snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05 September 2007, 03:17 AM
Wild Redhead's Avatar
Wild Redhead Wild Redhead is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,784
Default

While chocolate doesn't contain caffeine, my caffeine often contained chocolate. Take some really strong dark roast coffee, some Hersheys chocolate syrup, and some half and half, mix them together and it ceases to matter which came first...the caffeine or the chocolate.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05 September 2007, 04:25 PM
major accent
 
Posts: n/a
Default waitaminit

I thought we had agreed that chocolate does contain small amounts of caffeine.

Or is the urban legend regarding the urban legend simply an urban legend masquerading as an urban legend?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05 September 2007, 04:30 PM
Penguin
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by major accent View Post
I thought we had agreed that chocolate does contain small amounts of caffeine.

Or is the urban legend regarding the urban legend simply an urban legend masquerading as an urban legend?
Head hurts now. Must have some Chocolate which everyone knows contains morphine.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06 September 2007, 09:22 AM
nonnieyrissa's Avatar
nonnieyrissa nonnieyrissa is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2007
Location: Brooklyn/Hudson, NY/Rancho Cordova, CA
Posts: 2,554
Default

I had always heard that it was hot chocolate that contained caffeine.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06 September 2007, 09:29 AM
nonnieyrissa's Avatar
nonnieyrissa nonnieyrissa is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2007
Location: Brooklyn/Hudson, NY/Rancho Cordova, CA
Posts: 2,554
Default

I took it to understand that caffeine helps to relieve headaches by constricting the blood vessels.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11 September 2007, 06:18 AM
We'veBeenHad
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Well you can buy headache medicines (at least here) with added caffeine, usually marketed as XYZ plus, Parcetamol and Aspirin, and the caffeine is supposed to increase the potency of the analgesic. I've no idea what the mechanism is - possibly it acts as a vasodilator and as you say, speeds the blood flow.
I thought (well I still do) that the point is that so very many of our headaches are in part due to mild (or not so mild) caffeine withdrawal, as so many Americans keep themselves caffeinated much or most of the time. Doesn't take long to get a withdrawal headache.

I have pretty much the same nervous/panicky reaction to coffee, caffeinated soda, too much tea (more than a cup), chocolate, or any energy drink so I avoid them all...well I'll eat a piece of chocolate but I usually am sorry afterwards. I do love caffeine free Coke, though - IMO tastes just the same but no bad reaction - ahh. (Decaffeinated tea, not so much. Ick. I figure that's because caffeine is naturally in tea and has to be removed whereas it has to be added to cola.)

Looks like there is some connection between nicotine and caffeine as caffeine or these xanthines are used in treating nicotine withdrawal: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ne&btnG=Search
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11 September 2007, 06:26 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,363
Default

Chocolate definitely contains an "-ine". That's not going to stop me eating it though


Llew "I got an ology" trah
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 14 September 2007, 03:00 PM
Teknigram
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So what's this about then?
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/caff...ne_info1.shtml
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 14 September 2007, 04:23 PM
jimmy101_again jimmy101_again is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2005
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 6,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknigram View Post
What about it? It says chocolate contains caffiene which I believe has been pretty well established in this thread.

The erowid numbers match numbers posted earlier, 1oz of chocolate has 1% to 10% as much caffiene as 7oz of percolated coffee.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 14 September 2007, 05:27 PM
fictionallie
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
I'd heard people say that you should take it along with headache medicine, because 'the caffiene in the chocolate makes the medicine work faster'. Which makes me picture a little headache tablet all hopped up on too much caffiene and jumping around......

But. I always figured that it was actually because the caffiene made the blood move faster, and in turn the pain meds got where they were going quicker....in which case any stimulant, it seems, would work equally effectively. And it just becomes a quibble over semantics...but at the same time, if I heard it *often* knowing it wasn't true, it would drive me nuts....I'd yell at someone.
I had always heard that caffine was a good replacement for, say, TylenolŪ when you had run out, in the form that it can relieve you of a headache. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but seems to have worked for me on the few occasions that I've tried it with something like Coke or Jolt Cola. Perhaps, though, it may be an issue of mind-over-matter, as I usually take 9 or 10 asprin (and I use the term asprin to describe ANY headache-reducing pill) and it rarely helps me. I'm under the assumption that all pills given to us are just placebos.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 14 September 2007, 05:46 PM
Pudding Crawl's Avatar
Pudding Crawl Pudding Crawl is offline
 
Join Date: 29 July 2007
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen View Post
Please send them to 00-Saleen, care of this message board. I hate coffee, but love coffee-flavored stuff. Don't stand between me and Tiramisu, you might lose a hand.
The most effective way to do this, surely, would be to assume the guise of a seriously-ill small child, who is trying to get into the record books for receiving the most get-well coffee-flavour chocolates.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 14 September 2007, 11:29 PM
Bryan With a 'Y''s Avatar
Bryan With a 'Y' Bryan With a 'Y' is offline
 
Join Date: 11 January 2007
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,608
Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Redhead View Post
While chocolate doesn't contain caffeine, my caffeine often contained chocolate. Take some really strong dark roast coffee, some Hersheys chocolate syrup, and some half and half, mix them together and it ceases to matter which came first...the caffeine or the chocolate.
I'm down with that. This whole argument is easily settled by the Mocha Compromise.

Lil sprinkle of cinnamon too plskthx.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 15 September 2007, 12:55 AM
Jahungo's Avatar
Jahungo Jahungo is offline
 
Join Date: 23 May 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,351
Default

According to the abstract of this peer-reviewed article, chocolate contains 1.5-6 mg of caffeine per ounce. For comparison, roasted coffe has 85 mg caffeine for a 5 oz serving. Searching "caffeine and chocolate" on google scholar produces some nice cites.

Also, generally caffeine has a vasoconstriction effect, but I vaguely remembering reading somewhere that it has a vasoconstriction effect in most of the body but vasodilation in the brain. But I could be pulling that out of nowhere.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 15 September 2007, 01:04 AM
Jahungo's Avatar
Jahungo Jahungo is offline
 
Join Date: 23 May 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,351
Default

As far as headaches go, this clinical study found that caffeine in conjunction with acetaminophen (tylenol) was more productive than acetaminophen alone in reducing pain from tension headaches. Unfortunately, I can't access the full article and so can't say what they say as far as the nature of the mechanism of this pain relief. Another study found that caffeine by itself also has effects in reducing headache pain. But I can't access that article either. this study found that caffeine decreases blood flow velocity in the brain. Since I believe that this is a particle movement rate rather than a volume flow rate, this may be indicative of a vasodilation effect in the brain. However, caffeine also affects the heart in funny ways, so it may not.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 15 September 2007, 10:08 AM
Tasmanian Devil
 
Posts: n/a
Icon81

Speaking as a person who is allergic to caffeine in the doses you get from a single cup of coffee (to the point where I go into anaphylactic shock), I can say from experience that there is such a low amount of caffeine in chocolate that I can safely eat it, as long as I don't eat more than 10kg in one sitting... and if I did, I would probably be dead from other causes... but oh, what a way to go!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 15 September 2007, 04:25 PM
Latiam's Avatar
Latiam Latiam is offline
 
Join Date: 19 June 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,464
Default

I gave up caffeine a while ago for medical reasons - and was informed by my doctor of the "hidden caffeine" in chocolate. I am not particularly worried, as I do occasionally have decaffeinated drinks at restaurants and the like. I have learned, however, that sucking back a litre of Diet Coke unthinkingly like I used to within a few hours will give me a blinding migraine, the likes of which I had never experienced. Fortunately I have migraines so I had meds for it.
I once had a drink with guarana kind of by accident - it's a potent thing related to caffeine, is it not? I wasn't feeling well and bought a health drink on the way to class. I spent the next few hours (since it was big and I didn't drink it all right away) wondering why I had tremors.

I'll stick to caffeine-free Diet Coke from now on, thankyouverymuch.

ETA: That being said, I have still bought some acetaminophen with "relief enhancer" and plan on using it - just not in large quantities.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 15 September 2007, 10:16 PM
We'veBeenHad
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Latiam, strictly personal experience, but I've found guarana and so forth to be a lot worse than caffeine. Tremors sounds about right. I'll stick to caffeine-free Coke so long as it isn't diet. I don't know about all the claims made against sugar substitutes health-wise and diet-wise, but they taste nasty enough to me that I'd drink a caffeinated drink before a diet one Fortunately they give us plenty of options.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 16 September 2007, 01:49 AM
Latiam's Avatar
Latiam Latiam is offline
 
Join Date: 19 June 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,464
Default

Okay, I did some research, and ounce for ounce guarana beverages contain about double the caffeine that coffee does, and they ALSO have theophylline and theobromine, which are also stimulants.

Here is a fairly good site.

No wonder I had tremors. Nothing close to the occasional glass of Diet Coke I'd have in a restaurant.

We'veBeenHad, I actually hate the taste of aspartame. I can only stand it in Diet Coke - I seem to regard it as part of the taste. Everywhere else I have now become inordinately sensitive to it - I can't even have gum with it anymore. But it's also really hard to get caffeine-free Coke here. I do know that A&W and MUG Root Beer both have no caffeine. Not sure about Barq's - maybe that's the bite !

ETA: This site talks about some risks for using guarana as a fat burner. Apparently that's where it's being used now.

Last edited by Latiam; 16 September 2007 at 01:58 AM. Reason: add a link
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 16 September 2007, 08:53 AM
We'veBeenHad
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
We'veBeenHad, I actually hate the taste of aspartame. I can only stand it in Diet Coke - I seem to regard it as part of the taste. Everywhere else I have now become inordinately sensitive to it - I can't even have gum with it anymore. But it's also really hard to get caffeine-free Coke here. I do know that A&W and MUG Root Beer both have no caffeine. Not sure about Barq's - maybe that's the bite
Well, you know, Coke is SO good that it can cover a multitude of sins (including aspartame) Just because it's Coke, I mean hehe. If I were forced to drink diet anything I'll go with Coke brand Actually what I'm dying to get hold of is Coke made with sugar instead of HFCS - gotta find a Mexican restaurant that sells it. I'm sure we have one.

I did sure used to love Barq's, but unfortunately I think I mixed it with Vodka too many times so now it makes me a little queasy. But yeah, caffeine might account for that little barq's bite If you can enjoy root beer it's mighty nice stuff
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 17 September 2007, 05:10 AM
imjustasteph's Avatar
imjustasteph imjustasteph is offline
 
Join Date: 31 May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fictionallie View Post
I had always heard that caffine was a good replacement for, say, TylenolŪ when you had run out, in the form that it can relieve you of a headache. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but seems to have worked for me on the few occasions that I've tried it with something like Coke or Jolt Cola. Perhaps, though, it may be an issue of mind-over-matter, as I usually take 9 or 10 asprin (and I use the term asprin to describe ANY headache-reducing pill) and it rarely helps me. I'm under the assumption that all pills given to us are just placebos.
I also believe that most pills work on the placebo effect; however I believe strongly in the placebo effect and so most pills are pretty effective for me.

In fact, if I set my watch for fifteen minutes with the 'knowledge' that the pill is going to 'take' by then, it almost always will.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.