snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 20 April 2018, 12:31 AM

Default Autism doctor Hans Asperger aided Nazi killings, study says

Quote:
An Austrian doctor who was one of the pioneers of autism research, and who lent his name to a common form of autism, played an active role in the Nazi regime during World War II, according to a new report based on previously unexamined documents and patient reports from era.

Dr. Hans Asperger "publicly legitimized race hygiene policies, including forced sterilizations" and "actively cooperated" with the Nazis' so-called child "euthanasia" program in which children with mental and physical disabilities were systematically killed, according to the research paper by Herwig Czech, a medical historian at the Medical University in Vienna.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...id=mailsignout

Well, that ought to get the term take out of public use rather quickly.
Old 20 April 2018, 05:21 AM

DSM-5 classifies the syndrome as Autism spectrum disorder.

(The word 'spectrum' - as in 'on the spectrum' - as it becomes more commonly used already seems these days to be leaning toward slightly dismissive if not mildly pejorative but I don't know if that or something else will lead to looking for a new term still.)
Old 20 April 2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
(The word 'spectrum' - as in 'on the spectrum' - as it becomes more commonly used already seems these days to be leaning toward slightly dismissive if not mildly pejorative
I disagree. I hear "on the spectrum" in discussions with other parents all of the time in it's intended use, and I NEVER have heard it as an insult to people. I can see it being used dismissively, or as an insult to parents looking for the "in"
diagnosis, but not towards the individuals who are on the Autism spectrum.

Yes, you hear some people being dismissive of Asperger's, the same way you hear people dismissive of ADD or ADHD. "We didn't have that when I was a kid!" Yes you did, it just wasn't diagnosed.
Old 20 April 2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Yes, you hear some people being dismissive of Asperger's, the same way you hear people dismissive of ADD or ADHD. "We didn't have that when I was a kid!" Yes you did, it just wasn't diagnosed.
Or it was incorrectly diagnosed, and the kids ended up on a mental or penal facility.
Old 20 April 2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
The journal report coincides with Edith Sheffer's upcoming book entitled Asperger's Children: The Origins of Autism in Nazi Vienna...
Why do I have a feeling that the mere title of this book will lead to a widespread conspiracy theory that autism is a Nazi plot?

Seriously, this is one of those things that is most difficult to grasp about the Nazi regime. That the leaders were evil, and that some fanatics and brutes willingly carried out their diabolical will, isn't so hard to believe. That many ordinary Germans either were unaware of the worst of the Nazi crimes, or were too fearful for their own safety to act, is also understandable. But the number of respectable, intelligent people who were actively complicit in implementing the policies is far larger than is easy to accept.
Old 20 April 2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
I disagree. I hear "on the spectrum" in discussions with other parents all of the time in it's intended use, and I NEVER have heard it as an insult to people.
Well, that's good news but I never said it is used as an insult.
Old 21 April 2018, 02:02 AM

Mouse

If nothing else, maybe this will mark the end of the term "aspie." I never liked that term. It's so goddanged cutesy and infantilizing.
Old 22 April 2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
If nothing else, maybe this will mark the end of the term "aspie." I never liked that term. It's so goddanged cutesy and infantilizing.
I don't like the term myself, but I've seen many people with autism use the term to describe themselves.
Old 23 April 2018, 02:53 AM

Mouse

I respect peoples’ right to use whatever term they feel comfortable with, but I have every right to gripe about it.
Old 23 April 2018, 03:16 AM

Maybe we have different definitions of “respect,” but for me it doesn’t include calling someone’s self ascribed terminology “goddanged cutsie and infantilizing.”

There are gentler ways to communicate that the nickname makes you uncomfortable.
Old 23 April 2018, 05:07 AM

Respecting a right to say something and respecting the thing said are different things. You can respect Alex Jones' right to say things and still mock what he says.

PS. Not to equate Mouse with Jones. Even a plague-flea carrying mouse shouldn't be compared to Jones.
Old 23 April 2018, 10:18 PM

That’s true, I suppose. Respecting a right is differant than respecting a person.

But I’m still not a fan. Some individuals with spectrum disorders already struggle to fit in socially. Being derisive about the nickname they chose for themselves is less than helpful.

“Maybe if I call myself ‘aspie’ people will feel more at ease.”

“That’s goddanged cutsie and infantilizing!”

“Oh.”

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 23 April 2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 24 April 2018, 05:05 AM

I never chose to call myself an Aspie. I got saddled with it after I was diagnosed.
Old 24 April 2018, 05:29 AM

That’s not fair, either, imo, not if you feel saddled. I wouldn’t call someone that unless we were close and I knew they preferred it.
Old 24 April 2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Well, that's good news but I never said it is used as an insult.
Sure you did - you said it was being used as a pejorative, basically saying it was being used as dismissive or derogatory - an insult.
Old 25 April 2018, 11:36 AM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
I wouldn’t call someone that unless we were close ...

DH is disabled and I sometimes call him 'cripple', but he knows where it's coming from and doesn't mind it. He calls my anti-depressants 'anti-weirdo pills'. But we're married, so we both know the other is kidding. Would I call someone else a 'cripple'? Good lord no!

You're absolutely right: DH and I can call each other names that would be hurtful if we used them to refer to someone else (which, of course, we would never do).
Old 26 April 2018, 01:22 AM

Mouse

Goddangit, did I basically play the part of Eris in this thread, throwing the golden apple that gets everybody fighting? Apparently I did. I'll let you all debate amongst yourselves who plays Aphrodite, who plays Athena, and who plays Hera and all the other characters in that myth.

I suppose I should clarify things a little. Maybe then I'll stop headdesking and being like "How did you people get that from that?"

I am well aware that I have a tendency to shoot my mouth off, a tendency that will likely be the cause of my death, I am not completely tactless. I personally don't like the term, Aspie, but if it helps someone else to refer to themselves that way, I will keep my damn mouth shut about it. I am aware that people have different needs/experiences from me and therefore, their thoughts and opinions are not identical to mine.

I was just stating my opinion of the term, which is that I don't like it.

:sighs: Well, now that I'm done (for now) with being Eris, I'll bring up something that while it may be completely and totally off-topic, it nevertheless contains vital information we could all benefit from knowing: A Satisfying Resolution to the Four Chris Debate
Old 26 April 2018, 11:05 AM

We weren't really fighting with or upset with you, just sharing our own opinions on the term. As with many things snopes it often involves delineating just exactly how we interpret a popular turn of phrase (in this case your comment aobut respect).
Old 26 April 2018, 05:58 PM

Icon106

Sock it to me! Sock it to me! Sock it to me! Re! Re! Re! Just a little bit...

You're welcome!