snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09 May 2018, 12:34 AM

Bear Local honey cures allergies

A claim I've often heard from proponents of "natural" remedies is that eating honey from local bee hives can help with seasonal allergies. The honey has to be local; commercially produced honey that you buy at the grocery store doesn't work, supposedly.

I suppose as these things go it's pretty harmless (apart from spending money on something that might not work). I'm just wondering if there's any actual scientific evidence for this claim. I'm assuming the idea is that it exposes you to the thing you're allergic to, hence the requirement that the honey be local. The one problem I see with that is that there's no way to guarantee that the flowers the bees are going to are the ones you're actually allergic to.