snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 21 October 2016, 06:32 PM

Computer U.S. internet disrupted as firm gets hit by cyberattack

Twitter experienced renewed outages Friday afternoon following hours of internet disruption that took down numerous sites earlier in the morning across the U.S. East Coast.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/internet...s-cyberattack/
Old 21 October 2016, 07:17 PM

I couldn't get at another forum I sometimes read; that may well have been why. (It's back up today.)

Everywhere else I went seemed to be working; though that doesn't include any of the sites the article named.
Old 21 October 2016, 08:56 PM

Probably the Donald's fault. (not the duck)
Old 26 October 2016, 11:06 PM

Computer

I listened to a radio interview of a Justin Fier from Darktrace, an internet security firm about this. He said what set this denial of service attack apart from others wasn't the fact that it happened. They've been happening for a long time, but what the attackers used. He said the main tool was periphery devices connected to the internet, including smart TVs, thermostats, DVD/BlueRay players, security cameras, router devices, printers, etc. Even newer refrigerators are connected to the internet.

When's the last time you updated the software on your wifi router? Yeah, me neither. On Sunday, software updates arrived for both my TV and my BlueRay player. They usually take about 30 minutes to download and install. The TV is unusable during this process, and I've deferred doing it in the past. No longer.

Here's a link for a podcast of the interview. It's on the podcasts for Monday.

He says this was a new angle, one that really hadn't been considered before. He says it's something we're going to see on a more frequent bases, and we'd better start figuring out what to do about it.
Old 27 October 2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
He says this was a new angle, one that really hadn't been considered before. He says it's something we're going to see on a more frequent bases, and we'd better start figuring out what to do about it.
Sounds like the problem may have already been fixed. The fact that a bunch of devices that weren't previously getting updates are starting to get updates might be all it takes.

Kind of like the 9/11 attack. The vulnerability that was exploited ceased being a vulnerability before the attack was even over.

Still, kind of odd to think that smart refrigerators can be used as weapons of war.
Old 27 October 2016, 01:57 AM

Well, of course they can! It's the new "cold war"!

~Psihala
Old 27 October 2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
He says this was a new angle, one that really hadn't been considered before.
I'm not at all sure that's true. I've seen and heard jokes about hacked IOT devices since I first saw or heard about IOT devices.
Old 27 October 2016, 03:05 PM

I think the use of IOT devices for a DDOS attack is what's new.
Old 28 October 2016, 02:55 AM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That's exactly the point Mr Fier was making in the interview. Further, he didn't sound very optimistic that this problem would be solved by a few software updates.
Old 28 October 2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
A Google search with the date range set to block anything published this year will give you 10+ pages of results, including several articles about IOT botnets being used for DDOS attacks in 2013, and YouTube videos advertising source code for building DDOS botnets out of IOT devices which were posted in 2012. It's not a new idea.