snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 03 August 2014, 11:12 PM

I gotta admit, of all the places I've lived I loved the climate in Seattle most of all.
Old 04 August 2014, 01:22 AM

I loved the climate there, too.
Old 04 August 2014, 02:23 AM

Yep. I love the climate here. Even when we get a heat wave in the summer that puts temperatures in 3 digits, the (relatively low) humidity makes it more tolerable than the mid-90s with near-100% humidity I grew up with during the summer. The only bad thing about it is that, although we do tend to get at least one such heatwave of several days' duration every summer, plus quite a few days of mid- to high 90s, most homes and businesses aren't air conditioned. We have just a window unit in the bedroom to make sleeping tolerable.

The rest of the summer, even when it's pretty hot, we can make do with window fans to suck in the cool air at night, followed by closing the house up during the day. We can often keep the house much cooler than the outside temperature that way.

I like too that we don't have snow in the winter as an ongoing problem. We often get a few snowy days, but then it goes away. The best winters I've had in Oregon were when I used to go skiing a lot, which got me a regular dose of really bright sun, and made me think about it snowing in the mountains when it was raining in the valley.
Old 04 August 2014, 03:08 AM

I miss the climate in Victoria (which is similar to Seattle or Vancouver with less rain). The biggest thing I miss here is that we really don't have spring or much of a fall. It goes from months and months of snow to full on summer within a week or two. My ideal temperature is somewhere in the 20's, and spring is by far my favourite season. If it's above 30, all I can do is look at the nice sunny day from inside and wish that I could tolerate the heat enough to enjoy it. I regularly go out in temperatures below -20 (down to -40 with the wind chill) during the winter and manage those better, even if I don't like it.