snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 31 May 2013, 08:02 PM

Icon86 Is the 5-second rule a myth?

Everyone has heard of the 5-second rule. You know the one: if a food item drops on the floor and you pick it up within five seconds, its still perfectly safe to eat. Undoubtedly invented by a child or teenager anxious to eat the last bite of dessert he accidentally dropped on the floor, the 5-second rule has been accepted and employed by kids and adults just about everywhere.

http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-sp...nd-rule-a-myth
Old 31 May 2013, 09:03 PM

Seriously, can't they move on to investigating whether my mother's spine will really fracture if I step on a crack? No one ever seriously believed this. At least, I doubt they did. It was more like knocking on wood, only it was said to make it socially acceptable to eat food off the ground, which is usually frowned on. It is the culinary equivalent of a do-over. Everyone knows what just happened, but we are gonna pretend it doesn't count.
Old 31 May 2013, 10:35 PM

The first time I ever heard of the "five-second rule" is when Jillian Clarke did that first study. Since she also found that only 50% of men (and for some reason 70% of women) had heard of it. Doesn't sound like "everybody" to me.
Old 31 May 2013, 10:41 PM

Ok, "everyone" being "everyone that uses the phrase/is in area that the phrase tends to be used."
Old 31 May 2013, 10:43 PM

Oh, oops! I was responding to the article posted by snopes. I didn't even notice you'd used the word.
Old 31 May 2013, 11:01 PM

That is ok, I had forgotten the article did, despite its being literally the first word in the quoted bit.
Old 31 May 2013, 11:35 PM

While we know food will pick up bacteria on the floor after landing on it. Do we know if harmful amounts of bacteria will stick to the food in 5 sec. I'm sure that I breathing in millions of bacteria in the normal course of living every day but very seldom get sick from them.
Old 01 June 2013, 12:08 AM

Well, yes, we do know, thanks to the work of Jillian Clarke and others. (She found that there wasn't any significant difference in terms of the number of seconds and that, nevertheless, there were not a lot of harmful bacteria on the foods.)
Old 01 June 2013, 12:16 AM

The amount of harmful bacteria depends on where you drop it. Most people only practice the five second rule in reasonably clean, dry places. I don't know many who practice it in the bathroom. Of course, if.you did, that kind of raises the question of why you are eating in the bathroom.
Since your floors aren't generally awash with e coli, it isn't a big deal. The worst place we probably do.it is kitchens, which tend to get a.little more gross-grimey than regular floors.
Old 26 March 2014, 06:52 PM

The researchers found that the initial impact immediately transferred at least a small proportion of bacteria resident on a floor to just about any type of food. Moist foods left longer than 30 seconds, however, contained up to 10 times more bacteria than food picked up after three seconds. We believe that additional contact is being made between the moist food and the floor as it settles further onto the floor, Hilton says. Dry foods dropped on the carpet experienced the slowest rate of bacterial migration.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...SA_DD_20140326
Old 27 March 2014, 02:31 PM

That still doesn't mean you shouldn't eat food off the floor, it's just that the 5-second rule has some validitiy.