snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23 June 2011, 06:10 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,633
Jaded Experts

People -- even the experts -- make mistakes, and some of these mistakes are beauties.

Here's one: how would you like to have been the president of the Michigan bank who advised Henry Ford's lawyer not to invest in the new motor company? Yes, it happened. The banker said, "The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty."

Here's another expert opinion that was wrong. Did you know the actor Gary Cooper turned down the role of Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind? He said that movie "is going to be the biggest flop in Hollywood history."

It's pretty obvious. You can't believe the experts all the time. Even the smartest among them make mistakes.

So, if you happen to be one of those folks who is looking for somebody you can trust, I encourage you to take a look at the Triune God. When human experts let you down, He is the One who will always know what He's talking about.

His opinion can always be trusted.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23 June 2011, 06:39 PM
Mickey Blue's Avatar
Mickey Blue Mickey Blue is offline
 
Join Date: 01 February 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,571
Default

So all those mistakes in the bible are.. What then? Plus God lets people down all the time every single day. Ever lost a loved one? Ever known something bad to happen to a good person? Now maybe this is all part of a divine plan but you can still be bummed out about it.

Plus the whole thing with God being a selfish, childish, evil, monster per the majority of religious people I've met (basically if you believe in Hell, and anybody ever goes there, then God is evil).

ETA: However even if we leave aside my anti-God rant.. If God shows up and tells somebody, to their face, that something is a good or bad idea, I recommend they go for it.. However the problem isn't so much is God all knowing but how do you get that information, cause I am 100% certain that many of the people who speak for him are wrong on a very regular basis.

-MB
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23 June 2011, 06:50 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,962
Default

If someone claiming to be G*d showed up and told me what to do, and I was sure it wasn't a hallucination, my next question would be, "How do I know you're God and not that other guy?"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23 June 2011, 07:00 PM
Simply Madeline's Avatar
Simply Madeline Simply Madeline is offline
 
Join Date: 15 October 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,525
Default

Quote:
Here's one: how would you like to have been the president of the Michigan bank who advised Henry Ford's lawyer not to invest in the new motor company? Yes, it happened. The banker said, "The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty."
Bankers are experts on transportation?

Quote:
Here's another expert opinion that was wrong. Did you know the actor Gary Cooper turned down the role of Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind? He said that movie "is going to be the biggest flop in Hollywood history."
And maybe it would have been with Gary Cooper in the Rhett Butler role...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23 June 2011, 07:17 PM
Alarm's Avatar
Alarm Alarm is offline
 
Join Date: 26 May 2011
Location: Nepean, ON
Posts: 5,278
Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
If someone claiming to be G*d showed up and told me what to do, and I was sure it wasn't a hallucination, my next question would be, "How do I know you're God and not that other guy?"
Because that would be heresy: believing that The Other Guy has as much power as The Three Who Are One (cue suitable Moorcock quotes here)

That heresy has a name, but I can't seem to remember what it is.

Last edited by Alarm; 23 June 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: things meant to be funny look better with funny smilies
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23 June 2011, 07:20 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,962
Default

How does his showing up, pretending to be God, and telling me what to do imply that he has as much power as God, or that I believe he does? Surely you're not suggesting that I tell God to prove he's God by a show of power. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to challenge God that way.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23 June 2011, 07:30 PM
Alarm's Avatar
Alarm Alarm is offline
 
Join Date: 26 May 2011
Location: Nepean, ON
Posts: 5,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
How does his showing up, pretending to be God, and telling me what to do imply that he has as much power as God, or that I believe he does? Surely you're not suggesting that I tell God to prove he's God by a show of power. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to challenge God that way.

Strangely, I failed a Philosophy class for suggesting that very same thing to a teacher who was trying to teach us Pascal's Wager

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23 June 2011, 07:41 PM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,796
Default

Standard anti-intellectual horse piddle. "Here's an an apocryphal story about a so-called expert that was wrong about something totally unrelated to his field of expertise, therefore my unsupported mystical belief system is true."

It's amazing how much religious apologetics from random glurge to high level theology basically boil down to "Somebody smart was wrong about something once, therefore God exists."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24 June 2011, 04:57 PM
DawnStorm's Avatar
DawnStorm DawnStorm is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2003
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 15,854
Icon06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Plus God lets people down all the time every single day. Ever lost a loved one? Ever known something bad to happen to a good person? Now maybe this is all part of a divine plan but you can still be bummed out about it.


-MB

Tell me about it.

Dawn--at least the glurge didn't include the 'amateurs built the ark, experts built the Titanic' line--Storm
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24 June 2011, 05:04 PM
Photo Bob's Avatar
Photo Bob Photo Bob is offline
 
Join Date: 08 February 2008
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 2,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
And maybe it would have been with Gary Cooper in the Rhett Butler role...
That is my thought whenever I see one of those, "you won't believe who turned down the role of _____ in _____ features. The movie could have been completely different with that person in it. This works both ways. Maybe a flop would have been good if someone else had played the lead.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Photo "Did you know that Andy Kaufman turned down the role of 'The Terminator'? What a dope." Bob
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24 June 2011, 05:10 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 24,979
Default

Also, Gone With the Wind was rewritten over and over again. There was even a new director and rewrite after filming had begun. It could very well be that the script that Cooper read would have been a huge flop.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28 June 2011, 06:11 PM
dewey dewey is offline
 
Join Date: 12 October 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Bankers are experts on transportation?
I work with bankers every day and they aren't even experts on banking.

dewey
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29 June 2011, 12:56 PM
Skeptic's Avatar
Skeptic Skeptic is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2005
Location: Logan, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Standard anti-intellectual horse piddle. "Here's an an apocryphal story about a so-called expert that was wrong about something totally unrelated to his field of expertise, therefore my unsupported mystical belief system is true."
This is the standard way that people like Uri Geller work. They get scientist such as NASA guys to say they can't understand his powers, but any two-bit magician can see through the trick.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29 June 2011, 12:59 PM
Cyrano's Avatar
Cyrano Cyrano is offline
 
Join Date: 01 September 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
That heresy has a name, but I can't seem to remember what it is.
Manichaeism. But it was a religion, not a heresy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29 June 2011, 01:04 PM
Cyrano's Avatar
Cyrano Cyrano is offline
 
Join Date: 01 September 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
It's pretty obvious. You can't believe the experts all the time. Even the smartest among them make mistakes.
Yep, just ask Rev. Camping, expert biblical scholar.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29 June 2011, 01:36 PM
RivkahChaya's Avatar
RivkahChaya RivkahChaya is offline
 
Join Date: 14 July 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 12,275
Default

I question the veracity of the "Gary Cooper in GWTW," anyway. Producer David Selznick bought the rights to the book almost as soon as it was published, and then had a writers begin working on a script, which he began peddling to different studios. He struck a deal with MGM, that included Clark Gable in the role of Rhett Butler. Gable was a contact player for MGM, which meant he pretty much did the roles he was told to do. Cooper, on the other hand, worked for Paramount. Now that doesn't mean that when Selznick was taking the script around to studios, he didn't go to Paramount and pitch the idea, with the suggestion that Cooper play Rhett Butler, and someone asked Cooper's opinion, or that Cooper made some comment along those lines after learning that MGM was doing the film, and Gable was playing the role.

But as a contract player, Cooper would have had difficulty wiggling out of the role if he'd been ordered to play it, if Paramount had made the film.

Studios sometimes contracted out actors, but I don't think there was ever talk of MGM borrowing Cooper-- I've always heard that Gable in the role was part of the original deal to make the film in the first place.

Anyway, the film was predicted by a lot of people to fail. In spite of the book's popularity, people didn't think anyone wanted to see a war film during the Depression, much less a Civil War film, and really long films were out of fashion, because the matinee program, with the cartoon, newsreel, short, and feature, for the whole family, was in vogue. Long films were something people did back in the silent era, when films weren't considered suitable entertainment for children, because there were no standards governing content (ie, the Hays code), and kids couldn't read the intertitles anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29 June 2011, 07:16 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 11,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
This is the standard way that people like Uri Geller work. They get scientist such as NASA guys to say they can't understand his powers, but any two-bit magician can see through the trick.
And often they aren't even getting a NASA guy to say that they don't understand his powers, the scientist says something about how there's no scientific way for such powers to work and then the con artist chops off the part where the scientist says he's faking it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08 July 2011, 03:51 AM
TrishDaDish's Avatar
TrishDaDish TrishDaDish is offline
 
Join Date: 22 February 2004
Location: Portsmouth, RI
Posts: 7,751
Default

Quote:
So, if you happen to be one of those folks who is looking for somebody you can trust, I encourage you to take a look at the Triune God. When human experts let you down, He is the One who will always know what He's talking about. His opinion can always be trusted.
But living in a state of free will, we can always pass on what God tells us to do. Which happens quite regularly with the human race. And don't be afraid to speak up to God, and say His judgement might be wrong. Moses did, and kept God from wiping out the Isrealites.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08 July 2011, 06:11 PM
Jay Temple's Avatar
Jay Temple Jay Temple is offline
 
Join Date: 25 September 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 9,104
Default

Comparing Mrs. Temple (experts' choice) to the Template's biomom (God's presumptive choice) does not fill me with confidence in the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 25 July 2011, 07:45 PM
TrishDaDish's Avatar
TrishDaDish TrishDaDish is offline
 
Join Date: 22 February 2004
Location: Portsmouth, RI
Posts: 7,751
Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
If someone claiming to be G*d showed up and told me what to do, and I was sure it wasn't a hallucination, my next question would be, "How do I know you're God and not that other guy?"
And why do you need a starship?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Golda Meir on when to sack experts yobbo Questionable Quotes 7 18 May 2010 01:43 AM
Experts Cry Wolf Over 'Faked' Wildlife Pic snopes Fauxtography 17 25 January 2010 04:30 PM
Forensic experts at Manson site snopes Crime 20 22 May 2008 12:33 AM
Black Death did not kill indiscriminately, experts say snopes History 21 10 February 2008 05:00 AM
Experts reject rain-earthquake link snopes Science 6 15 August 2007 04:37 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.