snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Religion

Old 16 April 2011, 01:57 PM

If you think cleaning out cabernet in the shower is a problem, what about the lunch special of all-you-can-eat fish sandwiches? A little variety, please!
Old 16 April 2011, 03:56 PM

No kidding. I wanted tuna, but all they had was holy mackerel.
Old 30 May 2011, 03:07 PM

Ridiculous. Those nails were melted down and the metal used in forging the swords used by the three Knights of the Cross. Doesn't anyone read the Harry Dresden books?

(Of course, Harry himself has some doubts they were made from the actual nails, but as the power actually comes from the faith of the weilder, it doesn't really matter; as long as people believe in the power, it becomes literal fact. So, if these guys have the real nails, we have to suppress that info or the Knights might lose their power for good. Hmm.)
Old 30 May 2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Jesus Christ may be the most famous man who ever lived. But how do we know he did?

The article doesn't mention my favorite relic, the Holy Prepuce. Now, if that one could be authenticated, you'd have something. (Unfortuately the one longest venerated was stolen in 1983.)
Old 30 May 2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Depends -- did he get a lot of Hispanic men passing through town?
That reminds me of a conversation I had about Latino players in baseball. I said I'd love for there to be a closer with the first name Jesús. When they interviewed the winning pitcher, he could say, "First of all, I want to thank Jesus for saving me. No, he's right here. You can talk to him!" Not long after that (2003), I actually did see a player named Jesús record a save.
Old 30 May 2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
How do they know they were Jesus' nails though, and not Brian's?
DNA testing. God donated a sample.
Old 02 June 2011, 03:12 AM

I'll (rephrase) what a snopester of yore said (sorry don't recall who, it was about the shroud of Turin). Lets say that we learn that there is a 100% chance that these nails were used to crucify Jesus.. How again does that prove that Jesus was the son of God.. Or anything else?

-MB
Old 02 June 2011, 05:43 AM

The same way that we prove that the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God. Church doctrine says that the committee who chose what books to include in the bible was guided by the holy spirit so clearly the bible was the work of God. Hence anything that proves that there was a real Jesus imediatly validates all of what has been said about him.
Old 12 August 2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Ridiculous. Those nails were melted down and the metal used in forging the swords used by the three Knights of the Cross. Doesn't anyone read the Harry Dresden books?
Hooray, another Dresden Files fan!
Old 13 August 2011, 09:17 PM

I love religious dogmatic circular logic. "My inspired book is true because the deity of my choice says it is. And I know the deity of my choice exists because my inspired book says so."
Old 13 August 2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeondragon18 View Post
Hooray, another Dresden Files fan!
My GF loves those books.
Old 13 August 2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I love religious dogmatic circular logic. "My inspired book is true because the deity of my choice says it is. And I know the deity of my choice exists because my inspired book says so."
I was taught an even tighter circle: We know the Bible is the inspired word of God because this scripture in the Bible says so.
Old 13 August 2011, 10:42 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Clearly you didn't read them very well. The nails are forged into the swords, not melted down and used in the blade metal. Micheal's has the nail worked into the crossbrace. #SuperNerd
Old 20 August 2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I was taught an even tighter circle: We know the Bible is the inspired word of God because this scripture in the Bible says so.

I was tough the same thing. My mom still tires to use the same 'logic" when trying to prove to me that there really is a god.
Old 20 August 2011, 08:36 PM

That's one of the most common "proofs" for God I've seen. Only "it must be designed" comes close.
Old 20 August 2011, 09:40 PM

I prefer the proofs of St. Thomas Aquinas. At least they're wordier and you have to work harder to find the fallacy.

(Miguel de Unamuno described the fallacy under most of St. Thomas' proofs thus: "I can't understand this with any other explanation; I have to understand it; ergo that must be the explanation")
Old 22 August 2011, 12:14 AM

I was told that there is more evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ than there is evidence for the existence of George Washington. The second time I heard someone say that, I believed it.

I once saw an article with a CGI depiction of what Jesus Christ most likely would have looked like, based on anthropological evidence of the region's inhabitants at that time. It struck me as ironic that Christ probably more closely resembled most Americans' mental image of a Middle Eastern terrorist than of a peaceful white guy.
Old 22 August 2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Up View Post
I was told that there is more evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ than there is evidence for the existence of George Washington.
No, but it seems to me highly implausible that Christians would make him up.

Jesus makes a number of quoted statements, in the Gospels, that probably do not correspond to words early Christians would have put in his mouth if they had the choice. For example, Matthew 5:17-18:

Quote:
Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets: I came not to destroy, but to fulfill. . . . Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished.
Presumably this includes dietary laws which the new religion didn't observe. Sure, the Christians had ways to explain this Jesus quotation away. But if Jesus was just made up, first century Gospel writers wouldn't have felt a need to preserve his actual words, and instead would have changed them to reflect more closely their own views.
Old 22 August 2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eisenberg View Post
But if Jesus was just made up, first century Gospel writers wouldn't have felt a need to preserve his actual words, and instead would have changed them to reflect more closely their own views.
Do we know who the writers were, whom they were affiliated with? Maybe it was people who just wanted to bring down the present religion. I don't really believe that, but just theorizing.
Old 22 August 2011, 03:22 AM

My understanding of the Jewish religion back in the time of Christ was that there were a lot of radical people living in the region coming up with some revolutionary things (for the times). We have records of several of these figures. While I don’t have any doubt that Christ the man walked the earth (I have no reason to doubt that), I don’t think he was any more special than other prophets of the era - he was just more popular with the masses. I don’t attribute any divinity to him at all. I think that he got real popular after he died and people have been trying to piece together things about him that they may or may not really know.

That and they tie him to the Son of God thing, something that will inevitably make people pay more attention to him and allow people to draw a narrative that is difficult to disprove or prove.