snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 27 January 2013, 08:47 PM

So, reading the actual content of those links, although a few did indeed make the claim, the inevitability of her nomination was very strongly contested.
Old 27 January 2013, 11:35 PM

You asked "who said that?". Links were provided showing that people were indeed saying that. I don't think anyone here claimed that there was universal agreement.

Today, there is not universal agreement that Hillary is a lock for 2016. That doesn't mean that people aren't saying she's a lock for 2016.
Old 27 January 2013, 11:52 PM

Sure, that's fine. It's just that the links don't actually say that.

From the second link:
Quote:
Mrs. Clinton is the most formidable front-runner to come along since Mr. Mondale. But the example of his campaign proves anything, itís how quickly and thoroughly Mrs. Clintonís campaign can still unravel.
The third link concludes:
Quote:
But it's too early to pick a presidential candidate and way too early to try to dictate who should be a party's presidential nominee.
Even the first one, which makes the strongest case of the three (the other two are saying pretty much the opposite), is updated with this disclaimer:
Quote:
"Inevitable" is my word, not Mark Penn's, which is why I wrote he had "strongly implied" inevitability. I've taken the quote marks off the words incumbent and inevitable above to make that clearer.
I'm not saying no one was saying that but the question remains: Who did?
Old 27 January 2013, 11:54 PM

Well, clearly the person who wrote the first article, for one.
Old 28 January 2013, 01:55 AM

No, I don't see where he makes that claim. The title, as his update explains, is based on his interpretation of a memo from the Clinton camp, a memo which (the update explains) did not make the claim of inevitability. The first writer gives many many points for why he considers her campaign strong but, as far as I can tell, does not make the claim that her nomination is inevitable.
Old 28 January 2013, 01:57 AM

Oh, ok, you got me. I made the whole thing up. No one at any time prior to the 2008 election ever said that Hillary Clinton was sure to be nominated. No one ever said it was inevitable.
Old 28 January 2013, 02:00 AM

Well, what you've shown so far is that Penn, her strategist, may have implied it, by one blogger's interpretation.
Old 28 January 2013, 02:02 AM

Nobody is saying you made it up - we are just asking for definitive citation is all.
Old 28 January 2013, 02:05 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_105386.html
Old 28 January 2013, 02:24 AM

I hesitate to ask this because, honestly, I don't want to offend and you seem to think I'm attacking you. But, given the previous 3 links, did you watch the show or do you want us to assume from the blurb that it has quotes of people making the claim.
Old 28 January 2013, 02:49 AM

I'm not even sure what you're asking.

ETA: And I don't think you're attacking me, it's just flabbergasting to me that anyone who was alive and following US politics in 2007 doesn't remember the media's mad rush to crown Hillary the winner of the Dem primary. It was discussed numerous times on this very board.

ETA2: Here's the entire segment: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...-makes-history
Old 28 January 2013, 04:40 AM

I was just asking: Did you watch the clip?

That's two new claims, though: 'The media' made a 'mad rush' to 'crown' Hillary and it was discussed on this board. OK.
Old 04 July 2014, 02:54 AM

Icon07 Hillary down in the dumps: Is Clinton about to drop out of 2016 race?

Hillary has become increasingly frustrated -- and even despondent -- over the disastrous publicity rollout of her memoir and her stumbling performance in some of her interviews for the book.

She has begun to question whether she wants to continue to run the tormenting media gauntlet that will be required of her if she throws her hat in the ring for the White House.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...out-2016-race/
Old 04 July 2014, 09:23 PM

I don't know how reliable Edward Klein is, but that whole article read like an over-dramatized scene from a biopic. Given the source (Fox Opinion) I'm keeping the salt handy.
Old 04 July 2014, 09:49 PM

Not very reliable from what I've been able to glean. He's a hack "writer" who constantly relies on "un-named sources" who seem to be privy to the most private of conversations heck these "sources" even seem to be able to read thoughts. The small excerpts of his works that I've seen read like overwrought romance fiction.

I don't know how much stock you put into Media Matters, but they have some interesting stuff about him, and some of his literary endeavors. Here
Old 06 July 2014, 10:04 AM

What she should be frustrated about, at this point, is how badly progressives want an alternative to her (Elizabeth Warren is probably the most common name tossed out, but she has shown no sign of willingness to run.) If a clear alternative does emerge, she could be in real trouble.

I see I said earlier in this thread that I doubted Santorum would get the GOP nod. I'm not sure if I agree with that anymore - no bigger names have emerged, and he probably still has the strongest claim to the "it's my turn" mantle unless Romney runs again (which I doubt).
Old 06 July 2014, 01:30 PM

I keep thinking that Santorum could never hope to win the general election, and then doubting myself, which is scary.
Old 06 July 2014, 01:54 PM

My dad is saying that Jeb Bush is the one who's got the connections and moneymaking needed to get the nomination.

I should also point out that my dad thinks that W was a decent president so I'm pretty sure he's badly underestimating just how toxic the Bush name is considered right now.
Old 07 July 2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I keep thinking that Santorum could never hope to win the general election, and then doubting myself, which is scary.
Me too. I'm nearly sure he's just too extreme for even the mainstream media to whitewash like they did with Bush, but then I remember I never imagined they'd get away with it with Bush either.