snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 06 February 2014, 02:00 AM

Icon22 Students at women’s college upset at nearly nude statue of a man

Students at the exclusively female Wellesley College are demanding the removal of a “potentially triggering” life-like statue of a man wearing only underwear that was recently installed at their pristine Massachusetts campus.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/05/st...atue-of-a-man/

Here's another article{ http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sculptur...ollege-campus/
Old 06 February 2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
“I go to a women’s college so that I’m part of an inclusive and supportive community, not one that supports male artists and statues of naked men instead of women,” wrote student Raeesah Kabir on the Davis Museum Facebook page.
The stupid makes my head hurt.
Old 06 February 2014, 02:18 AM

There are bound to be lots of stupid comments on these issues.

I do have to question the wisdom of putting up art that at a quick glance might rightly have someone calling emergency services - especially on a campus for women. I think good art is often a kick to the senses. This one potentially kicks in a more sensitive area not because of the piece itself but the place it's been installed.
Old 06 February 2014, 03:36 AM

Yeah, it's a pretty ugly statue. But, c'mon ladies! You're college students. Break out the make-up and some thrift store clothes and have some fun!
Old 06 February 2014, 04:39 AM

Huh, my sister went to Wellesley. I should send her this.
Old 06 February 2014, 07:50 AM

This is not just a nearly nude statue of a man, this is a very realistic statue. I knew the image was going to be a statue, and it still fooled me. If I saw this, I would be alarmed and probably call 911, thinking that the guy is dead and frozen or something. It's a potential traffic accident waiting to happen.

One of the commenters on the cbsnews site made this excellent point:
Quote:
Just to comment one thing that seems to be getting filtered out of all of the articles: over the past several years, Wellesley has had fondlers and flashers on-campus actively harassing students. Many of the students on campus now experienced those past threats, as well as inebriated men coming and trying to follow them back to their dorms at night. Campus Police is phenomenal and have been able to be vigilant in the face of it, but to say that it isn't a very real concern for students is just not factual.

As an art piece in and of itself, most all Wellesley alumnae such as myself have no problem with it. However, it's located on an isolated path away from buildings that many students take home alone at night after studying. It conjures up memories of some of the things that have happened. No one should be made to remember and feel frightened to walk home alone in their own home - and yes, a "home" is what Wellesley is for the four years you are there and beyond.
Old 06 February 2014, 02:51 PM

I agree with the points made by Luka_the_Pooka. It isn't just a statue of a nearly naked man. It is a very realistic statue of a nearly naked man. It would freak me the hell out, and I don't even go to that school. It would mean that Every. Single. Time. that I took that path I would freak out and have to evaluate whether that was something real that I would have to consider a real threat, or "merely" something real-looking, that I would then realize wasn't a threat, but by that time I certainly wouldn't be having a pleasant evening. No. This isn't art. It's provocation.

ETA: Let me rephrase that. Location is very important. On a plinth in the middle of the quad it's art. In this location it's threatening.

Last edited by Hummelcat; 06 February 2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 06 February 2014, 02:59 PM

And why (at least from the pictures) is it in the middle of nowhere? Also, what's with the zombie "braaaaaiiiiinnnnsssss" pose?
Old 06 February 2014, 03:30 PM

Alternate headline: "Students upset by incredibly creepy and inappropriately placed statue." Yikes.
Old 06 February 2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka_the_Pooka View Post
If I saw this, I would be alarmed and probably call 911, thinking that the guy is dead and frozen or something.
Yeah. My first reaction to it wasn't that he looked threatening, but that he looked threatened -- as in, in serious danger from the weather, and/or possibly from somebody that had chased him out into the weather. It's possible that's because the linked pictures were taken while there was considerable snow present.

Given the rest of the info I've seen in this thread, I can also understand why some people would find it threatening.
Old 06 February 2014, 04:38 PM

To answer the last two posts: I read somewhere in the article that the name of the statue is, "Sleep Walker" or "The Sleep Walker". I don't remember which or where in the article, but it's in there somewhere.
Old 06 February 2014, 04:57 PM

I did see that also. Somebody sleep walking in the snow (ETA: or in cold weather even if without snow) wearing only underwear would be in danger. -- as of course would someone sleep walking in an area where walking into traffic would be possible; I can't tell from the articles whether that's an issue, though, as apparently it's in an "isolated" area.
Old 06 February 2014, 05:20 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
... But, c'mon ladies! You're college students. Break out the make-up and some thrift store clothes and have some fun!
I don't understand what you mean by that.
Old 06 February 2014, 05:29 PM

I think the suggestion is for the students to dress (and put make up on, I guess) the statue.

I think I get the kind of moment of recognition the artist says he was seeking. But it would be more effectively achieved in a crowded and open area like the middle of a quad, or a shopping mall kind of setting. In an isolated area I don't think you even get the intended effect. Instead, you get creeper out students. So either the installation site was very poorly chosen, or the artist is being disingenuous about his intended effect.

Last edited by erwins; 06 February 2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06 February 2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
And why (at least from the pictures) is it in the middle of nowhere? Also, what's with the zombie "braaaaaiiiiinnnnsssss" pose?
Perhaps the title of the sculpture would help? "The Sleepwalker."
Old 06 February 2014, 07:19 PM

I wonder where the idea came from that people sleepwalk with their arms out like that. That's not my experience.
Old 06 February 2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I wonder where the idea came from that people sleepwalk with their arms out like that. That's not my experience.
In films/television/plays they are often portrayed like that, so those who haven't much experience with real sleepwalkers may think that they do.
Old 06 February 2014, 08:15 PM

Yes, I get that, but where did the people who created those depictions of sleepwalkers get the idea? Where did it originate?
Old 06 February 2014, 08:35 PM

Isn't that the same pose used in early depictions of Frankenstein's monster? It may have become the de riguer pose for "half-aware walking human" which is why zombies are sometimes shown walking that way too.
Old 06 February 2014, 08:50 PM

My brothers and I have been known to hold apparently lucid conversations while sleeping/sleepwalking, although we have no memory of the conversations when we wake up. So not only can you not tell by looking at us that we're sleepwalking, you can't necessarily tell by talking to us.