snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 12 June 2018, 10:55 PM

Baseball

IHOP is a family favourite of ours when we visit the States. I hope they stay around, because when I go there, I like to pop in and have a good feast.
Old 12 June 2018, 11:22 PM

I'm always reluctant to admit when I like certain American chain restaurants . We always used to look forward to going to The Olive Garden when we would go down to the States but I've been informed that this is very déclassé!
Old 12 June 2018, 11:54 PM

I'm guessing déclassé is the restaurant version of when an indie band has "sold out" and become known.
Old 13 June 2018, 12:28 AM

Darn, I must be even more or that should be less classy than I thought. I like Olive Garden.
Old 13 June 2018, 05:37 AM

It depends on what you have available in your area. In the small town where I grew up there was one Italian restaurant in town, which wasn't a chain, but if anything it was worse than an Olive Garden. Soft, overcooked pasta from a box, and wine that was also from a box. Sauces from big tin cans. Dishes that was almost certainly pre-manufactured, frozen, and defrosted in a microwave before being finished in an oven.

That was arguably the best restaurant in town.

But there are places with lots of superior local options and places like Olive Garden are still in business there, which can make some people incredulous about how others don't appreciate the better options. Olive Garden doesn't stand out as worse than many other chains, but they're often used as a shorthand for the whole class of similar chains with mediocre, mass produced renditions of their cuisine. Also they've had advertising that is easy to make fun of, so that may make them more of a target.
Old 13 June 2018, 05:52 AM

The last time I tried going to an Olive Garden there was an hour and a half wait. I went to a nearby local restaurant and was seated immediately. That was years ago. I don't really go for that kind of fare anymore anyway.
Old 13 June 2018, 01:33 PM

Chef

The appeal of Olive Garden in competitive markets is that it's reasonably good food at good prices. For people who can't afford to eat out at higher-quality places, it's worth the wait. And if they don't eat out often, as a known chain it's probably a safer choice than the local independent places.
Old 13 June 2018, 01:40 PM

Olive Garden has good endless soup/salad/breadsticks, and is usually not too much money. If you want a really good Italian meal, go to a different place. If you want soup/salad/breadsticks and maybe some pasta, go to Olive Garden. A lot of people do, as evidenced by crocoduck having an hour and a half wait. I think it is like IHOP/B, Applebees and other chains in that you are going to get a consistently pretty good meal. It won't be great, but it will be good, there is a pretty good selection, and there are better places nearby that you might not know of if you are not a local.

Plus, since the typical Canadian mostly survives on seal steak and whale blubber, eating at IHOP or Olive Garden must be a good treat.
Old 13 June 2018, 02:19 PM

When DH and I travel, we make it a point to eat at local restaurants. Nothing against the chains, but we can get that at home. However, there are a lot of good local options here as well. Plus some good regional ones. Looking at you Silver Diner!
Old 13 June 2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Plus, since the typical Canadian mostly survives on seal steak and whale blubber, eating at IHOP or Olive Garden must be a good treat.

For this Canadian places like IHOP and Olive Garden though actually are treats because they are restaurants we don't get here - or that said I don't get in my immediate area, perhaps they have them in bigger venues like Toronto or Vancouver.
Old 13 June 2018, 02:32 PM

Yeah, people get excited by what they can't find locally. My wife was SO happy when she got some poutine a couple of years ago, since it is just not done locally.
Old 13 June 2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post

For this Canadian places like IHOP and Olive Garden though actually are treats because they are restaurants we don't get here - or that said I don't get in my immediate area, perhaps they have them in bigger venues like Toronto or Vancouver.
I don't think Canada ever had IHOP and Olive Garden is long gone. In Toronto, there are just so many better options for Italian food from low price to high.

For breakfast, I try to avoid national / multi-national chains. I'm in downtown Toronto and there are loads of great independent breakfast places (or local chains) I'd rather support. Like in Greektown, where restaurants use their leftover lemony potatoes from the previous night's dinner to make homefries.
Old 13 June 2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I don't think Canada ever had IHOP and Olive Garden is long gone. In Toronto, there are just so many better options for Italian food from low price to high.
That's true here too but the problem for many is that the better places tend to be downtown or certainly more centrally located. I know complaining about Ottawa traffic and parking probably sounds goofy compared to what a Torontonian deals with but it's all what you know. Anyway if you're in the outer suburbs or more rural, downtown places may not be an option you want to explore very often. I suspect that's one reason anyway that some of the chain type places are still thriving here. Not Olive Garden though, and Outback is also long gone. Denny's I think we have maybe 2 left in the whole area.
Old 13 June 2018, 03:15 PM

None in Canada? I guess IHOb isn't as I as their acronym would claim to be.
Old 13 June 2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The last time I tried going to an Olive Garden there was an hour and a half wait.
Olive Garden is always packed with a line out the door on Fridays-Sundays, near my neck of the woods.

OY
Old 13 June 2018, 04:13 PM

GenYus, I always took it to mean that, at least originally, they had pancakes made in the styles of multiple countries' version of pancakes.

I used to like them; but it's been a long time since I've been there. There isn't one close to me; and I very rarely eat out, in any case.

In terms of whether a chain is any good or not: tastes vary widely. Years ago, I was out with my mother, and she wanted to stop at a Subway -- I think she thought it was a new independent place. She tasted her sandwich, tasted mine, and said, 'This will never catch on.' I had to break it to her. I also thought both sandwiches were awful; but obviously lots of people disagree with me.
Old 13 June 2018, 04:17 PM

This was on a Tuesday and to the best of my knowledge there wasn't any sort of special event in the town. Apparently it just gets that crowded at dinner time. Or did at one point, anyway.
Old 13 June 2018, 04:33 PM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
For this Canadian places like IHOP and Olive Garden though actually are treats because they are restaurants we don't get here...
I felt the same way about Trader Vic's, which apparently has only two US locations these days. The totally fake "Polynesian" atmosphere always appealed to me as a child, but I couldn't convince my parents to make the trip in the chain's heyday. I did finally get the chance when on a job interview in Dallas, where an original location had been renovated and reopened. Unfortunately, that one is now gone, too.
Old 13 June 2018, 04:42 PM

I've been to a Trader Vic's once. I had a Pina Colada, because that was the only reason to go to a Trader Vic's for me. I saw no werewolves, perfect hair or otherwise.
Old 13 June 2018, 05:14 PM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Yeah, people get excited by what they can't find locally.
When I was a kid my family would drive from North Carolina to Wisconsin to visit my grandparents. We'd typically stop for dinner somewhere in Ohio, and I was always excited because that meant we got to eat at Bob Evan's, which didn't exist in our part of the country at the time*. Than as an the subject of Bob Evan's restaurants came up in conversation at work, and a coworker described them as "not that great, sort of like Denney's". It came as a bit of a shock to hear the restaurant I loves so much as a kid described that way, although if I want and ate there as an adult I might feel the same way. It's probably been around 20 years since I've eaten at one.

*I think Bob Evan's may have expanded to NC now, but at the time they were limited to the Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana region, I believe.