snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 07 June 2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I'm working through another playthrough of Fallout 4 in preparation for Fallout 76. I'm just hoping that F76 has a single player mode, since I HATE online play with other people.
I'd like to remind everyone that all we have about Fallout 76 (including the game's name) is purely speculation at this point. We don't know anything about what the gameplay's going to be.
Old 07 June 2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
For me one of the great features was how varied the terrain was.
Yes, it's amazing, isn't it? Even in the deserts, it's still different in each section and distinctly different in Mexico and the USA, but it hangs together as a whole too. And you can look down from some areas, like the top of the bluff between MacFarlane's Ranch and Armadillo, or up in the woods in Tall Trees (I've not got there yet on this playthrough) and get a fantastic view across the whole of another area. I'm hoping the next one is as good - it looked it from the trailer.

I'm glad the next one is a prequel. It would have been hard to keep the atmosphere if they'd had to put it much further in the future, when there would have started to be cars in the whole map. (Which is another brilliant detail in the original - going back to the initial city near the end, and suddenly being back in the 20th Century and being able to drive cars).
Old 07 June 2018, 08:47 PM

I just have a bad feeling that this is going to be another Rockstar title where they advertise all the bad things that you can do, then mock you for it.
Old 07 June 2018, 11:44 PM

I'm just sitting here still on World of Warcraft.
Old 11 June 2018, 01:33 PM

Just saw a report from E3 that Forza Horizon 4 is going to be set in the UK - fantastic! I've always wanted more games set in places I know. I wonder which areas they'll include? I would imagine there'll be a chunk of London as well as the countryside that's shown in the trailer I saw (which looks like it could be the Cotswolds). Oxford would be another good city to include, if you're allowed to tear about the centre as usual. I'd like there to be part of Sussex (Brighton, perhaps) which could include woods and hills, and they'll probably want some moorland. If they can stretch Australian geography enough to put the Twelve Apostles on the Gold Coast, then I think they could manage to put the Scottish Highlands between London, Oxford and Brighton...
Old 11 June 2018, 02:04 PM

The special edition of Fallout 76 will include a wearable T-51 Power Armor helmet with spotlight and voice modulator.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Old 11 June 2018, 02:29 PM

I would have gotten the Pip Boy edition of Fallout 4 had it been available, but $200 for the helmet is probably a bit much. I can't wait for Fallout 76, though, especially since they say you can absolutely play it solo, and you won't lose progress.
Old 11 June 2018, 03:04 PM

Ooh, the trailer I'd seen (with the place I thought was the Cotswolds) wasn't the full one:

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/10...indows-e3-2018

It's definitely got the Highlands of Scotland, and Edinburgh too. I hope it's got some locations further south.

I'm not sure that snowplough is very British, though (maybe in Scotland you might see them - round here it would be a gritter lorry), and the bluebells should be in a beech wood not pine!

(eta) Yes, I'm hoping that Fallout 76 still has a good solo campaign, too. The demos look great, but "emphasis on multiplayer" always puts me off. I was pleased that the demos appear to show a much greener and leafier wasteland than in the other games - I think I mentioned once that it annoys me how all the trees are still dead 200 years later in the other games, and that if the environment was really that hostile nothing would be able to live in it.
Old 11 June 2018, 04:32 PM

The funny thing about Fallout 76 having greener and leafier wasteland is that if ever there was a Fallout game that shouldn't, it's this one. This is either 20 or 25 years after the bombs fell, and you are among the first to leave a vault. It certainly shouldn't be in better shape than another 100-200 years later.
Old 11 June 2018, 05:04 PM

Yes, I saw somebody handwave it by saying that it was set in West Virginia and there wouldn't have been any targets worth nuking there, so there would have been less direct damage. Which makes you wonder why they'd have needed a vault in the first place.

I still think it's probably more realistic as to what the landscape might look like 20 years after a nuclear war, once the dust has settled, though! Outside direct target areas, 20 years without people around (assuming the premise of the game that they're mostly hiding in vaults) might well allow more damage to regenerate than the nuclear war would cause...
Old 11 June 2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
(eta) Yes, I'm hoping that Fallout 76 still has a good solo campaign, too. The demos look great, but "emphasis on multiplayer" always puts me off.
Straight from the horse's mouth (Todd Howard), "Of course you can play this solo... You'll be who you want, exploring a huge world, doing quests, experiencing a story and leveling up." (4:24)

ETA: Ideally, they looked to Borderlands for how to do solo/co-op play perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
This is either 20 or 25 years after the bombs fell, and you are among the first to leave a vault. It certainly shouldn't be in better shape than another 100-200 years later.
Except for the vault under the Greenbriar Hotel, real-life West Virginia wouldn't have any special targets for nuclear weapons. (ETA: Oops.) In the Fallout universe, there didn't seem to be massive amounts of atomic weapons, so anything other than a major target could have avoided being hit directly. With mountains separating it from the major targets in Northern Virginia and Washington DC, West Virginia might have been spared major destruction. The end times would have been from dispersed fallout, disease, and disruption of services, most of which would have spared the vegetation.

Plus, I have long held the believe that the destruction we see in later games is from more than the just atomic fire of October, 2077. I think there have been multiple wars, both conventional and atomic since then. In nearly every game, there have been potentially catastrophic events underway that only the main characters prevented. Fallout would have seen an army of super mutants attacking everything. Fallout 2 and 3 had a bioweapon that would have killed off every non-Vault human. Van Buren would have had a satellite armed with 24 atomic missiles. Fallout NV: Lonesome Road saw still-active atomic missiles that could be retargetted. Fallout 76 itself may show us why the later eras are so bad:

Quote:
Players will need to gear up and fight their way through waves of enemies to find keys to an underground missile silo. Once inside, they’ll use launch keycards to attack other settlements on the map. After the bombs fall, players will be able to revisit that location on the map to harvest new and unusual resources.
IOW, 20 years after the first atomic war, you can continue the devastation of atomic war for fun and profit. I guess what they say is true...

War. War never changes.

Last edited by GenYus234; 11 June 2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11 June 2018, 05:22 PM

Doing bad things for fun and profit is fine, though. It's only if you do them for political reasons that they're actually bad.
Old 16 June 2018, 06:51 PM

Baseball

I was playing MLB The Show 18 the other day and I noticed that I was allowing a lot of passed balls. Recently Gary Sanchez has been notorious for passed balls IRL, but I was getting 3-4 in one inning. On a hunch, I checked my lineup, and I realized that I had inadvertently put outfielder Brett Gardner in at catcher.
Old 21 June 2018, 01:58 PM

After reading all of the information that's come out so far about FO76, I'm not going to be playing it. It's required to play with other people (and even if you prefer to play solo, you'll still be in a world with other real people rather than NPCs), and between that and requiring Xbox Gold to play (as Elder Scrolls Online does), I'll be skipping this title. Sad because this is one of my favorite series, but I'm not a MMORPG player, nor someone who wants to have anything to do with other players.
Old 21 June 2018, 05:13 PM

That seems to be the consensus regarding FO76. The whole thing just seems to have alienated a lot of Fallout fans.
Old 21 June 2018, 06:17 PM

Someone needs to point out to Bethesda and Bioware how poorly Sim City's always online venture went. And that didn't even require you to play with other people.
Old 21 June 2018, 06:49 PM

Bioware doesn't need to be told that, EA needs to be told that.
Old 21 June 2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleHunter View Post
Someone needs to point out to Bethesda and Bioware how poorly Sim City's always online venture went. And that didn't even require you to play with other people.
Diablo 3 had a horrible start...and I still don't play it, even though I played the crap out of 1 & 2. The loss of the static map was horrible for me...
Old 21 June 2018, 07:26 PM

Diablo 3 is really just an idle-clicker where you can die.
Old 21 June 2018, 07:29 PM

Yeah, I don't know what makes them think that making games like that online-focused is a highly demanded feature. Adding multiplayer as an online extra is certainly welcome, but making it the preferred mode, let alone required, just doesn't seem like it has that great an appeal to the game's already-wide audience. And it doesn't seem likely that people are going to abandon World of Warcraft for it, either.

I'm reading this thread partly because I finally have broken down and ordered myself a reasonably decent gaming PC. I recently made some upgrades to my existing PC, and it performed well when it performed, but it has some stability issues that I haven't been able to fix, and the video card is still the old one (which is not a terrible one, but not fantastic either). So rather than continue to struggle with it, I decided to start over.

I'm mainly still playing Overwatch for a bit each night, and trying to decide what else to do. Kind of bored with my MMO's at the moment, and I can't seem to find a single-player game that holds my interest for too long. I know what I want, which is a game that plays like Skyrim, but has the same kind of story depth and characterization as a good Bioware title. (And character customization, and preferably having it be more than cosmetic, which is another grump against Skyrim.) I'm looking ahead a bit to Cyberpunk 2077, which sounds like it might meet the bill pretty well, but won't be out for at least a year. So, hoping for inspiration.