snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Announcements

Old 24 August 2007, 07:43 PM

Welcome back, Bohemian Rhapsody in Blue.

Didn't you have a "Rhapsody in Pink?"

I don't see any reason why you would have to go through initiation again. It's changed to mostly business, and I bet you already know, or can figure out, how to do things here. It never has been required, anyway, though some stayed away from SLC for a long time because they thought they had to be initiated!

Last edited by Signora Del Drago; 24 August 2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: to add snopester's name since this will be on a new page for some
Old 27 August 2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian Rhapsody in Blue View Post
Hi there.

So, I had a baby, moved (again) across many states AND allowed my account to become deactivated! How could I?

So, hello to those who remember me, nice to meet you to those who don't, and (activate whine) do I HAVE to go through initiation again?
Hey! Hi! Nice to see you again! I was wondering where you'd gotten to.
Old 10 September 2007, 02:12 AM

Hi, I'm Shara.
Long time lurker, but only just registered.
I'm a 21 year old student of Forensic Science, and a part-time administrator for a power company to help pay off my student loan.

Now! To the questions!

Quote:
1. What is the first posting guideline?
Quote:
1) Check the main site at www.snopes.com before posting an inquiry here to ensure that your question hasn't already been answered.
2. What are the ages of the youngest, and oldest, registered posters?
Can i use a cop-out here and nick my answer off someoen else? I have plenty of free time on my hands, but not quite enoguh to check 3813 registered users! Being able to filter by age would have been useful, oh well.
Youngest will be 13, ULMB's minimum age, oldest is 93 i think.

3. Link to at least three threads where the word "sloth" was used.
Well, this one uses the word sloth, naturally!
Amazon Monster Is Only a Myth. Or Is It?
Scientists Can't Get Sloth to Move

4. What is a "bookachow" and how is it properly used?
Bookachow is a cartoon-type noise made when someone dashes off and then returns rapidly with a needed piece of information in hand.
The term was coined by Autolycus in 2000 and is used to direct members to earlier threads/discussions of a particular topic. The term can be morphed to fit the situation, for example "clownachow" when linking to the "clown statue" legend.

5. What is a sock puppet?
A sock puppet is a 2nd "fake" account and persona created on a message board for the sole purpose of commenting on your own work, to begin a discussion of a subject, or to provoke opposite sides of a controversy.

6. a) What is a troll?
it is either: a) a humanoid creature often found under old-style stone bridges.
or b) someone who signs up for an account purely to cause trouble and start arguements.
b) How should you deal with one?
a) Goats
b) Report them, and do not feed them. An admin will shove them off a bridge into a river for you.

7. What do YOMANK and NFBSK mean?
YOMANK: You Owe Me A New Keyboard. Used to imply that a post caused the reader to spit a beverage of some kind from either ther mouth or nose.
NFBSK: Not For British School Kids. Used as a warning that something is not for "sensitive" readers or is unsuitable for work/kids/etc., can also be used to replace most curse words, particualrly that ever popular four-letter curse word beginning with F.

8. What is the archived messageboard and how do you access it?
The archived MB is where the old board went to retire. A link can be found under the "Announcements" section of "About This Site". Take gifts and prepare for complaints of "You never visit any more".
So how did i do? I even managed a quote-within-a-quote!
Old 10 September 2007, 07:35 PM
GingerJess

My name is Jessica and I'm 23 years old from Charlotte, NC. My passion is meteorology... I'm a total weather freak! I found snopes through google a few days ago and thought it would be a fun place to be a part of! Here are the questions and hopefully the right answers!

What is the first posting guideline?
Check the main site at snopes.com to see if my question has already been answered (so I don't look dumb )

What are the ages of the youngest, and oldest, registered posters?
How do I find these? I know the youngest age allowed here is 13, but how do you search for these posters by age?

Link to at least three threads where the word "sloth" was used.
http://message.snopes.com/showthread...ighlight=sloth

What is a "bookachow" and how is it properly used?
I'd never heard of this word until now... it's used to redirect members to another topic or page on Snopes.com about the same topic.

What is a sock puppet?
A fake or phony person

Trolls are annoying people who just like to cause trouble among the threads.

I know I'm forgetting some questions... how'd I do otherwise?
Old 10 September 2007, 09:29 PM

Vanishing

Welcome, Shara (Golden Phoenix) and GingerJess! Sorry you've had to wait so long for a greeting. (For what it's worth, I think you've both done very well in answering these questions.)

Now, don't be shy about posting elsewhere on the message board (and remember to talk about urban legends sometimes, too).

-- Bonnie
Old 14 September 2007, 01:26 AM

Hey, there. My name's Doug, and I've been lurking here for a reallllllly long time and finally decided to join. Actually I tried once before a year ago or so, but for some reason the message board would not let me log on (I had the same problem just now-it keeps going in a constant loop of "Welcome, Roadsterboy!" then sending me to the login screen...but it works now fingers crossed!!! So, to the quiz.

1.) Check the main page at wwwdotsnopesdotcom to see if your question has been answered.

2.) I couldn't figure out how to sort by ages, but ISTR that there was one member who was in their 90's.

3.) Random acts of slothiness:

4.) "Bookachow" is the sound someone makes when they run off to get something and then run back. I sincerely hope to see it in a cartoon on Adult Swim some day. Used when a topic's been covered before, and often shortened to "chow" or "blank-a-chow". I have also nicked it and used it in an email at least once.

5.) A sock puppet is a toy, or a fake account on a forum, used so that a person can "argue" with someone. Both are a little creepy, frankly.

In closing, I would like to say thank you and I hope I passed the audition.

-Doug
Old 15 September 2007, 02:54 AM

Whalephant

Welcome, Doug (Roadsterboy). I'd say that you passed the audition with flying colors. (Were this an "audition," of course.)

Anyway, we're glad you joined up.

-- Bonnie
Old 17 September 2007, 07:35 AM
Paveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
This is our new and improved initiation thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Participation is completely optional...
Hello Snopesters,
I've had enough initiations for this lifetime so I'll stick to the "But this was optional" excuse I liked to use with my teachers. I am enjoying the board and spending most of my limited online time trying to catch up on some of the recent topics. I'll have to catch most of the archived stuff later.

I've had some family posting here for a few years and I decided to join in the fun.

-Paveman
Old 17 September 2007, 07:46 AM

Welcome, Golden Phoenix, GingerJess, Roadsterboy and Paveman!
Old 19 September 2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paveman View Post
Hello Snopesters,
Well, howdy, neighbor! Good to see another "local" on the board.

(Local meaning anywhere within 100 miles of me.)
Old 19 September 2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Fizz View Post
Another way is to just copy the bit that was in quotes in my original post (ie your words), then hit the quote button on the bottom right of my post. This brought up a reply window with just my words starting with "Okay", and I then pasted your words in at the beginning. I had to fiddle around by typing quote tags, but it automatically gave me "Originally Posted by Zachary Fizz", so everyone can see whose post I was quoting in the first place. This is good as otherwise people can become confused, and even insulted, if they think you are replying to one person when in fact you are replying to another.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!
I like to use the multi-quote feature to do what you did. It is essentially the same thing, except that all the quotes are in the same box, so it's easy to fiddle around with it. Bsically the steps are

1) Hit the multi quote button on all posts except the last one . it's the button with " on it
2) Hit Quote on the last one.
3) The message box will come up with all the posts that you hit multi-quote/quote on. All posts will be nested in quote tags
4) Fiddle around with the posts. Move them around as you see fit to make the posting history clearer
5) Add in your comments
6) Hit Submit reply

Be careful with the multi-quote feature. it is a bit confusing because hitting the multi-quote doesn't do much on the screen. It just makes the button go red. I think multi-quote is a powerful feature, but it's a bit cumbersome
Old 04 October 2007, 10:31 PM

I need the instuction on embedding a url
Old 04 October 2007, 11:27 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabohly View Post
I need the instuction on embedding a url
Me too! I just love the look of those dinky-links!
Old 05 October 2007, 12:56 AM

Copy the URL
Type the word you want to be the link.

Linky

Highlight it, then press the insert link button.
Paste the url in the popup box, press ok and voila you have an embedded link.
Old 05 October 2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookshow Baby View Post
Copy the URL

Linky

oh... I didn't know it was that simple. Thanks.
Old 09 October 2007, 10:05 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookshow Baby View Post
Copy the URL

Linky

Thanks, tried it and it worked . except that I couldn't paste into the box and ended up typing instead!
Old 14 October 2007, 08:36 PM
GrUvGrL

Icon220

Hello everyone. My name is Suzy. I live in Canada although it hasn't always been that way.

I joined sometime ago, at the request of my boyfriend. I was shy about posting, but always had a great time reading all the threads and subsequent posts. I just recently became more active in my Snopes activities, but then realized that all my answers were falling into a black snopes hole. When I asked my boyfriend he says "Did you do the initiation?"

So here I am, doing initiation, now on to the questions:

Q) What is the first posting guideline?
A) Check the main site at www.snopes.com before posting an inquiry here to ensure that your question hasn't already been answered.

Q) What are the ages of the youngest, and oldest, registered posters?
A) Iíll be honest and say that I didnít go through the 3701 registered members on this site, and I didnít find a search by age feature, but I take everyoneís word on the youngest being 13 (youngest allowed) and the oldest is 93.

Q) Link to at least three threads where the word "sloth" was used.
A) In this thread - post #20

In this thread - 1st post

And in this thread - posts #'s 1, 4, 12, 14, 32, 38 (4 times), 43 (3 times), 44 (4 times), 46 (4 times) this post once (if it shows up as post #57

Q) What is a "bookachow" and how is it properly used?
A) It's a term used to redirect ones querry to a previously discussed or answered thread. When this term is used, it means that someone didn't do what is stipulated in Question 1.

Q) What is a sock puppet?
Someone who has a multiple membership/personality disorder and decides to beckon their alter snopes ego to get attention by talking to themselves.

Not sure if the following are also real questions, but here it goes:

Q) What does YOMANK and NFBSK mean?
A) YOMANK - You owe me a new keyboard. Term used after spewing a drink all over your keyboard after laughing as someones post. Please note that if this happens let the liquid freely flow through your mouth as it burns like a NFBSK if you try to stop it and it exits through your nose
NFBSK - Not for british school school kids - See explaination on YOMANK to see how this term should be used. Also... use this term if posting or starting a thread that might be of sensitive nature to some.

Q) In what direction does North Valley Mills run?
A) I would assume it runs north, however I found out this answer is wrong and not meant to be answered by all.

Q) What is a gownless evening strap and who wears it?
A) I have absolutely no idea!!! Yet another trick question - I hope

Q) What is the archived messageboard and how do you access it?
A) The archived Message Board is where the old message board went to retire. It can be found under the "Announcements" section of "About This Site". Take gifts and prepare for complaints of "You never visit any more".

I hope I passed and that I can now start seeing all the posts I write.
Old 15 October 2007, 02:46 PM
Sarah71476

Icon102 Hi everybody!

Quote:
Questions (updated 27 June 2007):
  1. What is the first posting guideline?
  2. What are the ages of the youngest, and oldest, registered posters?
  3. Link to at least three threads where the word "sloth" was used.
  4. What is a "bookachow" and how is it properly used?
  5. What is a sock puppet?
1. Check the main site at www.snopes.com before posting an inquiry here to ensure that your question hasn't already been answered.

2. Dtay is 13, and geminigp@att.net and sentry are both coming up as 88.

3a. http://message.snopes.com/showthread...ighlight=sloth
3b. http://message.snopes.com/showthread...ighlight=sloth
3c. http://message.snopes.com/showthread...ighlight=sloth

4. Bookachow alerts members that a topic has been previously discussed. It's used with a link to the original post, and 'book' can be replaced with anything pertaining to the post.

5. A sock puppet is an additional user account created by someone so they can talk to themselves. Usually because no one else cares!

6a. A troll is someone who deliberately posts stupid comments, just to get everyone else all riled up.
6b. You are supposed to report them and ignore them.

7a. YOMANK - You owe me a new keyboard.
7b. NFBSK - Not for British school kids, who are apparently much more sensitive than my feisty Irish cousins.

8. And I'm tired of looking for the link for the post graveyard, but you can be sure that I won't do any necroposting. Besides, I am eager to start wandering around the main boards!!

Hi everyone!
Old 08 November 2007, 06:12 AM
TomBernard

Reading

Hello all,

This looked to be about as close as I could find to an "introduce yourself" thread, so I figured I'd chime in. I'll forgo the initiation quiz, if'n y'all don't mind.

I was a reader of a.f.u. back around the mid to late 90's and had the good fortune to meet and become friendly with Barbara and David sometime around 1997. David and I even appeared together as special guests on a T.V. show together called "Philly After Midnight" back then, to discuss UL's as "experts." (though in my case the term was certainly over-generous) These were heady times for UL researchers (the term having just come into common knowledge among the general population) and it was a great time to be a know-it-all.

Not sure if anyone here still remembers the old "message board" from the original snopes site, but that's where I spent a majority of my time. Anyway, time went by and I eventually drifted away (due in large part to my employer at the time pulling the plug on unfettered internet access, I suspect) but always checked in with the "what's new" updates and kept snopes.com close at hand for reference and those delightful "I told you so!" moments.

That being said, I'm glad to be back, and am looking forward to more UL tracking and witty banter with y'all, and I'll do my best not to upset the BSK's.

Tom "back in blech" Bernard
Old 08 November 2007, 06:14 AM

Welcome back, Tom! I wasn't around way back then, but I'm glad you're here now.