snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 05 December 2014, 01:30 AM

Default Posting That Viral Facebook Copyright Notice Won’t Protect Your Data and Never Has

Facebook is revising its “terms and policies” on Jan. 1, and in an attempt to be transparent, the company keeps sending notifications to users to make sure everyone is aware of what’s happening. Most of the changes have to do with consolidating and simplifying Facebook’s terms of use so everything is easier to read and understand, which sounds positive. But ... people are starting to get agitated. And when Facebook users feel nervous, they share dumb stuff, like meaningless copyright protection notices...

As Snopes explains, “Facebook users cannot retroactively negate any of the privacy or copyright terms they agreed to when they signed up for their accounts, nor can they unilaterally alter or contradict any new privacy or copyright terms instituted by Facebook.”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te..._data_use.html

Nick
Old 05 January 2015, 06:58 PM

Facebook Don't copy and paste that 'Copyright' Facebook message

It's a frightful message and those worried that Facebook will own their photos or other media are posting it -- unaware that it is a hoax. Here's the truth: Facebook doesn't own your media and there is no such thing as the Berner Convention. (There is a Berne Convention!)

http://www.9news.com/story/tech/2015...sage/21283071/
Old 06 January 2015, 02:08 AM

Read This!

Yeah I've had this popping up on my FB feed a few times, sometimes from people who I really thought would have known better.

I just posted my own version:

Quote:
I do NOT give Santa Claus or any entitles associated with Santa Claus permission to use my Facebook pictures, information, or post, both from the past, in the present, or in the future to determine my 'naughty' or 'nice' status. By this statement I give notice to Santa's elves it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute or take any other action against me based on this profile's private and confidential information. NOTE: Christmas is now a public entity. All people must post a note like this. If you prefer, you can copy and paste this version if you do not publish the statement at least once it will be tactically allowing the use of your photos, as well as information contained in the profile status updates.
Old 06 January 2015, 10:54 AM

May I steal that?
Old 06 January 2015, 11:37 AM

Go for it, a bunch of my friends have already passed it on.