snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 16 January 2018, 02:03 PM

Glasses

The city of Seattle's sugar tax. It's easy enough to avoid (go outside the boundaries of the cite [which isn't that hard] to buy your sweetened drink), but it's really annoying.

Oh, and none of the escalators in our building work, so my choices are to take the World's Slowest Elevator (tm) or climb 95 stairs (27 + 22 + 22 +24), which my hip can't take. Or combine the two, which is slower than either alone. This is probably an FWP, too, but it's really more an annoyance than a problem.

Seaboe

Seaboe
Old 16 January 2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I have a tipping annoyance as well. At the place where I get my hair cut you used to be able to add the tip if you used a debit or credit card. For some reason they've stopped doing that so I have to remember to have some cash on me when I go. I'm sure though what is a little annoyance for me is a big annoyance for the hairdressers who probably are missing out on tips because, let's face it, lots of people are like me nowadays and rarely have any "real" money on them.
We have run into the same thing with our stylist. However, they will also take a check made out to Cash, so that makes for a better option (taking a check rather than making sure you have cash).
Old 16 January 2018, 03:22 PM

My stylist uses one of those SquareSpace dongles to accept credit/debit card payments, and using my non-chip debit card with it has been such a pain that last time I just got cash and paid that way.
Old 16 January 2018, 03:28 PM

Bang Head

State and local politicians et al connecting the current governor to Trump. The two could not be further apart both in attitude and political views. I'd better get used to it though--it is an election year in this state.
Old 16 January 2018, 03:37 PM

It's an election year in every state this year - Congressional midterms are coming up. I wish we didn't have to deal with it for about 8 more months or so, but that ship has long since sailed.
Old 16 January 2018, 04:46 PM

A friend posted about Dolores O'Riordan's death and what it meant to her (my friend). One of her friends commented ". . . but I couldn't name a Cranberries song with a gun to my head." And another friend jumped in with a "me too."

Okay. You don't know who the Cranberries were, or who O'Riordan was. Maybe you don't care. But your friend knows, and she cares. In the post you're responding to, she talked about how much the band meant to her.

You could just scroll on by and say nothing, or you could offer generic words of sympathy. You could drag your lazy ass to Google and search if you really want to know who your friend is talking about (which I doubt).

Not knowing/caring about things other people know/care about does not magically make you a better person. It's not even an interesting factoid about you. If I ruled the world, every time someone posted online just to point out that they don't know/care about the subject at hand, their wifi would crash.
Old 16 January 2018, 06:22 PM

Icon84

Lainie--with a friend like that, your friend doesn't need any enemies. I just think that's cruel and belittling.

ETA: Zombie kicks ass! Love that song!
Old 16 January 2018, 07:41 PM

LTTAM: It seems like a significant percentage of the people who submit edits to IMDB don't know what the word "anachronism" means. The "goofs" section for every movie/show is categorized into subsections like anachronisms, continuity errors, crew/equipment visible, factual errors, etc. I've been noticing that many if not most of the things that are categorized as factual errors are actually anachronisms and really should have been categorized as such. The only explanation I can think of is that the people who submitted them don't know what that word means.
Old 16 January 2018, 07:55 PM

No, they really don't. Having been in the Society for Creative Anachronism for almost 30 years I have had to explain the word many many times.
Old 16 January 2018, 11:22 PM

IME, some people can't/won't/don't infer things from context. That's an observation, not a judgment, FTR.
Old 17 January 2018, 01:02 AM

Mouse

My brother convinced me to get into The Flash, so I've been watching it on Netflix. I'm making my way through season one, but good glob, it is just painful how everyone is such a dick towards Iris.

Yeah, Barry and co. can't let her in on this for her own protection, but they can tell everyone else around her. And even though it would probably benefit her to know about this stuff, seeing as she could be a valuable ally and if she knew she might be in danger, she could take measures to protect herself, clearly, the right and proper thing to do is to continue with all the gaslighting/emotional manipulation. I'm nearly at episode twenty and she's supposed to finally find out about all this, but still, I'm in danger of alienating everyone with my rants about the whole thing. I hope Iris does some curb-stomping to everyone when she finds out. Your call whether it should be literal or metaphorical curb-stomping, because everyone around her is just being awful to her.
Old 17 January 2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
At the place where I get my hair cut you used to be able to add the tip if you used a debit or credit card. For some reason they've stopped doing that so I have to remember to have some cash on me when I go.
A friend here who is a stylist told me this is done to avoid having to pay taxes on tips. Cash tips (or checks made out to cash) are harder to trace. Do you guys get taxed on tips in Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Next screen has 3 tip options: 20, 25 or 30%. No option to vary that at all.
That would make me really angry.
Old 17 January 2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
My brother convinced me to get into The Flash, so I've been watching it on Netflix. I'm making my way through season one, but good glob, it is just painful how everyone is such a dick towards Iris.
I don't remember who Iris is, but I quit watching during the second season: Zoom was too close to the Reverse Flash in that he's another evil speedster who's faster than Barry, but without the things that actually made Reverse Flash interesting. And everyone was just a jerk all the time.
Old 17 January 2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
A friend here who is a stylist told me this is done to avoid having to pay taxes on tips. Cash tips (or checks made out to cash) are harder to trace. Do you guys get taxed on tips in Canada?
Yes we do and I feel silly now for not having thought of this as a possible explanation! I guess if they can get their customers trained to pay with cash (or at least have enough cash on them for the tip) this will work in their favour but frankly I'm finding it enough of an annoyance that I may just find someplace else to style my 'do and it wouldn't surprise me if others feel the same way.
Old 17 January 2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
which my hip can't take. Or combine the two, which is slower than either alone. This is probably an FWP, too, but it's really more an annoyance than a problem.

Seaboe

Seaboe
God help you if you ever need to come to DC and use the subway system! Some of the escalators in/out of the stations are seriously long and may/may not be working on any given day.
Old 17 January 2018, 01:47 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
A friend here who is a stylist told me this is done to avoid having to pay taxes on tips.
Tips are income, and are supposed to be taxed as such. In some places, if you don't declare them, the taxing authority estimates what it believes you should've received and taxes you on that amount (which may be more than you actually got).

I usually tip on my card, but not always. I live in an area where servers are paid more than the federal minimum wage, and don't believe it's my responsibility to help you evade taxes (if that's why you prefer cash).

Seaboe
Old 17 January 2018, 04:01 PM

I try to tip in cash even if paying by card so that the server (or hair stylist, or whatever) gets the money right away. Some employers don't pay the tips to the servers until the employer receives it from the CC company and some (rightly or wrongly, IANAL) deduct fees from the tips paid by CC.
Old 17 January 2018, 04:27 PM

It is legal (at least by Federal law) for an employer to deduct the portion of credit card fees paid for the tip portion of a credit card charge. As to whether it is right, I would say no since employers are already paying the servers a very low wage. Also, tip skimming seems to be so common that I would not want to give employers another way to cheat servers. For example, they would calculate the tip withholding using the highest percentage of credit card fees that they pay. (IE, if Mastercard is 1.8%, Visa is 1.75% and American Express is 2.5%, the employer would deduct 2.5% of every tip no matter what card was used.) Plus, allowing such deductions could add a delay to the process of paying out tips to severs.

Another reason that servers may prefer cash tips is that they can more easily avoid unfair or excessive tip sharing rules.
Old 17 January 2018, 04:30 PM

Read This!

I find myself a bit angry at the folks here who seem to be in favor of lying to the government about tips so proper and legal taxes don't have to be paid.

BTW, depending on the establishment, tips may be pooled - so paying in cash may not make a difference in getting it to the employee, and it may be cheating other employees if the person who serves you pockets the tip instead of popping it in the pooled tip jar.
Old 17 January 2018, 04:36 PM

For servers not fully reporting cash tips, I feel the same way as I do about NCAA athletes quitting school early to sign with a pro team. When the system is set up to provide a number of way for a business to make lots of money while screwing you out of money you would have otherwise earned, it is not wrong for you to take opportunities to screw them back.