snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 18 March 2014, 10:41 PM

I've not raised children of my own, but it has always seemed to me that boys have it so much harder when it comes to the rigidity the gender roles. I remember liking Robin Hood and cowboys back in the day, and while I had one kindergarden teacher tell me that these stories weren't appropriate for girls, it seems that the boys thought it was cool that I enjoyed a boy's hero, and the girls didn't seem to care since I equally liked dolls and teddy bears.

Watching the kids at school these days, it seems to be the same. A girl can like Cars or Spiderman, but no boy should confess to liking Ponies or My Little Pet Shop. And it stays that way right through to adulthood. ("Chick flicks", anyone?)
Old 18 March 2014, 10:48 PM

I think that it is harder but on the other hand we own everything.
Old 18 March 2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
My oldest was bullied in grade school. The teacher told ALL of the students to write on one sheet of paper who was being bullied, and on another sheet of paper who the bullies were. Every single sheet, except for 4, had the same 4 kids listed as the bullies. As my (now much older son) says "I was bullied by 4 kids in grade school. One got counseling in grade school; the other three have all got jail time."

Ask the kids. They know who the bullies are.
I dunno about that. If a teacher had asked me in school who the bullies were, I would have most likely not pointed her to the real bullies, and pointed her to kids who were least likely to try to hurt me.
Old 18 March 2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
I think that it is harder but on the other hand we own everything.
Yeah, there's that. Plus there is that thing where a girl may feel she has to show an interest in whatever a boy may be watching or doing, as a way to get a boy's approval... OK, I'm taking back my sympathy.
Old 19 March 2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
I dunno about that. If a teacher had asked me in school who the bullies were, I would have most likely not pointed her to the real bullies, and pointed her to kids who were least likely to try to hurt me.
Even when it was being done anonymously and when every child in the class is providing answers? I think that the way this teacher handled things was actually a good way to try and get names named without their being repercussions for the bullied child later.
Old 19 March 2014, 01:43 AM

I'm gong to say that story sounds like BS. I don't think you could get 20 kids to independently write down the same four things you've written on the board much less the names of four bullys. I doubt there was enough to ensure true anonymity, and even then some kids wouldn't trust it. Some kids would be smart enough to know that the bullys would know who wrote down their names.

I also wouldn't be too proud of the story that three of those boys went to jail, which btw way sounds apocryphal. If it is all true, I would not at all be surprised if the result of the teachers bully pole pushed them in that direction, especially in a community small enough for a kid to keep up with four classmates he didn't like from grade school to adulthood.
Old 19 March 2014, 03:30 AM

The kid who was the lead bully at my grade school spent some time in jail. Treating people like crap doesn't necessarily stop when you graduate.

I was just reading Grayson's Facebook page. He's getting all sorts of cool Pony swag and calls from Tara Strong and Lauren Faust. You go kid!
Old 19 March 2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I'm gong to say that story sounds like BS. I don't think you could get 20 kids to independently write down the same four things you've written on the board much less the names of four bullys. I doubt there was enough to ensure true anonymity, and even then some kids wouldn't trust it. Some kids would be smart enough to know that the bullys would know who wrote down their names.
You will not get everyone to write down the same name, but you may get a few kids with their names disproportionately high on the list. It would be these few that need watching. On the other hand if a large group is doing the bulling it may be the kid that is being bullied that shows abnormally high amount of times.
Old 19 March 2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post

I also wouldn't be too proud of the story that three of those boys went to jail, which btw way sounds apocryphal. If it is all true, I would not at all be surprised if the result of the teachers bully pole pushed them in that direction, especially in a community small enough for a kid to keep up with four classmates he didn't like from grade school to adulthood.
Call it what you will. This is a Catholic grade school; small class; not exactly a huge metropolis. One kid got counseling. Of the other three, I know that two have been arrested (one for multiple breaking and enterings; the other for bar fights) - I'm taking my son's word on the third one.
Old 19 March 2014, 09:32 PM

Australia

I would note that not all bullying dynamics are the same. They vary from class to class and situation to situation. In some schools/classes there's a whole culture of bullying and a hierarchy with the majority of kids involved in bullying one or two kids to some degree. In others there can be just a small well defined group who the majority fears. In the latter case I can see Dr WOB's story being pretty accurate.

Dropbear
Old 21 March 2014, 01:54 PM

The school has reconsidered...

Quote:
A North Carolina school district said Thursday it now supports a bullied 9-year-old in bringing his “My Little Pony” backpack to school after he was previously told to leave it at home.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...bag-to-campus/
Old 24 March 2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
However, my son will be entering public schools next year, and I am tempted to urge him to just leave any Pony stuff he has at home, since...damn, getting bullied sucks.
OTOH, bullies will find (or, in a pinch, invent) things to pick on even if you do eliminate the most obvious targets. Not that I disagree with you here - I don't - but it's the sort of thing that makes me wonder if it's even really worth the effort.
Old 24 March 2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Wow. Glen Beck managed to blame Obama in one step. (Common Core is trying to make everyone the same, and Grayson should tell them to go pound sand).

The school's apology was a little bit of a non-apology, but at least things are moving in the right direction.
Old 24 March 2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Wow. Glen Beck managed to blame Obama in one step. (Common Core is trying to make everyone the same, and Grayson should tell them to go pound sand).
What!? I read the article and did not find Obama mentioned at all. Is it is the video?
Old 24 March 2014, 07:39 PM

It's in the parenthetical that you quoted. He blamed it on Common Core curriculum, which is a way of blaming Obama. It's also a huge non-sequitur.