snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 31 January 2007, 02:42 AM

Good - it's not my imagination that some McDonalds used to offer pizza! I wondered if it was a regional thing.
Old 31 January 2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I found the UK site.
http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/?f=y

They do have onion rings on the menu..
They can be found in Sweden as well, but they are not on the regular menu, just with some limited time specials.

I don't bother though, as long as Max has those delicious nuggets of deep fried cheese with pieces of jalapeno in it...
Old 31 January 2007, 08:16 AM

Mickey D's has onion rings in the UK. They sell beer in France. The portions are substantially bigger in Cairo, and in Abu Dhabi there is no bacon on the menu. In Helsinki (if I remember correctly) there was an additional burger option with a more Finnish feel to it. The McChicken in Ireland is a different shape and flavour to that in Mainland Europe.

The chips are still crap though.
Old 31 January 2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
They sell beer in France.
Some McD do this in Sweden, although only light beer.

Quote:
In Helsinki (if I remember correctly) there was an additional burger option with a more Finnish feel to it.
At times, Sweden has had some kind of Swedish burger. At other times, we have El Maco, Chili Chicken, Rhode Island Pepper or some other special item.

Most important, our Big Macs have two slices of pickle I have to remove before eating it, while the Big Macs in Jordan have three slices of pickle I have to remove. Apart from that, the Jordan Big Macs are fresher and the french fries are hot and crispy, instead of the Swedish tradition of wet and soggy or dry and cold.

I once saw a TV program about some kind of manate, that had a special mouth that could eat plants off the sand bottom and the sand was just filtered out of the mouth so they swallowed almost no sand. I have a theory that in some generations, humanity has evolved so that we can eat a Big Mac and just filter out the pickle slices out of the sides of our mouths.
Old 31 January 2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I have a theory that in some generations, humanity has evolved so that we can eat a Big Mac and just filter out the pickle slices out of the sides of our mouths.
I reckon 'evolved' humanity will simply not venture in to McDonalds full stop
Old 31 January 2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
They also sell beer in Spain.

For many years I've been travelling to France, and to be fair, MCd's have been one of the few ways to avoid being brought before the authorities for starving our children in a foreign country.

I never seen onion rings in any MCd's in France.
They also sell incredible salads in most MCd's in France, and the kids happy meals have yogurt instead of milk shakes and juice instead of soda.
Old 31 January 2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends of Alfred View Post
And Quarter-pounders with Cheese aren't called Quarter-pounders with cheese...
Old 31 January 2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Most important, our Big Macs have two slices of pickle I have to remove before eating it, while the Big Macs in Jordan have three slices of pickle I have to remove.
You do know you can ask for a Big Mac without pickles? Or any other ingredient. Where I used to work, if the staff were called in over the weekend, the management used to pay for lunch (which in management's opinion was a Macdonalds.) One woman (I think for religious reasons) always ordered "A Big Mac, no meat."

Quote:
I once saw a TV program about some kind of manate, that had a special mouth that could eat plants off the sand bottom and the sand was just filtered out of the mouth so they swallowed almost no sand. I have a theory that in some generations, humanity has evolved so that we can eat a Big Mac and just filter out the pickle slices out of the sides of our mouths
It is an average day at the Krusty Krab, until Bubble Bass comes along. He lies about there being no pickles in his Krabby Patty just to cause trouble for SpongeBob, and it does.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 31 January 2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 31 January 2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
You do know you can ask for a Big Mac without pickles?

I always do this. Not necessarily because I don't like the pickle, and you can do the same with onion/sauce, etc. It guarantees you a warm, freshly cooked and packed burger that looks a bit like the one in the adverts, rather than the limp, tepid, excuse that has shrunk whilst sitting 10 minutes on the shelf. I know there is a shelf life, but having never worked in MCd's, I don't know how long this is?
Old 31 January 2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
I always do this. Not necessarily because I don't like the pickle, and you can do the same with onion/sauce, etc. It guarantees you a warm, freshly cooked and packed burger that looks a bit like the one in the adverts, rather than the limp, tepid, excuse that has shrunk whilst sitting 10 minutes on the shelf. I know there is a shelf life, but having never worked in MCd's, I don't know how long this is?
Anyone else reminded of Michael Douglas in Falling Down
Old 31 January 2007, 10:06 AM
Lunasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGirl View Post
McDonalds does have regional specialties. I usually get an All American Meal, which, I found I could not get in Kentucky.

And yes, it varies by country too. In the Netherlands, they have a special fry sauce. Also, you get mayo with your fries as well, which is standard. Ketchup, you must ask for. It's more than dipping sauces though - in the Netherlands, you can get a McKroket (which, is quite yummy!). Most countries have at least one menu item that is an off take of the regional cuisine I have been told.
I can't get honey as a dipping sauce in Europe at McDs or KFC. I've tried England, Ireland Scotland, Poland and Czechia so far anyway... although I did learn that the Polish for fries is friski
Old 31 January 2007, 10:21 AM
FloridaGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
And Quarter-pounders with Cheese aren't called Quarter-pounders with cheese...
What do you call them then? I'm quite intrigued to find out what do you all call them.
Old 31 January 2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
What do you call them then? I'm quite intrigued to find out what do you all call them.
We used to have two similar menu items - The quarter pounder, and the quarter pounder with cheese. Identical apart from the cheese element, and the colour of the box it came in. Now there is only one, the type with cheese, and it is merely called the quarter pounder.
Old 31 January 2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
They're called that here. But in France they don't have pounds (of either type)
Old 31 January 2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
So in France it's the 113.398093 grams with cheese.
Old 31 January 2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Did you have to look that up or did you know it?
Old 31 January 2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Did you have to look that up or did you know it?
I knew that 454 grams = roughly 1 lb but I couldn't be bothered to find a calculator to divide by four - let alone do it in my head. So I looked it up.
Old 31 January 2007, 11:04 AM

In UK 'McDonald's' they have tea. When the chain first arrived in Britain you couldn't get tea, but they put it on the menu after people complained. I don't know if they still do tea.

(I am willing to do almost anything for 'snopes' - but going into a McDonald's is a step too far.)

Eddylizard wrote:

Quote:
Don't be stupid! ... In France it would be 113.398093 grammes with cheese.
Old 31 January 2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post

Don't be stupid! ... In France it would be 113.398093 grammes with cheese.
No in France it would actually be 105 grammes with cheese, since they never miss an opportunity to put one over on the tourists.

Back to the OP, I don't personally believe that MC'd's don't serve onion rings due to a shortage of onions. I don't percieve a shortage of onions, and their low cost would tend to bear that out. Plus MC'd's put onions in practically everything else they serve.

They just don't see onion rings as part of their market niche.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 31 January 2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Extra point
Old 31 January 2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
They may not have £ or lb, but in France, quarter pounders are called quarter pounders. Actually, they use the english names for most of the menu, which is really surprising knowing how protective the French get about their language.