snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 27 February 2014, 01:58 PM

Default Can I have a book recommendation?

A friend of mine is recommending the book series The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I just want to know if anyone here read and/or liked the books before I decide to geet into it since it is an incredibly long series that will threaten any social life I have for the next year or so (or however long I can get through it).
Old 27 February 2014, 03:18 PM

It kinda goes off the rails a bit and starts to collapse under the weight of exponentially expanding plot threads. After Jordan died, the next author managed to wrap it all up reasonably well, but it'll test your patience for sure.
Old 28 February 2014, 04:58 PM

I had someone recommend the Wheel of Time series to me, but I really disliked Jordan's writing style and gave up after 20 pages or so. I've been reading George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards anthology, and would recommend it highly. A great story, told by the greatest Science Fiction writers of the 20th century. These guys blow Robert Jordan out of the water. ETA - These books are just being re-released, so they are available again through Amazon.
Old 28 February 2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
I had someone recommend the Wheel of Time series to me, but I really disliked Jordan's writing style and gave up after 20 pages or so.
I managed to get through about 200 pages before giving up. It wasn't bad, but if I'm going to commit to such a long series of thick books, it needs to really grab me a lot faster.
Old 28 February 2014, 08:26 PM

Reading

I also gave up on Jordan part way through the first book. It had an interesting premise, but if felt like I had to slog through mud to get anywhere.

However, the Wild Card series is wonderful. Every book has a different tone and different outlook. Some of them are comic and some are quite intent. And one (I don't remember which) has the most gruesome and evil rape scene I have ever read. I literally shook during and after reading.

They are good.

Morning
Old 28 February 2014, 08:51 PM

Glasses

I only read part of the first book because I found it unpleasantly sexist. People have tried to convince me that the attitudes that turned me off are only present in a small part of the series, right at the beginning. I still have no interest in reading farther.

Seaboe
Old 03 March 2014, 12:51 AM

I loved the series and thought it was very well done. I was hooked from the very beginning. I listened to the audio books which were narrated by two people Micheal Kramer and Kate Redding. Over all they did a great job although Kate had a habbit of misspronouncing names especially in the first few books. When I finished one book I could not wait for the next one to come from the library.
Old 03 March 2014, 12:13 PM

I couldn't get through the first book, but DH loved it. (He listened to it.)
Old 05 March 2014, 05:21 AM

I knew a number of people who started out loving the Wheel of Time series, but they tended to fall away as it began to drag out too much. I always got the impression that either Jordan or his publishers realized what a cash cow they had and decided to slow the pace down and stretch the series out far longer than originally intended - you wound up with entire volumes that barely advanced the main plot line, if they advanced it at all. I don't know if any of them wound up finishing it, but they definitely were disenchanted.

But, that's second-hand, I haven't read them myself (though for some years I was in a role-playing campaign based loosely around the same central plot - a game which wound up suffering from pretty much the same problem, actually).
Old 05 March 2014, 05:46 AM

The main problem with The Wheel of Time is honestly that Jordan never really seemed to have enough material for more than 1/3rd of the actual amount of pages he wrote. There is a ton of repetitive dialog, excessively detail description, and other obvious filler. It becomes apparent after a few books that Jordan was either suffering from serious writer's block that he treated via writing more descriptions of things that he'd already described, he'd decided to cash in on the series's popularity and drag it on as long as possible, or both.

Seriously, there are several books in the middle of the series where literally nothing of consequence happens. And those books are 1000 page long doorstops.

And unlike what Seaboe's friends say, the rampant sexism is present throughout the series. It's not isolated at all.
Old 17 March 2014, 04:41 AM

I stopped around book 5 or 6, about the time the plot slowdown started (which apparently got progressively worse up to books 9 or 10). I'd say a large number of characters have their annoying behaviors, but all of the specific irritations I can think of are in the women. Braid pulling and skirt smoothing and might not seem that big a deal, but they will be once it happens for the hundredth time after the plot crawls and braid pulling takes the place of sensible forward action. My understanding is that Sanderson got rid of a lot of the character stupidity for the last 3 books, but that's still a lot of RJ to go through to get there. Isam's Wheel of Time summaries are hilarious, though I think you'd still have to have read the books to get the funny ("Couldn't you just leave it in a big exposition section inside the cover?").

It would be better just to read Sanderson's own books instead since he is much better at keeping the plot moving. I'd start with either The Emperor's Soul or Elantris. Emperor's Soul is a novella, so you'll finish it quickly and you'll get a sense for Sanderson's writing style. Elantris is a doorstopper but it's a one-off book so won't be a long-term commitment.

I've also read the first two books of Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria Revelations and need to finish the last book of the R.V.S. Redick's Chathrand Voyages. Both series are done and if the action on Chathrand Voyages is a bit of a chaotic mess, it's never boring. I've also listened to audiobooks on both and the narration is excellent although I'd give the edge to the Tim Gerard Reynolds on the Riyria series.