snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 30 November 2017, 10:53 AM

Jaded Things you shouldn't have to tell your apps and devices

No, Pandora, for the fourth time in 2 weeks, I don't want to listen to the Date Rape Song on my Christmas Traditional station. I want happy, cheerful, fun, seasonal music with the occasional respectful and/or spiritual song thrown in. I don't want to hear a tune about sexual coercion, possible spiking of drinks, and creepy manipulation. How many times do I have to "thumbs down" a song before you get the picture?
Old 30 November 2017, 01:33 PM

Roll eyes

No Google, I don't want to post a photo or a review about Some Place I Am Right Now. Who on earth would possibly care that I am at Some Place Right Now?
Old 30 November 2017, 02:04 PM

But you're not supposed to be at Some Place, even when you are! You're supposed to be on Google!
Old 30 November 2017, 02:21 PM

Glasses

No, Facebook, I don't want to repost my old post in guise of a "memory". Nor do I need to celebrate 8 years of friendship with someone I've known for 40 years.

Seaboe
Old 30 November 2017, 04:37 PM

No, workplace desktop computer... I do not want to install upgrades and restart right now.

I've still got 3 more hours of work to go before I can call it a day.
Old 30 November 2017, 05:06 PM

To be fair to FB, a lot of people do like to share those old posts. I often do.
Old 30 November 2017, 05:27 PM

Laptop, this is not a good time for you to decide to have the cooling fan fail. We are trying to not buy any big, expensive electronics or other costly items this holiday season. I sure hope some canned air will fix whatever is causing a problem with your fan.
Old 30 November 2017, 06:36 PM

Glasses

Lainie, I might be more willing to share old posts if it didn't suggest I do so quite so often, and quite so randomly. For example, suggesting two days in a row that I share posts about NanoWriMo, when I post mostly about my dog these days.

Seaboe
Old 30 November 2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
Laptop, this is not a good time for you to decide to have the cooling fan fail. We are trying to not buy any big, expensive electronics or other costly items this holiday season. I sure hope some canned air will fix whatever is causing a problem with your fan.
If you're handy and aren't afraid to open it up, a little mineral oil will usually get a fan going again.
Old 30 November 2017, 07:31 PM

Ok Google, if I am asking you to turn off the flashlight, turn it off. There is probably a reason I'm trying to use a voice command instead of actually using my fingers to turn it off. Like I have gloves on, and I dont want to take them off. Don't pop something up that make a me have to take off my gloves anyway. I could have done that to begin with.
Old 30 November 2017, 08:48 PM

Thanks ad sorter, I already own two of the three things you keep showing me. As much as I want the $2000 life sized velociraptor for my yard, I'm going to get more use out of the eyeglasses and shoes.
Old 30 November 2017, 10:31 PM

No, phone, I did not mean to type "baf." I typed "bad" and don't know why you changed it to "baf." I've never even used baf as an abbreviation.
Old 01 December 2017, 01:46 AM

Hey autocorrect I NEVER mean “ducking”
Old 01 December 2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
Hey autocorrect I NEVER mean “ducking”
And by Murphy's law, as soon as you figure out how to reconfigure your autocorrect settings to reflect this, you'll find yourself sending a series of texts like:
"[...]I was f***ing under the bleachers[...]"
"I meant f***ing!"
"No, not f***ing! *f***ing!*"
" I was stooping down in order to pass underneath the bleachers. At no point while passing under the bleachers did I have intercourse with anyone."

Old 01 December 2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx_TKD View Post
And by Murphy's law, as soon as you figure out how to reconfigure your autocorrect settings to reflect this, you'll find yourself sending a series of texts like:
"[...]I was f***ing under the bleachers[...]"
"I meant f***ing!"
"No, not f***ing! *f***ing!*"
" I was stooping down in order to pass underneath the bleachers. At no point while passing under the bleachers did I have intercourse with anyone."

Yessss. There are some words too that are really only in my phone's lexicon because of inside jokes with specific friends.

Thank god I was only texting my sister and not someone "of prestige" when my phone decided I meant "Teats will roll down my face"
Old 01 December 2017, 01:55 PM

There are many times I will misspell a word but my phone won't correct it. So when I do go to correct the word, for some reason my phone will autocorrect the word back to the misspelling. Sometimes I don't think that smartphones are really that smart. Or could it be that the operator of said smartphone isn't that smart?
Old 01 December 2017, 04:45 PM

I tried to type "other" a few days ago in a text and "llama" kept popping up as a suggestion!
Old 01 December 2017, 04:52 PM

My auto-complete seems really slow to recognize some words.
Old 01 December 2017, 05:10 PM

Dear iTunes. Headphones are still plugged in. How about choosing this time to ask me if I really want to do that, when I accidentally close iTunes in the middle of a song?

While I'm at it, Dear vBulletin - why don't you like clover-B for Bold?

Dear iPhone keyboard, if I've set the keyboard to English, stop suggesting German words for the autocomplete. Except those I use a lot. Like Bahnhof. Everybody understands Bahnhof.
Old 02 December 2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Lainie, I might be more willing to share old posts if it didn't suggest I do so quite so often, and quite so randomly. For example, suggesting two days in a row that I share posts about NanoWriMo, when I post mostly about my dog these days.

Seaboe
I'd have to go look but I wonder if the add-on I use for FB would hide those items- 'share a memory' and 'friendversaries' posts. It definitely has the capabilities to hide a bunch more (No more "suggested friends" or "Friend joined Group XYZ"- nicely hidden now).

I normally don't mind them as sometimes I do share old memories for the heck of it. Not sure what to make of the friendvesaries posts...a bit annoying...