snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 16 August 2007, 09:26 PM
MiddleEye

The picture could be fake for the article. Since she probably didn't think to take a photo at the time and since the FDA tested on the mouse I am assuming the mouse was taken away from her and probably not returned. Ha. "Here's your mouse. Don't worry; we tested it and it's safe to eat!" Yay!!
So the story is probably real, but the photo could have been made later with another mouse. You can just buy them at the pet store, even though the ones in the pet store are white, but fuzzies (one stage up from pinkies) are about that size.
Old 05 October 2007, 12:01 AM

Mouse Woman Not Biting in Mouse Head Case

An Arkansas company is offering $100 to a Utah woman who found a severed mouse head in a can of green beans if she pledges not to take legal action, but she's not biting.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071004/D8S2L4IG2.html
Old 05 October 2007, 11:04 AM

Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
Last week I opened three cans of green beans, to find that they were blackeyed peas. 3 out of 5 cans had the wrong labels. Who knows what else is going on!!!111!
So you mean it was just a matter of wrong labelling. I can buy that.
Old 05 October 2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
So you mean it was just a matter of wrong labelling. I can buy that.
So as long as the labels are changed to "Beans ... and possibly bits of mouse" they'll be okay
Old 05 October 2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
So as long as the labels are changed to "Beans ... and possibly bits of mouse" they'll be okay
In the original OP story though, there appeared to be more mouse than beans. Legally wouldn't the label have to say "Mouse and Beans" to highlight the greatest constituent by weight or volume?
Old 05 October 2007, 10:43 PM

On Yahoo they said the brand was Allens, a brand they sell at Walmart. I usually buy that brand ,but now I'm afraid to.
Old 08 October 2007, 03:04 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
In the original OP story though, there appeared to be more mouse than beans. Legally wouldn't the label have to say "Mouse and Beans" to highlight the greatest constituent by weight or volume?
Most stores sell rodented cans at a discount ...

- snopes
Old 08 October 2007, 06:24 AM
mommyrex

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
There was probably more mouse in that can that there is pork in "Pork and Beans".
Old 09 October 2007, 04:42 AM

I have to say two things:

1) My mom twice cooked mice that were in the oven when she turned it on. (Old rickety farm house). The smell is HORRIBLE. Even in a factory environment I can't believe they can't catch that!

2) When I grew up to work in the food manufacturing business, I took a course on pest control. The first words in the book are this: GIVE UP on the idea that you will ever eradicate pests. The best you can hope for is to CONTROL them.

That is the reason the FDA allows so many bug legs per hot dog or whatever those rules are.

It is disgusting, but true. Rodents and other pests will always be drawn to a food source, you can never completely eradicate them.

That said, I think I will never eat canned green beans again!
Old 27 December 2007, 08:03 AM

Default Dead Mouse in Cracker

A New Zealand woman pulled her Christmas cracker at Christmas dinner and got more than the usual paper crown and naff joke. The family had noticed an odd smell and when they pulled the cracker they foundo ut why - a partially decomposed mouse. (Link)
Old 27 December 2007, 09:05 PM
Sweeney_Todd

I may be incorrect in this, but, isn't a cracker more of a noisemaker, not the edible kind? you a string and it makes a cracking noise?
Old 27 December 2007, 09:31 PM

True, but decomposed mouse is an English delicacy

Blues
Old 27 December 2007, 10:20 PM
Sweeney_Todd

mmmmmmm, decomposed mouse and flat, warm beer. a taste treat. but, for me, the mouse has to be in a meat pie
Old 27 December 2007, 11:21 PM

But this was in New Zealand...
Old 28 December 2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesScale View Post
True, but decomposed mouse is an English delicacy
They should've checked the "best before" date on the cracker box!

Anyway, I've always insisted my dead mice are mummified (at this point I am scowling at the cat whom I believe to be responsible for a mummified mouse in th hall cupboard)
Old 28 December 2007, 11:16 AM

It should be noted that in terms of quality of the "gift" in most crackers, decomposed mouse rates as above average.
Old 28 December 2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
It should be noted that in terms of quality of the "gift" in most crackers, decomposed mouse rates as above average.
I wouldn't say that, I got a pretty good hair slide once. Shame I don't have long enough hair.
Old 28 December 2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
True. The stuff in the works party crackers wasn't even as high as bargain-basement standard!
Old 29 December 2007, 11:54 PM

Damn it, all I got was a very large paperclip that might have been a novelty bookmark. I traded it for a tiny stapler, which improved matters, but I didn't even get my crown. It got blasted across the room and we never found it.

A dead mouse would have been an improvement. Plus decomposition would have meant it stuck to the inside of the cracker more, unlike my runaway hat.
Old 29 December 2007, 11:59 PM
Victoria J

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Anyway, I've always insisted my dead mice are mummified (at this point I am scowling at the cat whom I believe to be responsible for a mummified mouse in th hall cupboard)
My mother had a cat who kept a dried and flat mouse under the fridge and would take it out to play with it. Definitely mummified and not at all noxious/runny etc.

Quote:
This year we had "luxury" crackers and I got a yo yo so cheap I had to tie my own loop in it. It just had a flat piece of string...

The cheapest crackers I ever bought all had a plastic false moustache in them. Every one. One was a strange green moustache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
I wouldn't say that, I got a pretty good hair slide once. Shame I don't have long enough hair.
I have fond memories of the Christmas when my mother, grandmother, father and I had a box of 12 crackers and my father got the bracelet, hair-slide and ring while we had cards and miniature screw drivers and magic tricks. We made him wear it for the rest of the day.

Victoria J