snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 21 May 2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
My UK twin has ordered from a store...
I initially read that was "My UK twin was ordered from a store," which would be an interesting way of going about having twins...
Old 21 May 2018, 11:36 PM

My city uses a website/app called See Click Fix as a way for citizens to report issues to the city, like potholes, broken streetlights, graffiti, and the like. I've used it a few times and it's a really convenient way to report non-urgent issues. Anything anyone reports via that site is visible to the public, and since I've used it before by default it sends me an email notification when someone reports an issue in my general neighborhood. Some of the things other people report are, IMO, completely petty non-issues. For example today someone reported two trailers parked by the curb in two separate locations as "obstruction in street". They're no more of an obstruction than a parked car would be. These are wide streets with ample room for parking on both sides. It would be perfectly legal to park a car there, and AFIK it's no less legal to park a trailer there. For that matter I've seen people report parked cars as "abandoned vehicles" when they pretty clearly belong to the residents of the house they're parked in front of but just haven't been driven in a few days. It seems like whoever's making these reports really wants HOA type rules in a non-HOA neighborhood.
Old 22 May 2018, 02:35 AM

Mouse

This isn't a First World Problem, just a thank you to Kirk and Crocoduck for helping me out. It's a small thing, but hey, the world could benefit from more acts of kindness, even if their small ones.

I don't know how I feel about another season, even an abbreviated one, because again, the recent episode would make a good conclusion as is, and I'm not sure that I want to see them struggle to stretch things out for thirteen more episodes.

If you're wondering, I had pretty much dropped out of Agents after Season One, because Skye was such a goddanged Mary Sue that it was actually painful to see her onscreen. I don't know if she could achieve the level of the fictional character hatred I have for Mohinder Suresh or Sasuke Uchiha*, but she was rising through the ranks and I didn't want to put up with more.

Then they lured me back with Ghost Rider. Still haven't seen any of the seasons in between season one and Ghost Rider--though I have a general idea as to what happened--but at some point, the show stopped being the All-Skye Spectacular and became the kind of ensemble show I had been expecting when I tuned in, in the first place.

*For those wondering, Sasuke Uchiha is at number one on my hated fictional characters list. I don't know if there will ever be anyone who will surpass him.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:56 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
It seems like whoever's making these reports really wants HOA type rules in a non-HOA neighborhood.
I think that's true of a lot of people. Especially those who want others to obey the HOA type rules, while they do as they please.

Seaboe
Old 22 May 2018, 03:01 PM

I posted a comment in a thread on another forum but the mods decided it was off topic and removed it. What's annoying me and is also a FWP is they didn't remove any of the comments people made quoting me and expanding on what I said. Not a serious problem of course but an irritating one!
Old 23 May 2018, 08:14 PM

Engrish.com seems to be blocked at work now. That and Cake Wrecks have been my regular lunch time reading for as long as I've been working here. At least Cake Wrecks is still available.
Old 24 May 2018, 09:51 PM

Default Meghan Markle renounced US citizenship?

I am seeing some claimed that Meghan Markle has renounced US citizenship, but all I can find are links to articles in regards to potential tax ramifications if she remains a US citizen.

I did find a Newsweek article which indicates she has started the process of becoming a British citizen, but I don't think she could renounce US citizenship until she establishes another citizenship.

Anyone see anything different, verifying that she has indeed renounced US citizenship?

http://www.newsweek.com/why-meghan-m...e-harry-724705

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 24 May 2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 25 May 2018, 02:24 AM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
Anyone see anything different, verifying that she has indeed renounced US citizenship?
I would expect that there would first be an announcement that she has gained UK citizenship before she renounces. Otherwise she could become stateless.
Quote:
Persons intending to renounce U.S. citizenship should be aware that, unless they already possess a foreign nationality, they may be rendered stateless and, thus, lack the protection of any government.
And she has to live in the UK for 3 years before she's even allowed to apply.
Quote:
Only then can they apply for citizenship, provided they have spent no more than 270 days outside the UK in the past three years.
So it will be some time, assuming she follows the standard rules.
Old 25 May 2018, 03:20 AM

Cap, I agree. I was wondering if I had missed a major news story and I could not find anything to verify the renunciation had taken place.

Thanks.
Old 25 May 2018, 05:18 AM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
And she has to live in the UK for 3 years before she's even allowed to apply.
Let's hope she keeps all the utility bills (and they are in her name, and not her husband's) and every other piece of paper to proof her recidency - holding a public office may not be enough.
Old 26 May 2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Engrish.com seems to be blocked at work now. That and Cake Wrecks have been my regular lunch time reading for as long as I've been working here.
I love Cakewrecks too but I feel the premise of 'Engrish.com' (and similar sites) is extremely chauvinist. I mean, even putting aside the imperialist and cultural imperialist history of the language, it's a peculiar and clumsy language to begin with. There's something seriously wrong with laughing at other people's 'Engirsh' even if we've all been guilty of it. (Sometimes I feel for the cake wreckorators too. But at least there I'm confident any cake I made would probably look worse, even if I didn't make it a Happy Falker Satherhood.)
Old 29 May 2018, 01:51 PM

Glasses

To me, it says a lot that if a baker is offended and complains, Cakewrecks will remove the image. They're out for laughs, not humiliation.

Seaboe--oh, and Falker Satherhood is next month. Don't forget your Falker!
Old 29 May 2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Let's hope she keeps all the utility bills (and they are in her name, and not her husband's) and every other piece of paper to proof her recidency - holding a public office may not be enough.
Yes, I was going to say that she might have a lot of trouble remaining in the country these days if they give her the standard treatment. It's not easy to bring partners into the country. I assume she must have the correct income and they've checked all her work visas and made sure her employers didn't prefer her to a UK citizen and so on...
Old 29 May 2018, 02:02 PM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Yes, I was going to say that she might have a lot of trouble remaining in the country these days if they give her the standard treatment. It's not easy to bring partners into the country. I assume she must have the correct income and they've checked all her work visas and made sure her employers didn't prefer her to a UK citizen and so on...
In all seriousness isn't marrying a UK citizen enough to at least let you live in the country? I have several friends and relatives who've done this - but perhaps being Canadian makes a difference.
Old 29 May 2018, 02:08 PM

No, not since about 2012 I think, even from Canada. My friends who have moved to Canada and married Canadians said even back then that it would be very difficult to move back now with their families because of changes to the law. The spouse needs a certain income level and needs to already have the job lined up before coming to the country. One friend thought it would mean at least six months separation for them if he were to move back to try to arrange it. And my friends are well-paid, well educated (and white) professionals who are UK citizens from birth.

It's a relatively recent change to the law. If your friends have been living here more than six or seven years they may not have had to meet the same conditions. Although it's got even worse lately, and with an increasing number of cases like the one Don Enrico has highlighted, they might find themselves facing problems too if they try to renew / apply for a passport or anything like that, even if they think they have indefinite leave to remain.
Old 29 May 2018, 02:10 PM

My daughter had to jump through all kinds of hoops to live in the UK for a year with her husband who is a student there.
Old 29 May 2018, 02:57 PM

Interesting, the people I know who relocated to the UK mostly did it long before 2012. That said though a friend of mine has a daughter who moved over there to teach a few years ago and who is now living there permanently with her partner. I don't know if they've married (does the UK recognize gay marriage?) but likely she is staying in the UK based on her own employment and her 'right of abode' due to a British parent. Unless they've also changed the rules for 'right of abode'?
Old 02 June 2018, 12:19 AM

Glasses

Quote:
Along the same lines, I wanted to try Necco Wafers, just to try them, and to see if there really as bad as the panelists on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me imply that they are (they're really not), and because of the rumors that the company that makes them might go out of business.
Maker of candy hearts sold to company that saved Twinkies.

Our candy hearts are saved! Well, at least there is a possibility that our candy hearts and Necco wafers will continue to be manufactured.

To the delight of dentists everywhere...

Morning
Old 02 June 2018, 12:23 AM

I always have a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. So today I bought the ingredients to make dinner on the assumption that I already had chicken in the freezer. I just went to make dinner, and there in fact was not any chicken in the freezer. Now I don't know what I'm going to have for dinner.
Old 02 June 2018, 02:39 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Along the same lines, I wanted to try Necco Wafers, just to try them, and to see if there really as bad as the panelists on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me imply that they are (they're really not), and because of the rumors that the company that makes them might go out of business. Not knowing where else to buy them*, I ordered some from Amazon. Except the smallest quantity I could find on Amazon was a pack of 6 rolls. Well, that's the smallest quantity I could find then, anyway. Now Amazon is recommending a pack of 3 rolls. A whole lot of good that does me now, Amazon.

*Well, there is a candy store in Old Sacramento that I bet would have them, but I don't want to go all the way out there just for candy.
I understand that problem. Ever since this post laying into La Croix, Iíve wanted to try some, just to see if itís really that bad, but probably canít track down just a single can and would have to buy a whole pack. La Croix is still probably better than Steven Segalís Lightning Bolt . Yeah, there was no real reason for me to post that link, but it is one of my all-time favorite reviews of anything and Iíve always wanted to share it. You have to admire the guyís dedication to his craft; most would have taken a few sips and given up.