snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 10 January 2015, 02:38 AM

Blow Your Top Sled runners amputate fingers

Comment: Long ago when sledding downhill on snow was done on sleds that had metal
runners. A child was sledding down a bumpy hill and his grip slipped as
the sled bounced off of a buried obstruction, when reaching to re-grip, he
grabbed both runners on the bottom of the sled, which sliced all 8 fingers
off as the sled came back into contact with the ground. Sounds plausable,
but also smacks of urban legend.
Old 10 January 2015, 04:06 AM

Baseball

I don't know about amputate, but I do know that it hurts like a sunuvabitch. As a teen, I took my Mom's old sled to the hill and over a jump. My buddy had a GT racer and it would go. I wanted to race my Mom's sled.

Anyways, being very young teens, we put all sorts of dangerous challenges into the races. In one, I figured I go faster if I lied down (like the skeleton). Only problem was that there was nothing for me to grip except the little rods that held the skids to the sled. So I held them. But as we were sliding, I found that my hands were acting as brakes because the skids dug into the snow and my hands would then plow the snow. So I removed my hands and held them flat on the sled itself. We both went over a bit of a jump and when I landed I had instinctively grabbed the sled by the skids. And it hurt. It hurt a lot. Nothing broken, but lesson learned.

What stopped a possible amputation, thinking about it now, was the fact that I was not that heavy, I was wearing good old fashioned woolen mittens and the snow was typical winter snow that held considerable depth, not just ice on the ground.

My fingers are sore just thinking about it right now.
Old 10 January 2015, 06:37 AM

Sled runner and even ice skating blades are not knife edges. If they were knife edges they would just stick to the ice. So they are designed to use you body weight to melt just a little ice and float over that water. So blades are flat with a circular grove cut down the lengths. See link below for example

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ss_Section.png

Some older design for sled runners us the edge of a meddle plate to get some sideways grip. Even then it is not a good knife edge

Sleds run on softer stuff than ice the have runners that are about 1/2 inch wide with a concave bottom and no need for sharp corners.

Now I remember many different stories about kids losing all kinds body parts in accidents do to sled and ice skating blades. I have never seen a blade that would easily take off a finger, though some may leave a very nasty cut and you may bleed to death if not treated.
Old 10 January 2015, 10:12 AM

Now all I can think of is J. R. Celski

http://youtu.be/112vOkaHyDY
Old 10 January 2015, 03:08 PM

Australia

Waking up in hospital after a sledding accident, "Doctor, I can't feel my legs!"