snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 03 September 2007, 01:32 PM

Icon22 Chocolate Does Not Contain Caffeine

http://www.xocoatl.org/caffeine.htm

Quote:
There is a persistent urban legend that Chocolate contains caffeine. It would seem that this rumor is based primarily on a confusion between two similar alkaloids: caffeine and Theobromine. Theobromine is the active ingredient in Chocolate and it occurs only in Cacao. The two stimulants are related and have a similar structures, but are very different chemicals with different properties, effects and origins. There are of course, some Chocolate products that have added caffeine, but it does not occur naturally in Chocolate
Old 03 September 2007, 01:35 PM

Ponder

Hm. Never heard that one before, quick poll of the office reveals nobody else here has either, seems this may well be a regional 'persistent urban legend'.
Old 03 September 2007, 01:38 PM

Icon05

Well I knew it had some sort of stimulant effect, and I'm sure I've heard someone mention caffeine before, but maybe not.
Old 03 September 2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
Hm. Never heard that one before, quick poll of the office reveals nobody else here has either, seems this may well be a regional 'persistent urban legend'.
I'd heard that Chocolate contained caffeine. However, not caring either way I've never bothered to look it up. Now I know.
Old 03 September 2007, 02:17 PM

I would just like to state the I strive to contain caffeine at all times (unless I'm trying to sleep!),

Seriously though, I have heard that chocolate contains caffeine but was never concerned about it. Now I know.
Old 03 September 2007, 02:38 PM

What about those coffee flavoured chocolates - the ones that get left at the bottom of the box/tin because absolutely no-one wants to eat them?
Old 03 September 2007, 04:28 PM

I heard that it was darker chocolate that had Caffeine, but the amount was so small, that it was insignificant in the long run.
Old 03 September 2007, 05:00 PM

I am more interested in making sure that I contain the chocolate.....
Old 03 September 2007, 05:51 PM

Meh, I'm not too surprised. Whatever stimulating effects chocolate does have, I always think of it as something relaxing. Like if I'm having...female troubles, there's nothing more relaxing than kicking back with a good book and a nice bar of chocolate.
Old 03 September 2007, 06:09 PM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
What about those coffee flavoured chocolates - the ones that get left at the bottom of the box/tin because absolutely no-one wants to eat them?
Please send them to 00-Saleen, care of this message board. I hate coffee, but love coffee-flavored stuff. Don't stand between me and Tiramisu, you might lose a hand.
Old 03 September 2007, 06:28 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen View Post
Please send them to 00-Saleen, care of this message board. I hate coffee, but love coffee-flavored stuff. Don't stand between me and Tiramisu, you might lose a hand.
No one will notice me on my covert operation to intercept any packages of coffeechocolategoodness to 00-Saleen. She will just believe they were stolen by customs or lost over the Atlantic in a terrible storm.

Unless I am given away by my moans of joy and chocolate colored mustache....

Morning
I missed it by *that* much....
Old 03 September 2007, 11:21 PM
Neffti

Aha. A new weapon in the fight against people giving my daughter chocolate before bedtime - and a possible explanation as to why doing so makes her bounce of the walls until 4am! I have been told by other parents that this happens because chocolate contains caffeine and it seemed plausible enough. Not very Snopes of me, that.
Old 04 September 2007, 12:46 AM

I always thought that chocolate contained caffeine, and I never thought to question it. It's just one of those things that are generally known. Thanks for the fascinating debunking.

It's theobromine that's so dangerous (and addictive) for dogs, isn't it?
Old 04 September 2007, 12:55 AM

Who cares? Just give me some!
Old 04 September 2007, 01:17 AM

My chocolate covered coffee beans contain caffeine - which is just as well.

me
Old 04 September 2007, 06:58 PM

Hmmm, a quick google turns up many cites that say chocolate does not contain caffeine. Many of those cite appear to use the http://www.xocoatl.org/caffeine.htm information.

There are a few sites that says chocolate does contain caffeine (though not much);
International Food Information Council Foundation:
http://www.ific.org/publications/bro...feinebroch.cfm
California Academy of Sciences:
http://www.calacademy.org/exhibits/c...ate_health.php
(those two cites say almost the same thing and may not be independent.)

A pretty good Yahoo Answers response is at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8101105AAmROqT which says chocolate does contain caffeine and provides a citation for their information.

There are a number of sites that say chocolate doesn't contain caffeine but it does contain related alkaloids that have similar affects.

So, a regular web search seems to give conflicting info and no clear consensus. Tried "Chocolate caffeine" at MELDINE and found
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum
(in Russian). English language abstract says grated cocoa and cocoa butter does contain caffeine, at about 1/10 the level of theobromine, the alkaloid most sites say is the "caffeine analog" in chocolate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum says there is caffeine in Cacao seeds. (The genus name for the plant that Chocolate is from is Theobroma cacao, hence the name of theobromine.)

In both these MEDLINE cites the authors were also measuring Theobromine, so it seems unlikely that they are miss-identifying theobromine as caffeine as the xocoatl.org site suggests.

So it looks to me like "Chocolate contains no caffeine" is the urban legend.

In summary:
1. Chocolate does contain a small amount of caffeine.
2. The amount of caffeine in the chocolate depends on how the cacao is processed.
3. The amount of caffiene is much lower, 10 to 100 times lower(?), than the amount of caffiene in say coffee.
4. Theobromine is present in higher concentrations, and has some of the same affects, as caffeine. So, even without the caffeine, the affect is similar.
Old 04 September 2007, 10:06 PM

Didn't we just have a thread a little while back about misconceptions over why candy turns children into rocket-powered dynamos? That most people think it's the sugar, but it's really caffeine?
Old 04 September 2007, 11:37 PM
Deepfrydegg

Reading

Sounds like the argument used by many "energy" drinks. They don't have "caffiene" they have Taurine / Guanine / whatever. Essentially it contains a compound that is very similar to caffiene (as I understand it...).

IMO, splitting hairs in the definition of some words.

I will be advised to give distance to any snopesters when chocolate / choco-coffee candies come out. However, you better leave me some of the good Lemon candy or there will be trouble
Old 05 September 2007, 03:49 AM

Frying Pan

I'd heard people say that you should take it along with headache medicine, because 'the caffiene in the chocolate makes the medicine work faster'. Which makes me picture a little headache tablet all hopped up on too much caffiene and jumping around......

But. I always figured that it was actually because the caffiene made the blood move faster, and in turn the pain meds got where they were going quicker....in which case any stimulant, it seems, would work equally effectively. And it just becomes a quibble over semantics...but at the same time, if I heard it *often* knowing it wasn't true, it would drive me nuts....I'd yell at someone.
Old 05 September 2007, 04:06 AM

Well you can buy headache medicines (at least here) with added caffeine, usually marketed as XYZ plus, Parcetamol and Aspirin, and the caffeine is supposed to increase the potency of the analgesic. I've no idea what the mechanism is - possibly it acts as a vasodilator and as you say, speeds the blood flow.