snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 April 2018, 02:15 PM

Glasses

High threadcount sheet numbers are a scam. Anything higher than 300 has been padded.

Seaboe
Old 24 April 2018, 01:10 PM

D'oh!

I overslept this morning, but thankfully got to work on time! I had to eat breakfast at work though.
Old 25 April 2018, 11:37 AM

D'oh!

I forgot to put a watch on this morning.

ETA: I just read Seaboe's link and it occurs to me that sheet manufacturers could use a better quality cotton instead of taking a bunch of cheap cotton and twisting it around itself. The former sounds cheaper in the long run.
Old 25 April 2018, 02:23 PM

Glasses

Dawn,
All threads are composed of plies. A single ply, no matter how good the fiber used, is going to be weaker than multiple plies. See this post explaining why rope is strong.

What the scammers are doing is counting each individual ply as a separate thread. So a 3-ply thread (pretty standard) is counted as three threads, and a weave that has 150 threads in each direction is counted as having a 900 thread count (when it really only has 300).

Seaboe
Old 25 April 2018, 07:58 PM

Apparently, my peanut butter has already been packed. I had to have I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on my toast this morning.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:58 PM

Glasses

When's the move, smittykins? This weekend?

Seaboe
Old 26 April 2018, 04:29 PM

Yes, I sign the lease later today.
Old 26 April 2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Apparently, my peanut butter has already been packed. I had to have I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on my toast this morning.
You know, I read this as meaning that you had homemade peanut butter, and someone packed it into a jar before you had the chance to. Never even occurred to me that it had been packed away for purposes of moving.

On a recent flight, the security guy told me to remove any tablets from my carry-on. So I pulled out my medicine containers.
Old 26 April 2018, 05:32 PM

Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post

On a recent flight, the security guy told me to remove any tablets from my carry-on. So I pulled out my medicine containers.
Rim-shot.
He'll be here 'til Sunday folks! Tell your friends!
Old 26 April 2018, 07:48 PM

My FWP is people who take it upon themselves to tell you that the problem you are dealing with is a FWP. It's one thing to decide this for ourselves, to acknowledge that no matter how annoying the problem there are, of course, bigger issues out in the world at large. It's a whole 'nother thing to have someone else so cavalierly dismiss your problem as being trivial.
Old 27 April 2018, 03:34 AM

Mouse

I was excited when I found out a library had a book I liked, but when I went to pick it up, I wasn't able to get it. I checked for days, seeing if it came in while I was in the area, but days later, it still hadn't come in, even though the book was due on the 23rd.
Old 27 April 2018, 12:25 PM

Does your library not allow you to place reserves on books?
Old 29 April 2018, 04:51 PM

United Kingdom

I can't decide if getting the opportunity to watch classic Doctor Who is worth a BritBox subscription.
Old 29 April 2018, 09:04 PM

Clearasil discontinued the facial cleanser I've been using since I was in college at least, maybe longer, and I don't like the product they replaced it with. I'm not sure if I actually need an acne preventing face wash anymore, although I do occasionally still get breakouts. I mostly kept using it out of habit. Either way I have to find something new to wash my face with.
Old 30 April 2018, 03:10 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Does your library not allow you to place reserves on books?
I used to live closer to the library in question and drive up there practically every month, but weve moved. Now going there means a nearly three-hour drive, making it so Im lucky if I get to go every couple of months. :sighs: Its a shame, because it really is a great library with a massive collection. Every time I go there, I fight the urge to move in and live there like some variation on the Phantom of the Opera.
Old 30 April 2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Clearasil discontinued the facial cleanser I've been using since I was in college at least, maybe longer, and I don't like the product they replaced it with. I'm not sure if I actually need an acne preventing face wash anymore, although I do occasionally still get breakouts. I mostly kept using it out of habit. Either way I have to find something new to wash my face with.
I hate when this happens, as I'm very averse to change in my personal life especially when it wasn't by my own choice. It's very hard to find replacements for things and I usually end up resigning myself to something that's close enough... or completely different and I have to change another part of my routine as well.

My FWP on a similar note- The manufacturer for my birth control pills changed again. I was happy on my most recent one, and it also just came in a cardboard envelope so aside from the plastic the pills are bubbled into, most of the package is recyclable. Now the new one has gone back to having plastic sleeves that I guess are for people who carry their BC with them and want a little privacy, but useless for folks like me that just keep it on their nightstand and don't really care. Now I'm going to start amassing plastic sleeves again, AND I also now have to play the game of "Is this pill good or bad for me?" for a few months while I discover the exciting physiological ways it is or is not like the preceding pill.
Old 30 April 2018, 11:46 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Every time I go there, I fight the urge to move in and live there like some variation on the Phantom of the Opera.
I say go for it.
Old 30 April 2018, 03:52 PM

Rabbit

Quote:
I used to live closer to the library in question and drive up there practically every month, but weve moved. Now going there means a nearly three-hour drive, making it so Im lucky if I get to go every couple of months. :sighs: Its a shame, because it really is a great library with a massive collection. Every time I go there, I fight the urge to move in and live there like some variation on the Phantom of the Opera.
Do you have a closer library that can get you the materials through interlibrary loan?
Old 30 April 2018, 05:23 PM

Icon104

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I say go for it.
She'd have to communicate through interpretative dance rather than opera, though...
It IS a library after all.
Old 01 May 2018, 12:15 AM

I bought a book via eBay and when it came it was a) hardcover (I prefer softcovers because they're easier to read lying in bed) and b) stank strongly of cigarette smoke. The smell is so bad that I have to hold the book away from my face when I read it and I have to wash my hands afterwards because the stink rubs off onto my fingers.

I could just order another copy but I want to read the book now and I can't be bothered waiting a week or so for a fresh copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I hate when this happens, as I'm very averse to change in my personal life especially when it wasn't by my own choice. It's very hard to find replacements for things and I usually end up resigning myself to something that's close enough... or completely different and I have to change another part of my routine as well.
The supermarkets closest to my house stopped stocking certain varieties of my cat's favourite tinned cat food but there's one across town that still sells them so I'll stock up on them if I'm in the area but otherwise she has to put up with her second favourite varieties. If my cat was capable of empathy she'd empathize with you.