snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 26 August 2015, 01:19 PM

Default Shooter Kills TV News Reporter And Cameraman During A Live Broadcast In Virginia

The shooter opened fire on the WDBJ7 news crew while they were doing a live interview in the town of Moneta, Virginia. WARNING: This post contains graphic video.

Just horrific.
Old 26 August 2015, 04:01 PM

The shooter has been identified as a disgruntled ex-employee of the station and it's being reported that he shot himself after a police chase.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/law-...plaza/34923086
Old 26 August 2015, 04:19 PM

For other reasons, I am talking to local media people today. I heard about this first from the local newspaper editor. The TV news person pointed out that the news team were not at a crime scene and expressed shock, but also said that they worry about this sort of thing happening.
It seems that if the early reports are true, the crime revolves around the TV station: shooter and two victims were all employees. Makes it a workplace crime, it seems to me.
The shooter knew where they would be and did this live. Some reports say he posted something online as well.
I don't know if I should be shocked by all this, or not? Shootings are not uncommon after all.

Ali
Old 26 August 2015, 04:28 PM

The shooter also took video from his angle (which is cut off before he fires the gun) and was apparently tweeting about it afterwards but the acct is now suspended so can not confirm the last part. Supposedly one of the tweets mentioned the reporter he shot had made racist comments.

I've seen the liveleaks video (and yes at least one person is claiming it is part of Jade Helm already) and it looks legitimate. Not sure if I should post the link here or not.
Old 26 August 2015, 05:08 PM

There is currently a vid on youtube which shows the entire video that the shooter posted to his Facebook that someone managed to grab before his accounts were shut down. I won't post the link either but it's horrifying as you can hear what appears to be the cameraman yelling "OH MY GOD!" in the moments after he opens fire. The shooter seems to be using his phone to film and apparently drops it after the first few shots and while the screen goes black you can still hear the shots and the screaming.
Old 26 August 2015, 06:03 PM

Some details suggest that the gunman had been fired from the station and made an EEOC complaint naming the reporter and cameraman. Still doesn't explain the shooting of course. The station wasn't even the last one at which he worked.

Ali
Old 26 August 2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
I don't know if I should be shocked by all this, or not? Shootings are not uncommon after all.
Maybe that's what we should be shocked about: not this specific one, but that they're common.

A problem with that, of course, is that it's difficult to maintain shock at anything that's common.
Old 26 August 2015, 06:43 PM

The shooter has died of his injuries from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/law-...plaza/34923086
Old 26 August 2015, 10:48 PM

I watched the video in the OP and shouldn't have. It's going to take awhile to get the poor girl's screaming out of my head. She tried to run...I don't understand what drives someone to keep shooting at a desperate victim like that.
Old 26 August 2015, 11:30 PM

Further reports on the gunman say he was fired by the station in question in 2013 for multiple anger management issues, and that he has a long history of getting fired for them. In fact, one former manager said he was a very good on-air reporter and anchor. His problems stemmed from his anger issues.

Also, reports say that of the many complaints he's filed over the years, few of them have ever been sustained.

I saw both videos, the camera operator's, and the shooter's, and kind of wish I hadn't watched them now.
Old 26 August 2015, 11:58 PM

No

Virginia Shooting Gone Viral, in a Well-Planned Rollout on Social Media

Quote:
The killings appear to have been skillfully engineered for maximum distribution, and to sow maximum dread, over Twitter, Facebook and mobile phones. The video Mr. Flanagan shows is an up-close, first-person execution.
Old 27 August 2015, 12:09 AM

The writer came to the conclusion that we haven't seen the last of this, that there will be copycats.

Unfortunately, I think he's spot on.
Old 27 August 2015, 12:21 AM

I thought the same thing, that some sick individuals are going to get off on these. I know it's unstoppable now, but it's a shame, especially for the victims' families.
Old 27 August 2015, 06:55 PM

Does this qualify as the first example of a "selfie" murder? Copycats are inevitable.
Old 28 August 2015, 06:43 PM

The really scary part is there are people wishing to commit some bigger atrocity just because they might get more attention in the media.
Old 29 August 2015, 02:13 AM

The innocent words that became Alison Parker’s death sentence
Quote:
Trevor Fair, a 33-year-old cameraman at WDBJ for six years, said that the words Parker used are commonplace but that they would routinely set Flanagan off.
“We would say stuff like, ‘The reporter’s out in the field.’ And he would look at us and say, ‘What are you saying, cotton fields? That’s racist,’ ” Mr Fair recounted.
“We’d be like, ‘What?’ We all know what that means, but he took it as cotton fields, and therefore we’re all racists.”