snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 29 November 2018, 03:40 PM

Police

GenYus, ya got me.
Seaboe, the car would have to be registered with the state, and the MVA (presumably) would have to sign off on the tag. I can't imagine them saying yes to a tag that could confuse the revenuers, uh, I mean the cameras. But perhaps the folks at the MVA have no idea about the 1/I combo.
Old 29 November 2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That's what I meant, that the thought behind it could be that it would be hard to tell via a photo if the plate is 1111111, IIIIIII, or some other combination. Don't know if that is accurate or not, just that's my thinking on the thinking behind that plate.
I suspect human eyes attached to law enforcement officials would be more susceptible than the camera ones but either or both could be the intended target of the owner of such a license plate..
Old 29 November 2018, 04:47 PM

Old 29 November 2018, 05:28 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I'd never heard of it, but apparently it's considered one of the worst sports cars ever.
Ok, part of their argument for being one of the worst sports cars is

Quote:
Not only that, but base models were not equipped with power side mirrors, passenger airbag, and even a power steering during the first three model years. Somehow, it felt cheaper than its predecessor, the CRX.
I'm not sure about the other things, but if I remember correctly the MX-5/Miata that they compare it to also lacked power steering in the base model in the early days. And it lacked air conditioning, I think. And yet it's frequently praised as on of the best sports cars.
Old 29 November 2018, 05:33 PM

Also, a roadster is different from a sports car. AIUI, a roadster is not meant to be a full-featured powerful car, but a fun car to take on a drive for no reason.

Quote:
you should definitely give the Del Sol a chance.
Um.... okay. Even if not the very worst, how can it be in a list of worst and still be recommended?
Old 29 November 2018, 08:43 PM

I stopped to look at the Edsel Ranchero I saw and reported on recently. Turns out it is a 1958 Ford Ranchero that had the front clip replaced with that of an Edsel Pacer. The tail lights are 1957 Ford but that is the way it came from the factory supposedly.
Old 29 November 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Um.... okay. Even if not the very worst, how can it be in a list of worst and still be recommended?
That last section read like sort of a dissenting opinion to me, like there was a vocal minority on their writing staff who didn't think the Del Sol belonged on that list, and they were allowed to write those last two paragraphs, and they're the ones who are recommending that people give it a chance.
Old 30 November 2018, 02:57 PM

Glasses

Yesterday I saw a Chevy Vega! It was on a flat-bed trailer, but still...

Seaboe
Old 02 December 2018, 03:11 PM

France

When I was in London some three weeks ago, I saw some interesting cars. First were in Hampstead, the neighbourhood where my hotel was. A Bentley Continental Coupé :

A BMW i8 :

And a Toyota MR2 :

Which made me think that Hampstead is a posh neighbourhood. After all, when someone has a car likie these, one can be sure that he (or she) doesn't have any problems making ends meet.

And on Oxford Street, I saw that :

I never would have thought that I would see a Rolls Royce SUV. How low the mighty have fallen !
Old 02 December 2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
Which made me think that Hampstead is a posh neighbourhood.
Hampstead is definitely a posh neighbourhood, but the best places to see nice cars - especially supercars / hypercars - in London are Park Lane / Mayfair and Kensington.

There are dealerships on Park Lane including one of the flagship Aston Martin ones, and another that I think is independent but often has some real exotics in the window - it had a Pagani Zonda R in there once, the only place I've seen one of those. There's also the Dorchester hotel which presumably has a big underground carpark as well, but has a little forecourt parking area where they put all the nicest cars; that's usually full of Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Ferraris and Lambos. I saw a Porsche 918 in it last time I passed. After wandering along there, if you walk away from Hyde Park through Mayfair you'll probably see a fair bit as well. I saw a LaFerrari on Mount Street a few years ago (during the summer, which is the best time to look).

Kensington has Harrods and it's also renowned for being the area that most of the rich Arabs stay in when they come over during summer. It's actually called Supercar Season because they bring their cars with them, or rent some over here. Apparently some of the younger drivers like tearing about the place revving their engines, in Lamborghinis especially, and the noise became a proper nuisance to other residents.
Old 03 December 2018, 05:51 PM

I was following a Pontiac G8 GXP much of the way to work this morning. I knew the G8 wasn't a huge seller, like the revived GTO before it, but according to Wikipedia only 1,829 GXP models were sold making that the rarest version. It's the last of the [Pontiac] V8s.
Old 03 December 2018, 06:01 PM

There's an original Fiat 500 parked near my new head office. Somewhat memorable in itself, but this one is left-hand drive (to be fair, even overtaking the passenger probably wouldn't be stuck any further out into the road than the driver would be in most modern cars), and somebody has taken out the front passenger seat to leave a tiny driver's seat, and space for the passenger to sit in the back with their legs stretched out where the front seat would be - actually with enough legroom! With a small child behind the driver, it could almost be a practical family car for a couple with a small child, as long as the smaller of the two adults did all the driving...
Old 03 December 2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
somebody has taken out the front passenger seat to leave a tiny driver's seat, and space for the passenger to sit in the back with their legs stretched out where the front seat would be - actually with enough legroom!
Sounds like the owner was inspired by a Mexican VW taxi, where drivers would typically remove the front passenger seat so passengers could more easily access the back seat.
Old 12 December 2018, 12:25 PM

Driver

Saw a Subaru CrossFit this morning; in lieu of the model name on the back, there was this word: FUBAR. The font resembled the type you'd normally see on a car.
Old 12 December 2018, 04:42 PM

Last Saturday I saw an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quatrifolglio. The Alfa Romeo SUV/sports car crossover. I'd never seen one before. I was surprised to see an Alfa SUV, but from reading a little bit about it, it sounds like they put quite a bit of sports car in there.
Old 13 December 2018, 11:07 PM

Tantrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I was surprised to see an Alfa SUV, but from reading a little bit about it, it sounds like they put quite a bit of sports car in there.
Similar to the Porsche Cayenne, the Alfa "purists" despise it.
Old 13 December 2018, 11:38 PM

Yesterday, I saw a guy who looked like a ridiculous stereotype of a gangster walk out of a jewelry store and get into an old Cadillac that had a hydraulic system on its rear wheels that left them so low to the ground its rear bumper was almost on the ground.

It was very unusual for southern Oregon.
Old 14 December 2018, 12:02 AM

This morning I passed a car carrier hauling a bunch of old cars. We were heading in opposite directions, so I only got a brief glimpse at it, but one of them looked like something from the late 1930s or early 1940s. Maybe a 1940 Ford Deluxe based on what I remember of the grille.