snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Religion

Old 30 December 2014, 01:15 AM

Icon215 Facts About Iraq

IRAQ - VERY INTERESTING - DID YOU KNOW?

1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq.

2. Mesopotamia, which is now Iraq, was the cradle of civilization!

3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.

4. The Tower of Babel was in Iraq.

5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq!

6. Isaac's wife Rebekah is from Nahor, which is in Iraq.

7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.

8. Jonah preached in Nineveh - which is in Iraq.

9. Assyria, which is in Iraq, conquered the ten tribes of Israel.

10. Amos cried out in Iraq!

11. Babylon, which is in Iraq, destroyed Jerusalem.

12. Daniel was in the lion's den in Iraq!

13. The three Hebrew children were in the fire in Iraq (Jesus had been in Iraq also as the fourth person in the fiery furnace!)

14. Belshazzar, the King of Babylon saw the "writing on the wall" in Iraq.

15. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, carried the Jews captive into Iraq.

16. Ezekiel preached in Iraq.

17. The wise men were from Iraq.

18. Peter preached in Iraq.

19. The "Empire of Man" described in Revelation is called Babylon, which was a city in Iraq!

And you have probably seen this one. Israel is the nation most often mentioned in the Bible. But do you know which nation is second? It is Iraq! However, that is not the name that is used in the Bible. The names used in the Bible are Babylon, Land of Shinar, and Mesopotamia. The word Mesopotamia means between the two rivers, more exactly between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers. The name Iraq, means country with deep roots.

Indeed Iraq is a country with deep roots and is a very significant country in the Bible. No other nation, except Israel, has more history and prophecy associated it than Iraq.
Old 30 December 2014, 01:18 AM

Of course, most of those "facts" are about fictional characters and events.
Old 30 December 2014, 02:59 AM

Read This!

Here are some previous discussions on the now archived old UBB forum.As you can see, the fake Quran quote has been deleted.

I used to get this all the time from supporters of George W. Bush and the Iraq war. For example, from the October 2006 version:
Quote:
I BETTER NOT HEAR OF ANYONE BREAKING THIS ONE OR SEE DELETED This is a ribbon for soldiers fighting in Iraq. Pass it on to everyone and pray. Something good will happen to you tonight at 11:11 PM. This is not a joke! Someone will either call you or will talk to you online and say that they love you. Do not break this chain. Send this to 13 people in the next 15 minutes. Go.
However, I haven't seen it in years. My WAG is that the activities of the Islamic State (IS) group have brought it back to life.

Brian
Old 30 December 2014, 12:00 PM

As someone commented about the earlier threads on this: the statements are true about ancient Babylon, not about modern-day Iraq. The two countries happen to have been on the same soil geographically, but it's like making statements about the Etruscans and thinking they apply to modern-day Italy.
Old 30 December 2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
No, they aren't.
Old 30 December 2014, 05:10 PM

Right. Most of those "facts" are about mythological characters and events. So they belong on a list of facts just like Loki, Anubis, or the Thunderbird.
Old 30 December 2014, 05:53 PM

It kinda looks like a "in Iraq" version of the fortune cookie game, where instead of adding "in bed" to the fortune in your cookie, you add "in Iraq" to some random statement.

Noad built an Ark of 30 cubits... In IrAQ!1!

And as far as I know, the wise men "came from the east" but their race/birthplace is not known. I believe one is presumed to be egyptian.

The wikipedia page lists one of them as persian, one as indian and the other as arabian.

Last edited by Alarm; 30 December 2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 30 December 2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
And you have probably seen this one. Israel is the nation most often mentioned in the Bible. But do you know which nation is second? It is Iraq!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234
Most of those "facts" are about mythological characters and events. So they belong on a list of facts just like Loki, Anubis, or the Thunderbird.
The assertion is NOT whether such events happened (although #11, 15, and 16 are historically accurate.) The assertion is that there are many references to Iraq (qua Babylon) in a work of literature (namely, the Bible.)

It's interesting how any discussion of the bible always gets such dismissive comments. A discussion of the Iliad or the Edda would not provoke such comments. The facts above are not about whether some historical character named Noah actually built an ark, but whether that story is set in Mesopotamia (which it undoubtedly is.)

If I stated as a fact that the book "The Cat in the Hat" includes mention of Thing 1 and Thing 2, would you rush to assert that there is no real Cat in a Hat?
Old 30 December 2014, 07:28 PM

As far as I know there is no place on earth that meets the description in the Bible for the location of Eden. Speculation is that it may have been destroyed in the great flood. This is assuming that you believe the origin stories in the Bible. So Iraq is a possible country that it was in, it is not the only on.

Mesopotamia, which is now part of Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, Jordan and Egypt was the cradle of civilization! Corrections as best I remember in bold.

As for most of the rest, people traveled though out the Middle East and did things. There is a good chance that some of those things happen inside the area that is now Iraq.
Old 30 December 2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post

7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.

10. Amos cried out in Iraq!

12. Daniel was in the lion's den in Iraq!

18. Peter preached in Iraq.
All of these are so vague, using only "common" first names that they could have happened everywhere.

Peter preached in Iraq? I'm pretty sure Peter preached in Rome too.
It's possible someone called Daniel was in a lion's den somewhere in Africa too!
Is "Amos called out" something we're supposed to recognize? Because I think Tori Amos cried out, but it wasn't in Iraq.
Jacob met Rachel, then Rachel met Ross...

Sorry, I'm feeling silly.
Old 30 December 2014, 07:58 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Mesopotamia, which is now part of Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, Jordan and Egypt was the cradle of civilization! Corrections as best I remember in bold.
I think you are confusing Mesopotamia with the Fertile Crescent. The latter is essentially the river basins of the Tigris, Euphrates, Jordan, Nile (maybe as far as Aswan), plus other smaller area rivers and the adjacent shores of the Mediterranean Sea and Persian Gulf. Mesopotamia is much more narrowly the area between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers - I am pretty sure that this area is entirely in modern Iraq.

Well, a little research shows the term extended to the entire Tigris-Euphrates basin, and included a little bit of modern Iran, Turkey and Syria, but definitely not any of modern Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, or Egypt.
http://www.ancient.eu/Mesopotamia/
http://www.ancient.eu/Mesopotamia/

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 30 December 2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add research and links
Old 31 December 2014, 10:24 PM

I have not checked in detail, but I don't think Amos (#10) was in Iraq, he was in the Northern Kingdom of Israel which was (soon after) conquered by Assyria.

Please note, I am *not* contending that any of the following existed in history, I am only saying that the text (the story) locates them as follows:

The location of Eden was "in the east" and usually assumed by scholars to be within the fertile crescent, but the exact location is unspecified.

The story of Noah: no setting is given in the text, but scholars assume it to be Mesopotamia, where flooding of the rivers was quite common and where there are other global-flooding catastrophe stories. So this one is not accurate within the text, but only in terms of scholars guesses. The ark lands on the "mountains of Ararat" which are presumably Urartu in Assyria.

The Tower of Babel was built "on the plains of Shimar" (Gen 11:2) which is "in the east", also referred to in Egyptian and Hittite texts and is in Babylonia (geographically Iraq.)

The text says Abraham came from "Ur of the Chaldeans." The city of Ur in Lower Mesopotamia has been well excavated, and there is also a city or Ur in Upper Mesopotamia (and scholarly opinion differs which one the text means) but both are in what is now Iraq. Similarly #6 and #7, the stories tell that Abraham's family went back to his father's lands (Ur) to find wives, so Rebecca (Isaac's wife) and Rachel (Jacob's wife) were both from there.

#8 through #16 (except fo #10) are factually correct, the text sets the stories as mentioned. I stop there, my expertise is Old Testament and not New Testament.

So, the list is mostly accurate that these stories were set geographically in what is now Iraq.
Old 02 January 2015, 06:10 AM

Default Non-specific number of wise men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
It kinda looks like a "in Iraq" version of the fortune cookie game, where instead of adding "in bed" to the fortune in your cookie, you add "in Iraq" to some random statement.

Noad built an Ark of 30 cubits... In IrAQ!1!

And as far as I know, the wise men "came from the east" but their race/birthplace is not known. I believe one is presumed to be egyptian.

The wikipedia page lists one of them as persian, one as indian and the other as arabian.
Nowhere in the Bible does it say "3" wise men. It is just "Wise men from the east". The number 3 comes from the gifts (gold, frankincense, and myrrh) and presumes one gift per wise man.
Old 02 January 2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue74656 View Post
Nowhere in the Bible does it say "3" wise men. It is just "Wise men from the east". The number 3 comes from the gifts (gold, frankincense, and myrrh) and presumes one gift per wise man.
Which was my point. Nowhere in the bible are we given any specifics about these wise men and the traditions that have grown around them does not support them being from "Iraq" either.
Old 02 January 2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Z View Post
The assertion is NOT whether such events happened (although #11, 15, and 16 are historically accurate.) The assertion is that there are many references to Iraq (qua Babylon) in a work of literature (namely, the Bible.)
Really? Because the list as posted in the OP leaves off any mention of the Bible until the very end. And even then it doesn't state that the list is simply a list of things that the Bible says about Iraq. It maintains the fiction that the list are facts.

Quote:
It's interesting how any discussion of the bible always gets such dismissive comments. A discussion of the Iliad or the Edda would not provoke such comments. The facts above are not about whether some historical character named Noah actually built an ark, but whether that story is set in Mesopotamia (which it undoubtedly is.)
We generally don't find certain fans of the Iliad or Edda using the force of law to require everyone to comply with the "facts" in those works. Or insisting that science classes teach those works. Most people in the US agree that everything in those is fiction and should be treated as such. Not so with the Bible for many fans of it. So of course any list of "facts" from the Bible is going to get more scrutiny.

Quote:
If I stated as a fact that the book "The Cat in the Hat" includes mention of Thing 1 and Thing 2, would you rush to assert that there is no real Cat in a Hat?
The critical difference between the original list and your analogy is that the list doesn't say "according to the Bible" or "in the Bible" until the end. And a better analogy would be a list of "facts" gleaned from The Three Musketeers. Some of the list might be true as that novel has some historical characters in it. But much of the list would be false as much of the novel is made up characters interacting with historical figures.
Old 24 January 2015, 05:29 PM

Icon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue74656 View Post
It also says "And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way. (Matthew 2:12) Not countries, country.

Another part that no one gets right: The wise men "come into the house" (not the stable) and "saw the young child" (not the babe). Quotes from Matthew 2:11.

Sorry, that stuff has always irked me since I sat down and actually read it. Matthew is the only gospel that even mentions the wise men.
Old 26 January 2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
As you can see, the fake Quran quote has been deleted.

I used to get this all the time from supporters of George W. Bush and the Iraq war. For example, from the October 2006 version:

...This is not a joke! Someone will either call you or will talk to you online and say that they love you. Do not break this chain.
A little late, but: I love you.

Old 26 January 2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
No, they aren't.
If not fiction, what is it called when a story is made up (ie. didn't happen in real life)?
Old 27 January 2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
If not fiction, what is it called when a story is made up (ie. didn't happen in real life)?
Myth is different from fiction; fiction tends to be the product of a single artistic mind, were myth arises from collective story-telling.

We have myths about George Washington (chopping down cherry tree, etc). That doesn't mean he was a fictional character.
Old 27 January 2015, 10:43 AM

It does make the cherry tree story fiction, though.