snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 25 April 2018, 07:57 PM

Cats certainly can be trained. M knows sit, down, and come and performs each reliably. Granted, he doesn't have nearly the repertoire B does, but I haven't asked him to learn much beyond the basics.

As far as the OP, I am a HUGE dog lover. I have spent the majority of my life in various dog pursuits, from conformation, to performance, to rescue. I am also appalled at the way many dog owners allow their dogs to act in public. And I'm not talking about dogs just pulled from a shelter or neglectful environment or who have come from really bad backgrounds. I am talking dogs who have been with their owners since puppyhood or early adulthood who have no reason to act as they do.

However, this dude comes off as a bit of a jerk, IMHO. He could easily make his point without being snobby and condescending about it.
Old 25 April 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
However, this dude comes off as a bit of a jerk, IMHO.
He comes across to me as somebody who is afraid of dogs.

This is another place where the comparison to letting your cat roam free diverges. While there are certainly people who are afraid and even phobic of cats, in my experience they are less common than people who are phobic of dogs. I think this is due to the fact that people are more likely to have had a traumatic experience with dogs than with cats. While cats are more likely to be left to their own devices by their human carers, they are less likely to jump at another human (either in aggression or in an attempt at friendliness).
Old 26 April 2018, 12:46 AM

I think a large part of why more people are afraid of dogs than cats has to do with the fact that the average dog is more likely to have the size and strength to cause significant harm to a human than the average cat.

That said, I'm wondering whether the differing ways we tend to view unattended cats versus unattended dogs is part of the cause of such phobias or a symptom of them.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:09 AM

I don't think I've ever had a cat I did not know come up to me in anything, but a completely benign, 'pet me' posture. That's definitely not true for dogs. In my experience there are far too many dog owners who are complete oblivious to how obnoxious their dogs are being.
Old 26 April 2018, 03:29 AM

I have once had a cat jump up on the lap of a visitor who was flat out terrified of cats. His intentions were entirely benign, yes; but she froze in terror until I removed the cat.

-- she had come to my house knowing there were cats there and hoping that a little exposure might reduce the fear; I think she just mostly hadn't been around any non-human animals at all. However she wasn't expecting to suddenly have fifteen pounds of feline on top of her.

I wasn't expecting it either -- with another cat I would probably have been watching out for an approach, but the one who landed on her was an extraordinarily shy cat. He was very friendly with two or three people in the world; but that's the only time I ever saw him approach a total stranger, let alone jump up on one.
Old 26 April 2018, 03:51 AM

Many cats do seem to have a knack for picking out the one person in the room who's phobic, allergic, or wearing black and getting all up in that person's business. But I agree unleashed dogs are more likely to jump on people, and more likely to hurt them.
Old 26 April 2018, 09:21 AM

I feel I could take out most domestic cats in a fight, a Doberman less so.
Old 26 April 2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
I dunno, cats are pretty quick!
Old 26 April 2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I dunno, cats are pretty quick!
Also, you'd need to see it coming.
The cat would probably come out at night and start chewing on your face...
Old 26 April 2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I expect you could take out the cat, especially if you weren't worried about hurting it; but if the cat were seriously fighting, I think you'd likely take quite a bit of damage in the process, especially if the cat took you by surprise.

I've been bitten and scratched a lot by cats in my life, in the ordinary sort of way that's probably what most people think of as being bitten or scratched by a cat. The cats were all holding back. I was, once in my life, bit by a cat who meant it: so I know the difference. One bite. I'm pretty sure his teeth met in the middle of my hand. I couldn't use the hand for some days, and I was told that, if he'd hit the tendon, I might not have had full use of it again at all.

The cat wasn't attacking me, exactly. He probably thought I was attacking him. He was a neighborhood wandering tom who had let me pat his ears before, and I picked him up intending to check his ribs to tell whether he was getting enough to eat. My best guess is that he had a wound I hadn't seen and I accidentally got my hand on it and hurt him. I dropped him the moment he bit me, and we both got out of there in opposite directions.
Old 26 April 2018, 02:10 PM

Deep cat bites are risky, especially on the extremities. I know two people, both snopesters (although not current posters) who experienced serious complications of deep cat bites to their hands/fingers. IIRC, one had to have two surgeries.

It makes me very glad that I called the nurse line for guidance when one of my cats sunk his teeth to the bone in my finger. It happened around 2 am, and my original plan was to go back to bed and call my doctor in the morning. Maybe that would have been just fine, but after speaking to the nurse it seemed like a bad idea to risk it.
Old 26 April 2018, 02:10 PM

Cats have a bit of a damage dealing problem. They just don't have the DPS to take on larger creatures unless they get a really solid critical hits. Nor can they tank like bigger dogs. ETA: Cats can hurt you, sure, but they'd have difficulty finishing you off before you got them.
Old 26 April 2018, 02:15 PM

Yep. No matter what damage a cat can inflict I'd still rather see a cat charging towards me than a Doberman .
Old 26 April 2018, 02:15 PM

That's why most cats prefer a rogue build with lots of attacks from stealth.
Old 26 April 2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
As far as the OP, I am a HUGE dog lover. I have spent the majority of my life in various dog pursuits, from conformation, to performance, to rescue. I am also appalled at the way many dog owners allow their dogs to act in public. And I'm not talking about dogs just pulled from a shelter or neglectful environment or who have come from really bad backgrounds. I am talking dogs who have been with their owners since puppyhood or early adulthood who have no reason to act as they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
He comes across to me as somebody who is afraid of dogs.

This is another place where the comparison to letting your cat roam free diverges. While there are certainly people who are afraid and even phobic of cats, in my experience they are less common than people who are phobic of dogs. I think this is due to the fact that people are more likely to have had a traumatic experience with dogs than with cats. While cats are more likely to be left to their own devices by their human carers, they are less likely to jump at another human (either in aggression or in an attempt at friendliness).
I'll admit I'm somewhat afraid of dogs.

I grew up in an era when there was no leash law in my town and had to deal with loose dogs on the way to school and back. So today if a loose dog starts barking at me or attacks me (and the owner's right there thinking it's cute) I will yell at the dog and give the owner a dirty look.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 26 April 2018, 05:27 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That's why most cats prefer a rogue build with lots of attacks from stealth.
Some cats go the bard way, and use their song to keep you up at night, making you and easier target for their cohort's attacks.
Old 26 April 2018, 05:48 PM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'll admit I'm somewhat afraid of dogs.

Bill

I've always assumed that not every one likes dogs in their face, as I previously mentioned, so I've always taught my dogs what I call jogger etiquette in which they have have to walk right next to me whenever we encounter a passer by. Once we're past the person, they can resume end of leash sniffing. I have gotten a ton of thank you!s over the years.
I just don't understand some of my fellow dog owners at times.
Old 26 April 2018, 06:31 PM

Even people who love dogs, and who don't think the dog intends to attack them, can get knocked down by a dog who jumps on them. Some people can get knocked down more easily than others, and some people's bones break more easily than others'.

For that matter, a dog may damage or muddy clothing by jumping on somebody. A cat could pull that off also; but a housecat actually knocking somebody down is unlikely -- at least, aside from the issue of tripping over one.

A reasonably sane cat isn't going to attack a human unless it thinks it's in serious danger with no other way to get out of it, exactly because the cat knows it would be at a disadvantage in such a fight; the size difference is too drastic. Some small dogs don't seem to understand about size differences, though. The only dog I've ever had seriously try to bite me was a very small dog who ran at me from behind and did his very best to sink his teeth into my leg. I had heavy work boots on, though, and he wasn't able to get through them.
Old 26 April 2018, 06:46 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I've always assumed that not every one likes dogs in their face,...
Ferdinand is not allowed to say "hello" to people (which usually involves sniffing their shoes) unless they have first indicated to me that they would like to pet the doggie (as you can tell, this usually occurs with people who are just learning to talk). He prefers to walk behind me; I'd think this was related to his failing eyesight, except that he's done it for as long as he's owned me.

I have a friend who was attacked by a small dog when she was young, and badly bitten. For years, her reaction to the presence of a small dog was to want to kill it. She certainly didn't want any dog to approach her--for one thing, she feared her self-control might fail and she really would kill one. She was very pleased when she finally stopped wanting to kill small dogs, and has, in fact, expressed interest in Ferdinand's adventures.

Seaboe
Old 26 April 2018, 07:45 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Many cats do seem to have a knack for picking out the one person in the room who's phobic, allergic, or wearing black and getting all up in that person's business.
My friend's Maine Coon (now passed away) never came out of the basement when there were visitors. Except me. He seemed to know that I have no idea what to do with a cat, since I was diagnosed as allergic at 3. Fortunately I am not as allergic as I used to be, but I don't have any cat skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Some small dogs don't seem to understand about size differences, though.
Walking in the park yesterday there were 3 women with approximately 5 little dogs, all with leashes, but loose. A woman walking with her dog (something similar to a yellow lab) and 2 of the little dogs ran towards her dog, barking their heads off, while dragging their leashes. (So they were on leashes, but the leashes weren't attached to anything else.)

She detached the leash from her dog, who stood quietly, and she herded the little dogs towards their owners, who had finally taken notice.

This was in Nice, France, and I have no idea what the rules are for dog ownership are in France, except it seems that leashes are always connected to a Julius K-9 harness. Here in Switzerland it is required that the owner takes the dog to obedience training and its tracked along with the licensing.

If all dogs behaved as the yellow lab, or the dogs here in Switzerland, then I doubt there would be so many problems between dog lovers and the rest of the world.

Unfortunately in Switzerland, the same people who decided dogs and their owners need training, decided that cats should be allowed to wander, because it's better for their health. Cats should be subject to the same rules as dogs. On a leash and the human at the other end has to pick up their crap.