snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 24 June 2016, 01:32 PM

I was wondering whether or not the band would be tramped underfoot.
Old 28 September 2018, 08:51 PM

Judge Led Zeppelin ordered to go back on trial in 'Stairway to Heaven' copyright lawsuit

Led Zeppelin must go back on trial in a lawsuit that accuses the legendary rock band of ripping off the intro to its rock anthem "Stairway to Heaven" from a little-known 1960s instrumental, a federal appeals court ordered on Friday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...awsuit-n914831
Old 02 October 2018, 01:31 PM

I cannot beleive that this is still going on. As a point of interest I looked up Taurus on Spotify to remind myself of it only to find that I had added it to my playlist a few months ago because I quite like the track. The similarities are [i]so[\i] tenuous that I, as a musician and Led Zeppelin fan for the past 40 years didnít even make the connection between the two.

Itís absolute nonsense. A ludicrously common four chord progression in itself, does not give grounds for a copyright claim.

Bonkers.
Old 02 October 2018, 07:37 PM

Shifty Eyes

My tinfoil hat is receiving a signal that says this is just a trick to generate more streams/downloads of both groups' songs. It's cheaper than a remaster or a farewell tour. Honestly, it may even be cheaper than advertising if the lawyers they use aren't very good and/or agree not to put too much time into filing motions.
Old 03 October 2018, 04:40 PM

Might be a push from Randy Californiaís estate, not from Zep though, they are still ticking over quite nicely.

From what I gathered Randy wasnít particularly fussed about it when he was alive but now he has gone, the estate seems to think they are entitled to a massive payout.

Such a shame.
Old 04 October 2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
My tinfoil hat is receiving a signal that says this is just a trick to generate more streams/downloads of both groups' songs. It's cheaper than a remaster or a farewell tour. Honestly, it may even be cheaper than advertising if the lawyers they use aren't very good and/or agree not to put too much time into filing motions.
[personal opinion]

I listened to the Taurus song, and while there is a faint resemblance... There is no material worth downloading, and much less touring about.

[/personal opinion]

OY
Old 04 October 2018, 01:57 PM

United Kingdom

Oh, I agree. Spirit's recording history is underwhelming and as I already noted (years ago, when this thread was born) if the song in question bears a resemblance to anything, it's Pink Floyd's Is There Anybody Out There?.
Old 04 October 2018, 03:22 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
[personal opinion]
I listened to the Taurus song, and while there is a faint resemblance... There is no material worth downloading, and much less touring about.
[/personal opinion]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Oh, I agree. Spirit's recording history is underwhelming
That, right there, is reason for the suit. If you wrote something and made no impact with it, and someone else wrote something very similar (to your ears, at least) and had a huge hit, you would want some of the money. And if you can prove party B stole your song, then you get some of the royalties--or at least some money from someone (see I want a new drug/ Ghostbusters).

Seaboe
Old 04 October 2018, 05:34 PM

It was fairly easy in the case of I Want A New Drug/Ghostbusters, given that the studio went to Huey Lewis to try and get the rights to the song and only went to Ray Parker Jr after Huey declined.