snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 05 January 2011, 06:58 PM

Default Old men take golf seriously

http://www.sportspickle.com/videos/p...s-of-2010/4187

Fake? A wheel appears to come off, but later it's back on. Also, golfers in the background seem to disappear.
Old 06 January 2011, 08:09 AM

The fuy with the camera also appears to be able to run backwards at full speed and keep the angry golfer perfectly in frame...
Yeah, looks staged to me.
Old 06 January 2011, 08:52 AM

I dunno about the wheel. The golfers in the background do indeed vanish - so does the building. It's like as soon as Young Man #1 runs out from the bush they're all on an entirely different part of the course (or entirely different course).

Also, no real video I've seen yet, taken by someone running away in panic, shows a perfect in-frame shot of what's chasing him half the time, till he pans around for a perfect in-frame shot of his friend running ahead. It's not impossible but it seems 'too perfect' to be realistic.

Did Old Man #1 (the fast one) simply give up or something? He was chasing them pretty fast and staying with them and then they just stop and he's not seen again while they commiserate the broken car.

Were I on the course, I'd have reacted (initially) in exactly the same way. If it is real, they totally had the car destruction coming. Cheeky brats. As for the brandishing of the golf club on the persons ... more than I'd do, but seemed like a reasonable reaction of "this is turning nasty and I don't want to get hurt by you". Both sets of men are antagonistic and this turns potentially badly very quickly. Neither is likely to move away - it's far more likely they'd start threatening to hurt each other in the hopes the other backs off ... and when you have a weapon like a golf club already handily in-hand ... pretty obvious really. I'm not justifying it, just saying it ain't really very surprising (if real).
Old 11 January 2011, 06:31 AM

IMO staged with a side of overacting. Would they actually be surprised that people took a swing at the car with their clubs? Cute idea but as usual ruined by trying too hard.