snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 11 February 2016, 04:41 AM

Default Twelve-year-old girl in India living with ants in her head

Title changed to be less click-baitish.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medi...id=mailsignout

Quote:
Normally when someone says they have an ant problem, they mean ants have infested their home, not their head. The latter is actually true in the case of Shreya Darji, 12.

Hundreds of ants continue to live inside the girl’s head, with about a dozen or so emerging from her ears every day, according to the Toronto Sun. The Deesa, Gujarat girl complained of ear pain last August, and doctors discovered she had a colony inside her head. They have repeatedly pulled the creatures, dead and alive, from her ears, but the ants continue to reproduce and occupy their space in Darji’s head.
My BS meter is going crazy on this one. I simply don't believe that even Donald Trump's head is so empty that an entire ant colony could take up residence in it without causing lethal injury.
Old 11 February 2016, 05:40 AM

If the ear is undamaged, as the doctor said, the ants couldn't get past the ear drum to live in her inner ear, could they? And there's not enough room in the ear canal for a whole colony.

Anecdotally, Little Blue was playing outside a few years ago and came running in the house screaming, holding his head. There were small black ants on him and I spotted one scurrying around deep in his ear, and the noise was flipping him out. He's a calm kid, and that's probably the most freaked out I've ever seen him, not because it hurt, but because it was so loud. I can't imagine a hearing child tolerating that many bugs entering their ear at any time, or the amount of tickling any kid would feel long before a breeding colony was established.

ETA- It took just a few seconds to flood the ant out with warm water, and that was the end of that.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 11 February 2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11 February 2016, 05:56 AM

And then there's the question of what the ant colony was eating. A functional colony needs to have workers coming and going to gather food all the time- the girl would have to have a stream of ants coming to and from her ear.

Attempts to probe the area ought to trigger the ants' colony defense instincts, too.

And then there's the question of food: what the heck is the ant colony supposedly eating? Unless she's diabetic and they're slurping up her sweat (do diabetics even have sugary sweat? I have no idea), there's a serious question of what exactly they could be feeding on aside from her, which would probably cause a fatal infection in days.

Really, the only remotely plausible basis for this that I can see is that there's a girl who is unfortunate enough to be constantly getting ants in her ear and the people in her village somehow mistook it for her actually having a colony living in her head.
Old 11 February 2016, 05:57 AM

Or she or a family member is staging it.
Old 11 February 2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Or she or a family member is staging it.
Like the rabbit baby hoax thing.
Old 11 February 2016, 05:01 PM

Rabbit

Quote:
Following her miscarriage and while her cervix permitted access, an accomplice had inserted into her womb the claws and body of a cat, and the head of a rabbit. They had also invented a story in which Toft claimed that during her pregnancy and while working in a field, she had been startled by a rabbit, and had since become obsessed with rabbits. For later parturitions, animal parts had been inserted into her vagina.
I'm surprised she didn't give herself some sort of infection.

Great link, thanks for posting that. That's a new one for me!
Old 22 March 2016, 08:41 PM

Highly unlikely. wouldn't be able to get past the eardrum