pay for executives in his company, his politics do not reflect supporting the lower rungs of the socioeconomic ladder universally. There's a lot of reasons why the guy is a disaster and his resignation is welcome news. Why are the news stories obsessed with the word, rather than the big picture message he's been sending?
Old 12 July 2018, 03:17 PM

I agree with your basic premise that academic use should not be an issue but I don't think that this is what this was. I think this was an attempt to show how he's not racist because other people are more racist and that worse things have happened that what he's done.
Old 12 July 2018, 03:23 PM

GenYus nailed it. Saying 'other people have done way worse' is hardly a compelling argument. Especially when the 'other person' died almost 40 years ago.
Old 12 July 2018, 04:49 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I agree with your basic premise that academic use should not be an issue but I don't think that this is what this was. I think this was an attempt to show how he's not racist because other people are more racist and that worse things have happened that what he's done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
GenYus nailed it. Saying 'other people have done way worse' is hardly a compelling argument. Especially when the 'other person' died almost 40 years ago.
Not disagreeing with either of you here. What bugs me is that so much of the coverage and attention focused on his use of the word ("Papa John's founder used the n-word on a conference call", "Papa John's founder John Schnatter resigns after using racial slur", "Papa John’s founder resigns as chairman after using a racial slur on a call") rather than on his attitude and general dickiness. It's almost like saying you can be a racist jerk and run this company, so long as you never say this word.
Old 12 July 2018, 05:32 PM

I think that's a case of regular sensationalism more than anything else.

"Man uses N-word" is a much clickier headline than "Man attempts to deflect accusations of racism by bring up other examples of racism".
Old 12 July 2018, 07:03 PM

I'm not buying the, "I was only using it to refer to the word" argument as in any way meaning that it was OK. It is undoubtedly worse to use it as an epithet directed at a person. But, regardless of whether you think people are oversensitive and PC has run amok, etc., there is a large chunk of the population that react very strongly to hearing that word at all, and particularly from a powerful white man. A person may chafe at having to use a euphemism, but in that context, there was absolutely no reason to use the word itself. No one would be confused about which n-word he meant.

It isn't just insensitive, it is a kind of power play. In this case, at least in some sense, he lost that particular game.

I was reading an online discussion recently about this "academic use" argument. The people advocating that position were all pointedly using the word itself. At a minimum, that is like repeatedly, intentionally, referring to death and dying in front of a person who just lost a loved one and has indicated some sensitivity to references to it. It goes beyond being "insensitive."
Old 12 July 2018, 11:30 PM

The clickbaity news stories (or at least the headlines) may be getting the essence of the story wrong, but the Forbes article linked and quoted in the OP does a much better job of saying why this assclown is a dumpster fire.

Quote:
On the May call, Schnatter was asked how he would distance himself from racist groups online. He responded by downplaying the significance of his NFL statement. “Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s,” Schnatter said, before complaining that Sanders never faced public backlash.

Schnatter also reflected on his early life in Indiana, where, he said, people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died. He apparently intended for the remarks to convey his antipathy to racism, but multiple individuals on the call found them to be offensive, a source familiar with the matter said. After learning about the incident, Laundry Service owner Casey Wasserman moved to terminate the company’s contract with Papa John’s.
He may be quoting someone else, but I'm not sure I would jump on the bandwagon of believing that he implicitly acknowledged that use of the word in reference to people was wrong.

I think he's just dog whistle bitching that other people have gotten away with being racist jerks for eons and he thinks it's unfair.
Old 13 July 2018, 01:20 PM

Bang Head

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with the last few posts. I believe in giving a guy like Schnatter the benefit of the doubt - the same way I believe in "presumed innocent until proven guilty" - but the evidence sure does weigh in against him.

As someone who's taught media literacy I shouldn't be surprised by the clickbaity headlines, but I sometimes expect more objectivity from the news media. I gotta work on that.

"Clickbaity" is my new favorite word.
Old 18 July 2018, 02:40 PM

Default Papa John's founder John Schnatter says resignation 'was a mistake'

The founder of Papa John's said he made “a mistake” when he agreed to step down as chairman of the company’s board last week amid “mischaracterized” reports about his use of a racial slur earlier this year.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/papa...ry?id=56657270
Old 18 July 2018, 05:58 PM

For a pizza place, the N word might be "nutritional".
It would have gone better for John if he had tried that.