snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 06 December 2017, 02:42 PM

Default What is a weird tidbit about yourself

Something weird about me, is that I like peanuts and walnuts and cashews and other nuts on their own. However, if they are mixed with other food, I don't like it. Please do not add nuts to brownies or sundaes or any other food.
Old 06 December 2017, 02:51 PM

Icon23

On the food theme, I actually like fruitcake and am always happy if offered it at someone's house or given it as a gift. It amazes me how often this is considered an abnormal response to something "we" are supposed to hate!
Old 06 December 2017, 02:58 PM

My wife is the same way about nuts in baked goods. For her it is a texture thing. I feel the same way about celery in tuna salad or relish in egg salad.

I think the fruitcake thing came about because it was seen as a "default" gift when you had to get something but had no clue what a person wanted. Tins of popcorn and cheese/sausage baskets were sort of going that way, but never quite got there.

I'm left handed only for writing, throwing a Frisbee, and shooting a rifle. For all other sports and when shooting a handgun I'm right-handed. The rifle/handgun thing is because I'm left-eyed so I use my left eye to sight and shooting a long gun is easier when it is on your dominate eye's side.
Old 06 December 2017, 05:11 PM

I'm not a fan of nuts in baked goods or ice cream, for texture reasons like GenYus's wife.

But I think a weirder tidbit is that I have only 3 sinuses. I'm missing one of the frontal (forehead) ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
On the food theme, I actually like fruitcake and am always happy if offered it at someone's house or given it as a gift. It amazes me how often this is considered an abnormal response to something "we" are supposed to hate!
I like fruitcake, too. So did my parents, and so do all of my brothers. My daughter has broken the chain, she won't touch the stuff. I l blame her father.
Old 06 December 2017, 05:57 PM

Icon86

Quote:
My father once told me that not all fruitcakes are created equal; some of them are truly disgusting because they're too moist from the rum or whatever adult beverage was added, or just plain taste horrid. He loved the dry crumbly type--it went great with coffee! He also told me that fruitcakes had a long shelf life.

Freethinker: I've always been the same way, even before I found out that I had a tree nut allergy. Wanna ruin a recipe? Add nuts. I've never liked nuts--I don't know how I live with myself.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 06 December 2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Straightened out a sentence--thanks Lainie!
Old 06 December 2017, 06:06 PM

I like my fruitcake moist* -- can't say I've ever encountered one I'd describe as "wet."

*Preferably from the liquor it's soaked up.
Old 06 December 2017, 06:11 PM

I like tomato sauce, can tolerate tomato juice, and LOVE ketchup(I put ketchup on my ketchup), but can't stand raw tomatoes.
Old 06 December 2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I like my fruitcake moist* -- can't say I've ever encountered one I'd describe as "wet."

*Preferably from the liquor it's soaked up.
Good catch! I corrected it Thanks.
Old 06 December 2017, 06:28 PM

So my weirdness is so weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
I like tomato sauce, can tolerate tomato juice, and LOVE ketchup(I put ketchup on my ketchup), but can't stand raw tomatoes.
I'm the same way. Ketchup, tomato juice, and tomato sauce are all good. But tomatoes on their own, I can't do. Except for maybe tacos. And the tomatoes are chopped up and don't feel like taking the tomatoes off
Old 06 December 2017, 06:35 PM

Wow, good to hear I am not alone on the nuts and tomatoes thing. Nuts alone, or heavily processed (peanut butter, Butterfinger candy bars, etc.) are fine, but chopped or whole nuts in any kind of food... ugh. Only learned to tolerate thinly sliced or finely diced tomatoes in the last few years, though processed tomatoes are fine.

Love the smell of coffee, but cannot stand coffee flavor in any form. A crying shame, as I am denying myself free drinks almost everywhere.
Old 06 December 2017, 06:39 PM

I have similar feelings about tomatoes. Even when they're cooked, I'd prefer not to have chunks of them in anything (soup, pasta sauce, etc.). When I make a recipe that calls for canned tomatoes, I always use crushed or pureed ones instead of chopped or even diced.

Similarly, I don't care for avocado by itself, but I like guacamole and avocado-based spreads (like on a sandwich), so long as they don't include big chunks of avocado.

In both cases, it's a texture thing.
Old 06 December 2017, 06:41 PM

As far as things that everyone else seems to like but I don't go, I do not like watermelon. To me it just seems like eating a slightly sweet wet sponge. I do like watermelon flavored candy, which tastes nothing like actual watermelon.

I don't think I've ever actually tried fruitcake. But from what I've been told there's a vast difference between a cheap, overly sweet, store bought fruit cake and a good homemade one or one baked by a good bakery that knows how to make a proper fruit cake.
Old 06 December 2017, 06:48 PM

Moving away from food, I don't mind changing diapers. Never bothered me. According to some of my friends this qualifies as weird because "hey it's gross". Maybe but there are worse things one has to deal with in this life IMO.
Old 06 December 2017, 06:58 PM

I actually kind of like doing my taxes. I don't want Congress to "simplify" the tax code. I like itemizing and figuring out what deductions l can take.
Old 06 December 2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Moving away from food, I don't mind changing diapers. Never bothered me. According to some of my friends this qualifies as weird because "hey it's gross". Maybe but there are worse things one has to deal with in this life IMO.
I think it's probably more a question of individual variance than there being worse things. I know people who've gone through some hideous things and still hate changing diapers.
Old 06 December 2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I think it's probably more a question of individual variance than there being worse things. I know people who've gone through some hideous things and still hate changing diapers.
I was thinking more of cleaning up vomit, watching someone bleed or wiping snotty noses - definitely in the gross stuff that can come out of people category.
Old 06 December 2017, 07:29 PM

Teacher

With the food and diapers this seems to be going in the direction of something weird about your character, person, etc. I took it to also include experiences. In that vein:

I have used a bathroom in which a toilet was scrubbed by Kyra Sedgwick.

This somehow relates to my (unofficial) Bacon number of 3.
Old 06 December 2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more of cleaning up vomit, watching someone bleed or wiping snotty noses - definitely in the gross stuff that can come out of people category.
Gotcha. I still think it's down to individual variances, though -- some people aren't bothered at all by blood, some people react more strongly to snot than to poop or vice versa. I'd much rather wipe a snotty nose than clean a poopy diaper.
Old 07 December 2017, 12:15 AM

I don't mind doing dishes or cleaning the bathroom, but I can't stand making up a bed after washing the sheets.
Old 07 December 2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
I have similar feelings about tomatoes. Even when they're cooked, I'd prefer not to have chunks of them in anything (soup, pasta sauce, etc.). When I make a recipe that calls for canned tomatoes, I always use crushed or pureed ones instead of chopped or even diced.

Similarly, I don't care for avocado by itself, but I like guacamole and avocado-based spreads (like on a sandwich), so long as they don't include big chunks of avocado.

In both cases, it's a texture thing.
Hey me too, both the tomatoes and the avocado.